rpm default application & set monkey to run automaticall

Booting, installing, newbie
baconismidog

rpm default application & set monkey to run automaticall

#1 Post by baconismidog »

I need to know which program to set as the default for a rpm file. I know that they will (SuSE 9.2) just run like an .exe in Windows, but I can't seem to get Pup to do it.

Also, I am trying to set up puppy as a headless server, so I need to have the TkVNC and Monkey run at startup. I also need to configure GRUB to default boot Pup in the event of a power failure.

Thanks, I know these are all pretty basic questions but I have been finding answers for lots of other distros and none that pertain (at least to my untrained eye) to the pup.

Sidenote: Which, if any, distro is the pup based on? I.E. - when googling up answers should I click on the Redhat or Debian based hints?

5 questions in one post, I am going for the record... ;)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: rpm default application & set monkey to run automati

#2 Post by Lobster »

As far as I remember there is a Dotpup that can decompress rpm and debian files (that DOES NOT mean) they can be used on Puppy - sorry about the shouting . . .
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/DotPups
(under system utils)

I am trying to set up Monkey can not help you with that or the VNC . . .
. . .someone else?

Puppy is not based on any distro. Barry went back to the beginning and created it from scratch. At the moment it is compiled on Vector Linux (Puppy is developing its own compile dotPup (I hope)

To find answers in Puppy use Start / help
use Barrys Web site
use the old forum and search
use this forum and search
use the wiki
check out if anyone is on IRC

Good luck.
Puppy Power! 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

sunburnt

VNC - Q

#3 Post by sunburnt »

I'm not sure but I think that Puppy VNC is client.
If your using Puppy as the headless server, you'd need a VNC server.
I don't know if they have one already in Puppy, or as an addon
package, you'll have to look.

Start automatically

#4 Post by Guest »

I admit it, I am a Windoze user. I am very good at making Windoze do whatever I want. Thus, Linux in general is flabergasting. Windoze will dance for me, while Linux just steps on my feet and goes home with someone else...

So, what I need is a quick pointer on how to make things start automatically. I am aware that it is called "daemon", but how to do it is a mystery. I have got it to work several times, but that was from application specific help files (i.e. abyss web server help files) and that was on Libranet, SuSE, DSL, or Kubuntu. I really like puppy and I want to use it for the server, but I am getting a little discouraged.

Monkey's help files are very poor, and I am lost. So far, I am about 5 minutes ahead of when I first dot-pupped monkey.

I have also tried unsucessfully to install RealVNC server on the puppy box. Does this work with puppy? If not, is there a VNC server that I can use. The old monitor that I am using for the puppy server is making my eyes go all wooglie :shock:

Thanks for the help so far.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

i made a Monkey package that starts from a rox appdir wrapper

basically, it's a gui ... there are buttons to click ... which doesn't work well from scripts (you can start the gui from a script, but then you would need to click buttons)

it isn't difficult to start Monkey (or Nullhttpd)

first, make sure you run Monkey from the roxapp at least once (this copies files to /root/monkey)

if you look in the Monkey roxapp (right click the icon and click Look Inside) you can use a text editor to read AppRun

basically, to start Monkey as user root, you would type or put this line in a script:

/root/monkey/bin/monkey -c /root/monkey/conf

to start Monkey as user nobody (with limited powers), you would probably make an executable script something like this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
chown -R nobody:nobody /root/monkey/
/root/monkey/bin/monkey -c /root/monkey/con
and run the script as user nobody like this:

su -c /root/monkey/bin/myscript - nobody &

if you put your script in /root.monkey/bin and called it myscript

you could probably do it all on one line, maybe using braces or something ... this is a crude way to do it, but it works (i forget exactly why i did it that way)

you might be able to start Monkey (or httpd) from /etc/rc.d/rc.local ... if not, it might start from /etc/profile ... i don't think it's an X program, but if it is, you would start it from /root/.xinitrc

to stop Monkey, you could use killall monkey

there are some help files in the Monkey roxapp ... right click the Monkey icon and click Help

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Start automatically

#6 Post by Lobster »

[quote="Anonymous"]I admit it, I am a Windoze user. I am very good at making Windoze do whatever I want. Thus, Linux in general is flabergasting. Windoze will dance for me, while Linux just steps on my feet and goes home with someone else...
/quote]

Linux is different. It is a great wrench to change partners and many of flit like bees amongst a meadow of flowers. I spent a two years in a transition period, where I would spend a week in Linux and then run back thankfully to the devil I knew - Windows. My reason for learning Linux (and Puppy is designed to be familiar to Windows users) is simply this. I learnt to use Windows 3.11, it was discontinued. I learn to use Windows 95 and it is discontinued. I used XP and expect it will be discontinued when Longhorn arrives. Programs and OS are just repackaged (a standard marketing ploy). Little by little the commands of the shell and the scripting become acessible. The knowledge does not seem to be wasted. It is my belief that where possible we should be familiar to the majority of users (windows users) and where necessary compliant and familiar to 'standards'. You can not just be a Linux expert, like you were with Windows. They are different.

My transition is documented here
http://peace.wikicities.com/wiki/HolyGeek_Linux_Report
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D