Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 23:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Boot through USB hub: "could not locate usr_cram.fs&quo
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count_1  
Na3than

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2006, 02:14    Post_subject:  Boot through USB hub: "could not locate usr_cram.fs&quo  

I know earlier Puppies stored usr_cram.fs inside image.gz, and current releases don't. But my ThinkPad T40 sees its two onboard USB ports as though they're on a hub, and I think that's what's causing a "could not locate file usr_cram.fs" error during startup (see here).

So I thought, if the RAM disk image is being extracted from the USB drive successfully, maybe I could remaster image.gz, putting usr_cram.fs back into the RAM disk and get it up and running before losing contact with the USB partition. According to Barry's How Puppy Works page, a USB boot still looks for usr_cram.fs in "/" first, before going back to the USB partition.

I remastered image.gz using these instructions (under "new image.gz from scratch"), putting usr_cram.fs at "/". I added "ramdisk_size=61440" to syslinux.cfg at the appropriate point in the Install Puppy USB Drive setup wizard to ensure I could load the whole expanded image (less than 59MB) into the RAM disk.

Well, usr_cram.fs still fails to load, leaving me at a BusyBox command shell. A directory listing confirmed that usr_cram.fs was not at / where it's supposed to be.

I saw that /dev/sda1 was mounted on /mnt/home, and from there I copied image.gz to "/" and unpacked it. I then mounted the uncompressed image as a loopback device on /mnt/data and examined the contents, and usr_cram.fs is right there with bin, dev, etc, and all the other standard Puppy image contents.

What did I do wrong that prevented usr_cram.fs from being copied to / when the RAM disk was created? It looks like some of the directories in my image didn't make it into the RAM disk either, like proc0, root0 and var0, which I copied from the standard image. Did I miss a step in the remastering process?

Gentle advice appreciated.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count_1  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum