[HowTo] Turn On/Off Font Antaliasing

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
PaulBx1

#41 Post by PaulBx1 »

I set up .fonts.conf as above, and the results aer astonishing! Everything is displaying smoother and a little smaller. Firefox is especially clear.
Thanks for such a simple fix. The daft thing is, I am running JWM, which I understood was set up by default!
I too am running jwm in 4.1.2. I tried that exact mod you did, and compared screen snapshots. The snapshot with the default condition (no .fonts.conf file) was sharper than the other case, just the opposite of what you found. Guess it depends on the hardware...

Anniekin

Interesting.

#42 Post by Anniekin »

Subscribed

disciple

#43 Post by disciple »

I don't have any kerning issues with Abiword, probably because I'm using Windows fonts like Arial and they are being rendered exactly the same as they would be in Win98. I do have another problem with fonts in Abiword
OK, obviously I don't use Abiword enough... I do have kerning problems in it after all.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Anniekin

#44 Post by Anniekin »

What in your opinion about sub-pixel rendering?

Code: Select all

<match target="font">
		<test qual="all" name="rgba">
			<const>unknown</const>
		</test>
		<edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>rgb</const></edit>
	</match>
Is it worth it?

disciple

#45 Post by disciple »

Whose opinion? All of us?
My opinion is:
- It is essential for fonts that are really designed for it (The latest generation of Microsoft fonts - Cambria and Calibri or something. Note that I have not actually seen these fonts on linux, so I can't say for sure that the effect is the same as in Windows). But these fonts should never be used because they are hard on my eyes compared to things like Arial :)
- Old fashioned well-hinted fonts like Arial should not use antialiasing or sub-pixel rendering at small sizes. At large sizes they look better with it, but I don't really care as it isn't ruining my eyes either way. It's not costing me anything, so I guess it's worth it :)
- BCI hinting is essential
- Badly hinted fonts should never be used.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

DaveS

#46 Post by DaveS »

Now this has really surprised me: font rendering overall is light years better in 4.3 beta 3, especially Open Office and Seamonkey 1.1.18. So good in Seamonkey in fact that I now no longer need to express a minimum font size, and certainly dont need to install ttcorefonts. This is just 'out of the box' good.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

bups

#47 Post by bups »

This worked out better than I expected. Great job!!