How to install Intel modem driver?

Using applications, configuring, problems
ChazZTheSpazZ

How to install Intel modem driver?

#1 Post by ChazZTheSpazZ »

Ok, i booted puppy on my friend's sony vaio (beautiful system) but i want to get on the internet with it. I took a screenshot and cut out the unimprtant part of the modem wizard. Please view it. I did all the tests but to no avail. I want to make my puppy go online please help me.

P.S. - I hope the pic is of good use.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I think it is safe to say that no Sony computer came with an internal hardware modem. :) Have you tried poking the ttyS* buttons at the bottom of the Modem Wizard dialog window? No harm will come of it if they don't work.

Probably your only hope is to download one of the two Pupget packages the wizard mentions and try it. If it doesn't work, uninstall it and try the other one. You will find the Pupget manager in one of the 3 items at the top of the Start menu. (Sorry, I'm in Windows right now.)

ChazZTheSpazZ

#3 Post by ChazZTheSpazZ »

i went to intel's download site and got the linux driver for this modem and stored it on my ipod mini. Before this, i successfully mounted my ipod. Unfortunately, i did it on accident and cannot remember how i did it :?

I did press all of those buttons and it showed up as FAIL every time

The driver should work, right? It's for that modem and for linux.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

The Intel driver probably won't work "straight out of the box." What kind of file extension does it have? (e.g.: tar.gz?)

Could you post the name of the file and the URL from where you downloaded it?

ChazZTheSpazZ

#5 Post by ChazZTheSpazZ »

the filename is: INTEL-536EP-4.69.1-MDK10.1-SMP.TGZ

Here
's the link.

The one i got is the one on the top of the list.
And, seeing as i'm screwed without, could you tell me how to mount a usb device (such as my iPod Mini)? This way, i can transfer the files. I tried mounting the windows ntfs partition using something i read in another post. It didn't work though.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Ok, I can't help you any further with installing your modem driver. If you want to wait for help I'm certain that someone will soon be along who can. If you want to try to figure it out for yourself you can go here and look under
Installing Additional Software and Applications.

As for mounting USB drives or NTFS partitions, you should be able to do that in MUT (I forget what MUT stands for; Media Something Something.) To start MUT, click on the 3rd (I think) icon from the top left in 1.0.7 Puppy's screen, the icon that looks like a USB pen drive. Sometimes MUT takes a while to start so be patient if nothing seems to happen when you click. Eventually MUT will open and list all the filesystems Puppy can see. If your USB drive is plugged in, MUT should list it as sda1, I think. To the right of it, click on "mount" and walla, a ROX window should open showing the contents of the drive.
Last edited by Flash on Sat 21 Jan 2006, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

ChazZTheSpazZ

#7 Post by ChazZTheSpazZ »

Ah, that's right! That's how I did it on accident. Now I feel stupid. Thanks for the help.

willhunt

I think you got the wrong drive try this one and let me know

#8 Post by willhunt »

here is the driver for mandrake maybe it work for you :)
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts ... 8&lang=eng

ChazZTheSpazZ

#9 Post by ChazZTheSpazZ »

For some reason, when i tried to extract the files for the drivers, it came up with a wrapper error or something like that. I tried to go ahead and follow the instructions in the readme and the script wouldn't work. What am i doing wrong?