TEENpup 2009 Legacy available for Download

News, happenings
legendofthor

#81 Post by legendofthor »

G'day,
tried TeenPup2009 on my Lappy - it wouldn't boot. Need to boot it with nopcmcia.
I usually boot (first time with 'puppy pfix=ram nopcmcia')
But once installed you need to change a file...
EASY FIX!
Series 2 has an issue with PCMCIA devices. Just change:
in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
Change this line about line 20:
include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x800-0x8ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
to
include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x810-0x8ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
It should boot now.
Cheers
Martin
Toowoomba Linux Users Group [url]http://groups.google.com/group/toowoombalinux[/url]

admars

#82 Post by admars »

Hi,

I read about TEENPup a few weeks ago on distrowatch.
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05518

Every now and again I try different distros on my old PC, a PII 450 640mb RAM, but none of them I've tried have performed as well as I'd hoped, or I have problems withcertain apps. CrunchBang Linux Mint Flux and Antix were ok, but performed worse than XP on that machine.

TEENPup 2009 I was really impressed that even using the Livecd it played a 700mb avi file on the hard drive with no problem, the only other distro that I've tried that could do that was geexbox! video is really choppy in normal puppy, maybe that's a xine Vs. VLC thing.

So I finally got round to installing it to the hard drive. I had a few issues with GRUB (dual booting with XP), I had to install again, this thread helped me out
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37252
I had the inode 256 issue, probably casued by playing with gparted/parted magic, and various *buntu distros on there.

Anyway, thought i'd post to say I'm very impressed, and although I've very much been a distro hopper on the PII 450, giving anything lightweight mentioned on distrowatch a go, TEENPup is looking like a keeper :)

Cheers

p.s. another odd thing that may just be me, but when I burned it to a cdrw, 1/2 way through bootinf off the livecd it would kernel panic on 2 different PC. used a dvd-rw, same .iso file, md5 correct, and it booted fine.

john biles

#83 Post by john biles »

Hello admars and anyone else getting a kernel panic.
I have found that if I boot up Puppy 4 series live and then TEENpup which is based on the Puppy 2 series on some PC´s I get a kernel panic during boot up.

If I start TEENpup with ¨puppy pfix=clean¨ then TEENpup boots as expected?

Maybe somethings being stored on the Hard Drive which TEENpup reads related to Puppy 4 ???
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

admars

#84 Post by admars »

Hi,
I did think of that, but I tried 2 different PCs which didn't have saved info, and at least 1 time, I used the switch to use non saved settings.

I wondered if maybe it didn't like that media, as it was odd that as soon as I used a dvd-rw it worked. I probably closed the cd session when I burned it to cd, not that that should make too much of a difference, but maybe I left it open, and it didn't like that?

the main thing is, I used the hard drive installed version for an hour or so earlier, and I'm still happy with it :)

Good work fella, keep it up

Al

rorikon

problem with xorg and xvesa

#85 Post by rorikon »

i have a problem installing teenPUP on my old PC. I have a Dell Optiplex GX150. PIII 866mhz 256mb RAM.. and intel 815 for video driver X.X I tried installing using Xvesa, which you can load the generic driver.

xorg(the big gui right?) doesnt work, i tried all the resolution settings but still no go.

xvesa on the other hand, works, but after a few seconds, it will close automatically. And i have to type xorgwizard again.

and of course, all methods failed. I
s there any text based installer for your puppy?..
And by the way, I'm a newbie at linux.

Colonel Panic

#86 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi. I've downloaded and tried to run Teenpup 2009 on an Acer machine in our local community centre, and it looks great but I've had trouble getting it to recognise the network card which I believe is an onboard NVIDIA 6100. The autodetection doesn't work and none of the listed drivers for a manual installation seem to either.

I don't have the same problem in Puppy 4.20 or 4.21.

Has anyone got any advice please?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

ttuuxxx

#87 Post by ttuuxxx »

Colonel Panic wrote:Hi. I've downloaded and tried to run Teenpup 2009 on an Acer machine in our local community centre, and it looks great but I've had trouble getting it to recognise the network card which I believe is an onboard NVIDIA 6100. The autodetection doesn't work and none of the listed drivers for a manual installation seem to either.

I don't have the same problem in Puppy 4.20 or 4.21.

Has anyone got any advice please?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic.
Hi maybe next time please get the acer model number, it should be located on the side/bottom/back of the case. They make so many models its hard to tell which motherboard/network card, anyways I found one acer that uses the Nvidia 6100 and compiled both drivers for you and made the pets. So it might work and might not.
ttuuxxx
ps this is the drivers I compiled
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_ ... &submit=Go!
Attachments
e1000e-1.0.2.5-i386.pet
(77.79 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
e1000-8.0.13-i386.pet
(81.59 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Colonel Panic

#88 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks ttuuxxx, that's service beyond the call of duty. :)

Those drivers are even small enough to fit on a floppy disk (now I'm without a USB pendrive again, it's my only way of saving and transporting files from home).

I'll try them soon and let you know how I get on.

Best,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

john biles

#89 Post by john biles »

Hello ttuuxxx,
With all your own Projects, I just want to say Thank You for Helping Users who are having problems with TEENpup. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Colonel Panic

#90 Post by Colonel Panic »

Seconded John, and I want to say that despite that problem I think you've done a fantastic job with Teenpup, especially considering you had to work on it all on your own. If ever a Puplet deserved the phrase "labour of love" this was it.

pinguino

#91 Post by pinguino »

Hi John:

I became a regular user of Teenpup, you have done a great work!

I'm trying to use an old DC10 capture card to convert old VHS tapes to DVD, but the command lavrec that cames with mjpegtools claims missing libraries:

sh-3.00# lavrec: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version GLIBC_2.3.3 not found

should I have to install something else?

Thanks,

alex

john biles

#92 Post by john biles »

Hello pinguino,
mjpegtools is looking for version libpthread 2.3.3 when TEENpup's version is 2.3.5 which normally should still work?
You may need to experiment with replacing mjpegtools with another version that hopefully will use the version of libpthread included in TEENpup.

If it was me I'd run TEENpup live and do a little experimenting by install this dotpup see link http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/ and look do the list till you see mjpegtools

If someone else has a better solution with a way to trick mjpegtools into using the version of libpthread included in TEENpup, please post it here.

runtt21

#93 Post by runtt21 »

Try making a link to 2.3.5 and name the link 2.3.3 .
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

ragaman

#94 Post by ragaman »

Second the motion, runtt.

Command is:

ln -s (path and name of library Teenpup has) (path and name of library that YOU APP need)

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

luig1

#95 Post by luig1 »

To install it to the hard drive I have to partion it to ext2 or ext3 and a swap pation then which I got all correct. So do I install the bootload to the mbr or do install it to the partion and use fdisk to set it to boot?

Edit 1: Attempting to re install after fresh format from last attempt.

Edit 2: I got it up and running by installing grub to a diskette. The only problem I'm having is the sound I gues I gotta configure something.

john biles

#96 Post by john biles »

Hello Choco21,
I see you have just joined the forum, welcome.

You don't give enough info in your post for anyone to help you.

Does TEENpup run live from the CD on your PC?
If so are you trying to install it next to Windows on the same Hard Drive or is TEENpup getting the whole Hard Drive for itself?

What are the specifications of your PC EG: Came with Windows 98 Pentium III how much ram that kind of stuff. I'm going to work (Job) soon so won't be able to provide any answers till tomorrow. Can anyone else help while I'm away.

Familyman

Help!: Installing applications using Wine

#97 Post by Familyman »

John,

Kudos to your clear and logical thought while designing this superb distro! It does meet its intended objective of being a complete OS for those looking for an alternative to Windows - especially booting off a 1MB SD card for me. Btw: I had to learn the trick of modifying "syslinux.cfg" with "PMEDIA=usbcard" from the dialogues on this forum. And then I replaced the "initrd.gz" with another (based on Linux 3.1) from the puplet Whitefang that worked on my desktop to finally get going.

I have come to your distro by trying out PuppyLinux official 4.2.1 release on my Eee PC and then wanted to have a similar OS for my Desktop on my 64 MB CF card for which Whitefang worked.

It was then that I wanted to go the whole hog and liked the look of the desktop with what seemed a comprehensive collection of apps - therefore chose Teenpup Legacy 2009 which worked for my Eee PC (bit of a struggle and searching the Net for getting the atl2 drivers install and be recognised).

Now that it works on my desktop I wanted to install Fashion Cents 1.5.1 on the Linux desktop as my wife just loves the game (somehow Win XP MCE with SP3 will not allow it to run - used to work on SP2).

I proceeded to carefully read the Wikka on Wine and thought it should help me to run this app on Teenpup. But it is only DOSBox that comes up and I am left helpless.

Wonder if you have any thoughts/tips? :idea:

ONCE MORE A BIG THANK YOU! :D

~FamilyMan~

john biles

#98 Post by john biles »

Hello Familyman,
If you go to http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Emulators/ you will find wine version 9.17 which was the last version of wine that worked correctly with 2009 legacy.
A while ago someone discovered that if you installed wine 9.17 and then installed wine version I believe it was 1.0 wine over the top of 9.17, 1.0 would work. It wasn't the proper thing to do but it appeared to work.

Now as always I recommend you experiment with this idea while running TEENpup live before upsetting your installed version.

One other trick is to see if there's an older version of the game you want to play as it might run with wine 9.17 while a latter version doesn't.

TEENpup 2010 Mini is getting closer to release and is based on Puppy 4.2.1 which means that latter versions of Wine should run fine with it.

I hope you find TEENpup a usable version of Linux for most day to day tasks one needs a PC for.

Familyman

#99 Post by Familyman »

Dear John,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I did manage to get Wine successfully up and running on the frugal install of the official PuppyLinux kernel 4.20 using the .sfs file saved to my Hard Drive and selecting the .sfs to run at boot from Boot Manager.

I will check out the game install at home.

Meanwhile I did try out the 100 MB games pack by following the instructions given by you for the TeenPup Legacy 2009 frugal install. I could not get any reaction by clicking on "fixmenus" in /usr/sbin. I used run terminal here and typed "fixmenus" which did show 2 lines of icewm, ... menus fixed. But I could not find the game pack anywhere in the menus.

I could see through the file manager that the files have been expanded/extracted successfully and in fact a few like "Starfighter" even had their icon displayed. But clicking it was of no avail.

Mebbe it is something elementary but being a Linux newbie I cannot get the hang of it.

In keeping with your OS philosophy of a mega-XP alternative, I would like you to provide the functionality of the multiple programs in Teenpup Legacy 2009 for the new 2010 release also - mebbe as a .sfs file - since you are slimming down the distro.

~FamilyMan~

john biles

#100 Post by john biles »

Hello Familyman,
Placing the Games Pack in / and unpacking it in the standard TEENpup 2009 Legacy should result in all 11 games working. I don't know if installing wine or any other extra Applications has resulted in a Lib or some other file being deleted or overwritten with an incompatible version that is upsetting your games. Try booting up TEENpup live and installing the games pack and see if the games work. I've installed this games pack on 3 PC's at home with no problems. If you unpacked the games correctly, you should find gcompris, powermanga, kball, enigma, pingus, sabresdl, frozen bubbles, supertux, tuxtype and starfighter in /usr/games
If they are not there you have unpacked the games pack into the wrong directories.

As TEENpup 2010 Mini is based on Puppy 4.2.1, most if not all sfs that run on Puppy 4.2.1 should work with TEENpup. I don't plan to make any sfs apps myself.