RC 1.0.2

Please post any bugs you have found
Lobster
Official Crustacean

RC 1.0.2

#1 Post by Lobster »

tried the serial wheel mouse with Puppy

was doing strange things - too much for me so went bask to the ps2 . . .

ethernet firewall wizard) (which DID bring up a dialogue previously on the updated Puppy - now am starting from scratch) is now bringing up the ethernet connection wizard - even though I have run and connected already . . .
so not coming up

Lob
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

8) time to boot (from forgetting to put CD in drive) 45 secs
version 1.0.1 was 30 secs - so it seems slower . . .

:(

However one neat thing - when turning off the HD was shut down and the keyboard used to flash

now HD and power is turned off

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

oc

install-usb.sh does not work on 1.0.2RC

#3 Post by oc »

I put 1.0.2RC on a CD and booted from it. I then booted from it and ran through install-usb. It failed when it tried to mount -t umsdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash, saying "no such device". That's weird, because a mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash works fine. Also, umssync is nowhere to be found, so that part of the install would have failed as well. Could umsdos just be missing or misconfigured in the kernel?

Problem2: Looking at install-usb.sh, and with my flash drive mounted as msdos, I did a manual install by copying image.gz, usr_cram.fs and vmlinuz and writing a syslinux.cfg and then doing syslinux /dev/sda1. Booting from this drive found vmlinuz and before showing much more output, my computer reboots (Dell GX260 - Pentium4, 1G RAM, 2 HDs).

Olivier Calle

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Okay, I need to check, see if the usb install script is dependent on umsdos.

Unfortunately the 2.6 kernel no longer supports UMSDOS.

dvw86

Re: RC 1.0.2 and kernel panic

#5 Post by dvw86 »

Lobster wrote: ethernet firewall wizard) (which DID bring up a dialogue previously on the updated Puppy - now am starting from scratch) is now bringing up the ethernet connection wizard - even though I have run and connected already . . .
so not coming up
Lob
Same here. Also I get a kernel panic when shutting down the computer if I have it running completely in RAM (live CD with no hard drive or USB device). I get the error "Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!" Version 1.0.1 does not kernel panic when running with the same configuration.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: RC 1.0.2 and kernel panic

#6 Post by BarryK »

dvw86 wrote: Same here. Also I get a kernel panic when shutting down the computer if I have it running completely in RAM (live CD with no hard drive or USB device). I get the error "Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!" Version 1.0.1 does not kernel panic when running with the same configuration.
This is because the kernel is now ACPI enabled for PCs later than year 2001. reports are coming in that such PCs now shutdown where they didn't before -- I think Lobster reported this too.
On the other hand, some people are reporting the reverse!

What is the year of manufacture of your PC? -- probably the year of the BIOS is what matters, and whether it is ACPI-enabled.
Ah, another thing, the 1.0.1 kernel was APM-enabled, but this time it is a module but does not enable at bootup. So, for a PC with APM-enabled BIOS, the kernel is not using APM, which perhaps is the problem.

dvw86

#7 Post by dvw86 »

I am using VPC 6 on a Mac. The BIOS was leased from AMI back in 2002 I believe. You can see more here.