Donation Puppy Computer For Developer

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
dvw86

Donation Puppy Computer For Developer

#1 Post by dvw86 »

I noticed that quite a few people who put a fair amount of effort into puppy are using company computers or rather old computers. Rarsa and NathanF use work computers for Puppy. Lobster does not have one that supports booting from USB, and Pizzasgood shares one with his brother. Is this because they do not have a computer that they can dedicate to Puppy? If this is the case than I would like to get them something that would help in the advancement of puppy. While I can't buy a new computer, I can donate some parts that would make a decent Puppy machine. I have a 512MB chip and a 128MB chip of PC100 SDRAM, as well as a 2GB HD, CDROM, and floppy drive (no bezel). These could go well with a VIA Epia 800 motherboard and a Morex 668. Does anybody have anything to complete a donation computer? I would like them to go to someone who is either unemployed (I was recently laid off myself) or to a student, but anyone who needs a computer for Puppy development and has limited resources is a good candidate.

babbs

#2 Post by babbs »

Good idea... I'll have to check my parts closet... I just gave my daughter's computer my last loose hard drive (a 6GB for hdb). She now grubs W98/4GB/hda and Puppy 1.0.7/hdb.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

If I may say so Pizzasgood is our highest priority - though I believe he is saving for a laptop (me too - so far I have a vat of fish bones saved up).

I also think he would be the most appreciative and the most helped being one of our more youthful Puppys.

I need two ATX power supplies (and am loath to buy an often discarded item) but this is no priority as I have a working machine.

What would be useful and no big deal is a bigger than my current 64 meg key drive to test Puppy2 as it alphas (on another machine).

Come to think of it any 128 meg or above key drives would be great for promotional purposes even on the existing Puppy . . .

Wads of cash for recycling (and nice gifts of thanks) should be sent to: Barry Kauler, P.O. Box 359, Perenjori, WA 6620, Australia
http://www.pupweb.org/puppy/download/downpage.htm
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 24 Feb 2006, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

babbs

#4 Post by babbs »

I'd be interested in having a thumb drive with Puppy Linux embossed on it... :D

Here is one source, but they have a 100pc minimum (up to 2 colors and the embossing is free after their US$50 one-time set-up fee):
http://www.meritline.com/sutapendr.html

Nathan F

#5 Post by Nathan F »

Rarsa and NathanF use work computers for Puppy.
I get by just fine. Send something to Pizzasgood, for goodness sakes. And always support BarryK.

Nathan

willhunt

thats not bad........

#6 Post by willhunt »

I have lotsa older stuff p500 and lower motherboards cases
drives ect let me know If Pizza could use some of those :)

and for puppy drives I like these I know there salty but they
just say puppy to me :)
http://ipromo.com/?fuseaction=product.&productsid=102

dvw86

#7 Post by dvw86 »

Lobster wrote: What would be useful and no big deal is a bigger than my current 64 meg key drive to test Puppy2 as it alphas (on another machine).
I'll mail you one today. It's only 128MB, USB 1.1, and the paint is worn off but it boots Puppy fine. It may take a while to get to you from Oregon state. Have Fun :D
Oh and by the way, I have it pre-loaded with Puppy 1.0.7. I test booted it to make sure that it worked. Then I rebooted off the hard drive and erased the pup100 file so you should be set to go.

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

If I may say so Pizzasgood is our highest priority - though I believe he is saving for a laptop (me too - so far I have a vat of fish bones saved up).
Naw, I'm good. This former "Hunk 'o Junk" is good enough for now. It started out pretty old, but I've slowly upgraded just about everything. The main thing left is the processor. I'm hesitant to put any more money into it, as I'm only going to be using it for a couple months, then I'm going to let my little brother keep it. Besides, it runs plenty well with Puppy. I mostly would need one for games, but I don't like playing them on the computer anyways. I prefer handhelds.

As for my future machine, I have $600 saved towards my laptop. I think Mom is going to pitch in to make up the rest, and call it a graduation present. I have another couple hundred I can spend if I need it. I'm thinking about buying myself one around March or April for my birthday (the Ides of March).

So forget me and worry about those homeless people. :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

not so extraordinary . . .

#9 Post by Lobster »

dvw86 wrote: I'll mail you one today. It's only 128MB, USB 1.1, and the paint is worn off but it boots Puppy fine. It may take a while to get to you from Oregon state. Have Fun :D
Paint worn off sounds fine to me.
I appreciate that very much.
;)
Recently I was able to donate some Linux CD's including Puppy to a library used by teachers in our area. Maybe it is extraordinary idealism to say 'what I can contribute' rather than 'what can I get out of it'.

Maybe it is not so extraordinary . . .
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 22 Jan 2006, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ezeze5000

#10 Post by ezeze5000 »

I probably have a dozen old power supplies laying around.

and a bunch of 450mb hard drives

oodles and gobbs of floppy drives

the price of mailing them would make it cost prohibitive tho

drive cables
power cords
old slow cd drives
more floppy disks than you could shake a stick at.

let me know if your interested.

rarsa

Re: Donation Puppy Computer For Developer

#11 Post by rarsa »

dvw86 wrote:Rarsa and NathanF use work computers for Puppy.
Thank you for the thought dvw86. I agree, Pizzasgood may be a good target as he is still a student.

I use the work laptop, because of convenience. I have a few other computers at home where I can try different things.

The ability to use this laptop is one of the reasons I was attracted to Puppy. I already had several distros on the newer desktop but it was 'neat' to be able to use linux on NTFS. After trying it, I got hooked.

Actually one of the other computers is an older one that I just 'salvaged' from old parts just because I really wanted to have an old computer to try puppy on it and to be able to test on a more limited computer.

One thing to consider is that sometimes Barry hints that he cannot test certain feature he is implementing. That would be an excelent target too. (of course if Barry does not mind being overwelmed with HW laying around)

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

A "target" eh? Makes me feel like an item of food.....
I really don't need anything, except maybe another Saturday each week ;) . Like I said, my current machine is plenty good, and I'll have my own in a couple months or so. I appreciate the thought though.

Actually, it's probably better that I have to take turns with my computer, because I'm more likely to do my homework early while I wait for my turn rather than procrastinating. :roll:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]