Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
ttuuxxx

Re: Xorg Trouble

#21 Post by ttuuxxx »

davec51 wrote:Frugal on a Dell PIV from around 2003, with the usual poor Intel video card: I can't get Xorg to work at all, and VESA only gives an impossibly low resolution. Other Puppies have givend no problem. I tried the boot command "vga=normal" with no results. Is this a function of the new kernel?
no dave its the modules, the intel modules are broken you might as well wait for the next release when they are updated, actually they have to be removed to fix it for others, they cause a memory leak.
this is a quote from Barry's blog :)
"EDIT:
I had tested the ALSA Wizard very soon before releasing the final, so I thought hard, what changed before then and the final? ...ah, one thing, I put rerwin's 537 modem modules in. That's it, take them out and depmod-FULL works.

You will find them at /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/intelmodem

This bug does not affect pup-430-small.iso, only the full size pup-430.iso.
I'm going to rebuild and re-upload it, without the 537 modules. "

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

rerwin

depmod gone mad with Intel537 drivers!

#22 Post by rerwin »

Sorry to hear that my trickery in renaming the various versions of the Intel537 driver has disrupted the full depmod. I will work toward another way to provide all of the versions. It will probably be more convoluted that the simple renaming, but I trust there is a way. I'll shoot for 4.3.1.
Richard

myselfo

#23 Post by myselfo »

In the new locale selection screen during the bootup when no previous session is saved, there is something strange:

an-ES Spain

But that's not correct, the code for Spain should be es-ES... but when I try to select es-ES it appears as "Mexican, Spain". Actually the language is listed as Mexican for every Spanish-language country, which is kind of funny, but wrong :)
It should be "Spanish, Spain", "Spanish, Mexico", "Spanish, Chile", and so on.

magerlab

#24 Post by magerlab »

for some reason SVG icons are not displayed in rox....

Jon_J

Locks up completely upon boot - randomly

#25 Post by Jon_J »

I'm running pup-430-small on a Dell Mini 10
I think my lockups have to do with the Intel GMA500 graphics chip.
I'm not sure. My monitor is never detected in xorg auto detect.
I enclosed the last /var/log/messages file from the last good boot.
I since rmmod the lib80211_crypt_tkip module, since it seemed to display a lot of errors.

I also included a picture I took with a camera of the onscreen messages, since I could find no way to copy them. They start and end like this:
[<c01197e0>] ? do_page_fault 0x0/0x240
[<c0556250>] ? unknown_boot_option 8x8/8x1e8
Attachments
Dscn0263.jpg
(155.3 KiB) Downloaded 1101 times
messages.zip
(6.55 KiB) Downloaded 1008 times
[color=green][size=75]Dell Mini-10 tri boot | Win XP, Mint 7 XFCE, Puppy 4.3-small
Intel Core2 Duo 2.80GHz 2GB Ram Win XP sp3
Pentium 3/600Mhz 256MB Ram tri boot Puppy-Full-3.01|1.0.4|Win98
Sharp Zaurus Linux devices SL-C3100 & SL-C3200[/size][/color]

ttuuxxx

Re: depmod gone mad with Intel537 drivers!

#26 Post by ttuuxxx »

rerwin wrote:Sorry to hear that my trickery in renaming the various versions of the Intel537 driver has disrupted the full depmod. I will work toward another way to provide all of the versions. It will probably be more convoluted that the simple renaming, but I trust there is a way. I'll shoot for 4.3.1.
Richard
when you get the intel drivers working can you let me know, I already made a Firefox version of 4.3 without all the intel drivers and would like to repackage them and update the release.
thanks
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

wuxiandianzi

a bug ??

#27 Post by wuxiandianzi »

I boot the puppy-430-small.iso from cd
when I right click the icon on the desktop,it like this:

And when I right click on the file in the "/",is like this

prehistoric

network problems with 4.30 small

#28 Post by prehistoric »

This does not appear to be a problem with getting the right module. When I use the network wizard I find it correctly identifies the wireless interface on my Dell 610 as the Intel 2915ABG card (ipw2200 module). It successfully scans and finds the encrypted network, with either the network wizard or Pwireless. Something weird is going on after that. It will accept the idea that the encryption is either WEP or WPA2, but refuses to believe I could be using WPA/TKIP.

This worked on 4.25, with occasional problems of interfaces moving between eth0 to eth1 depending on how they loaded. The wired network, which I'm using to post this, uses the tg3 module for a BCM5751.

nubc

#29 Post by nubc »

Awesome, this is the first time I have had my laptop online using Linux since 2003 (Mandrake). After probing, Puppy 4.3 configured my conexant modem as SHSF0, and I accessed the internet by dialup. Then I left the computer unattended but still connected for about 5 hours, and the connection was still good when I returned. Nice work, rerwin.

When I played a downloaded FLV file with gxine, the audio was fine but there was no video, rather a blue square in the gxine window. I mention this because Puppy should work out of the box, and apparently something is not quite right. When I finally install Puppy 4.3 to hard drive, I will be hunting for the latest version of VLC. In fact, VLC would be a good candidate to be standard issue on Puppy, as a backup to media players.
Last edited by nubc on Sat 19 Sep 2009, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

boot or / ?

#30 Post by prehistoric »

This falls in the category of minor irritations which stump newcomers. Like many here, I've gotten used to editing menu.lst myself. Some things I do perplex people who watch me. One of them used his cellphone camera to capture screen shots so he could reproduce my actions.

The universal installer puts vmlinuz and initrd.gz at the root of the directory tree on the installation partition by default. Grub configuration assumes they are in /boot. There is typically no entry for initrd.gz in menu.lst.

Explaining the difference between grub partition numbering and arguments on the command line is a stumbling block for many newcomers which we can't easily remove. We don't want to introduce any more inconsistency in the wizards.

jakfish

#31 Post by jakfish »

What is pup-430.isoTEMP? Time-wise, it appears to be the latest upload.

Thanks,
Jake

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

Puppy 4.3 'small' running on an Asus Netbook with xaraLX sfs

Very pleased at how easy this was to install
and get online :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#33 Post by Lobster »

What is pup-430.isoTEMP?
I'm going to rebuild and re-upload it, without the 537 modules.
Jake, could be a rebuild from Barry :)

http://www.puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01097
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Caneri

#34 Post by Caneri »

Last edited by Caneri on Fri 18 Sep 2009, 17:28, edited 3 times in total.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

jakfish

#35 Post by jakfish »

Lobster, that makes sense. I'll download it and try it out.

Jake

prehistoric

What's with Sylpheed on 4.3?

#36 Post by prehistoric »

This is not part of the original build of 4.3, but it may point to a problem there.

I'm currently testing 4.3 small ISO, with generally good results.

I succeeded in installing Firefox 3.5, (then upgrading to 3.5.3,) and Adobe Flash player 10.0.22.87 then moving my existing .mozilla directory to the new system without problems.

When I tried installing Sylpheed 2.4.7 and moving my mail, there were a couple anomalies: no menu entry for Sylpheed appeared; attempting to open any mail with an attached picture results in a crash. The error message shows an invalid pointer which turned up in glibc.so.6. Could this be a problem with the installer (Puppy Package Manager)? Sylpheed 2.4.7 worked fine with 4.25.

I've attached the gzipped error output. Running Sylpheed --debug gave more information about Sylpheed, but no more clues about the crash.
Attachments
sylpheedcrash.txt.gz
error output from sylpheed 2.4.7 invoked from command line in 4.3 small ISO
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
Last edited by prehistoric on Fri 18 Sep 2009, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

cichlasoma

#37 Post by cichlasoma »

BarryK wrote:I never got around to implementing a boot menu for USB Flash install.

You have to edit syslinux.cfg (or extlinux.conf) on the Flash drive.
Anyway, 4.21 does offer the boot menu when booting from a USB flash disk...

8-bit

#38 Post by 8-bit »

Putting this here so it can be seen by Barry!
I got to thinking that my booting problem with Puppy v43 SCSI with the new kernel could be just SCSI driver related.
So I pulled out the TekRam SCSI card and Put in an Adaptec SCSi card.
I then booted from the Live CD so as not to mess things up and found that I had no more lockup.
I was able to boot to the desktop just fine.
So my entire problem was with lockup was the dc395x.ko driver.
If you dump that driver, all should be fine.
Either that or see if it has been updated.
Matter of fact, I am writing this from a frugal install of Puppy v43 SCSI with the new kernel!
Life is good.
:-) :-)

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: What's with Sylpheed on 4.3?

#39 Post by BarryK »

prehistoric wrote:I succeeded in installing Firefox 3.5, (then upgrading to 3.5.3,) and Adobe Flash player 10.0.22.87 then moving my existing .mozilla directory to the new system without problems.
Going backwards? 4.3 has the latest Flash player.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

prehistoric

more on 4.3 packages

#40 Post by prehistoric »

I'm still running 4.3 small ISO using a frugal install to /dev/sda3, this is a SSD which I've told the universal installer is a CF in an IDE adapter. The boot times are very fast.

I've installed several packages. I had no problem with the Firefox 3.5 pet or the Adobe flash player 10.0.22.87 pet. Since these had worked on my 4.25 installation, I was able to use the .mozilla directory from that previous system after they were installed.

When I installed the Sylpheed 2.4.7 pet, there were two anomalies I noticed with the new PPM: although bogofilter was identified as a dependency it was not automatically installed; I installed this manually without problems; there was no menu entry for Sylpheed. I later installed aspell, from the Puppy 3 repository, to use for spell checking through the "prehistoric hack" of redefining the external editor. This works without problems.

I just installed the gimp 2.4 rc3 pet, which also works. The menu entry appeared without problems. I had no trouble associating files of type xcf with it so it is opened automatically.

At this point I suspect there is something in the sylpheed 2.4.7 pet which the latest PPM has trouble handling.

Except for the network problem, there are no show stoppers on this machine. More later, when I've tried 4.3 on others in my collection.

@BarryK re: flash player

You're too fast for me. I've been replacing old flash players so long I got in the habit. It now works fine without my up/down grade.