Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#41 Post by BarryK »

The file 'pup-430.iso' has been re-uploaded. This fixes the problem with the 537 modules, that caused depmod to crash. My blog report:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01098

Now of course, the warning:
If have already been using 4.3, boot the latest with "puppy pfix=ram" then get rid of old files left behind on the hard drive, that is 'pup-430.sfs' and 'zp430305.sfs'.

If you have already got into using Woof, see my blog report:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01099
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

panzerpuppy

#42 Post by panzerpuppy »

@nubc: Current YouTube Flash videos use the MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) codec.
The GXine/FFmpeg combo in Puppy 4.3 can't play these videos.

What a pity :(

H.264 and VC-1 are the most used codecs on the web

* H.264 (a.k.a. AVCHD or MPEG-4 AVC) is used for YouTube videos
* VC-1 (a.k.a. WMV9 HD) is used for downloadable videos / trailers)

prehistoric

4.3 final reupload works

#43 Post by prehistoric »

I've just installed the re-uploaded 4.3 final ISO (the large one). The network wizard problem reported above is gone. I'm using the same wireless network I had trouble with before to post this.

I'll continue to move things to this system and report any changes to my previous bug reports.

sneekylinux

puppy 4.3

#44 Post by sneekylinux »

hey chaps,been playing about for a little while,but when trying to install stuff from the ppm,it downloads and installs,but get no menu entries.
which is a bit of a bummer...

prehistoric

PPM and menu entries

#45 Post by prehistoric »

I just found a clue about the missing menu entries on pet packages installed in 4.3 with the latest PPM. When I installed gimp 2.4.0rc3.pet downloaded directly from ibiblio there was no menu entry. When I clicked on a local file of the same pet there was no report it was already installed, and the menu entry appeared as expected. In the previous case, where there was no menu entry for Sylpheed, I had also downloaded from ibiblio using the PPM interface. Downloading and installing by clicking on a local pet file did solve the missing menu entry problem.

Alas, the problem of Sylpheed crashing whenever I attempt to view a message with a picture or html attachment remains.

sneekylinux

#46 Post by sneekylinux »

will give that a try before the next video,ta mate

Guest34

#47 Post by Guest34 »

Hello,

It seems if I choose to create the savefile on a hdd partition, at next boot it will copy the pup-430.sfs file from the cdrom to the same partition, for faster booting. But it will not copy the zp430305.sfs file, and won't read it from the cdrom either, so no more modules, no more network. If I copy it manually all starts working again.

prehistoric

that zp430305.sfs file

#48 Post by prehistoric »

@ guest34

From the description you give, I'm assuming you have been booting off the CD, not installing Puppy to the hard drive. That second sfs file has not been standard in recent Puppies, so it won't be copied either by the shutdown script or the universal installer.

Barry will probably do away with the separate file at some point where the issues behind this are sorted out. In the past, we had a zdrv.sfs file that went away in later versions.

kjoe

Remaster Puppy live CD not working any more

#49 Post by kjoe »

Hello,

I am running puppy in frugal mode. As usual, after installing some pet-packages I tried to rebuild a new pup-430.sfs. But this time I was unable to do so. After haven chosen the ramdisk as the working area, puppy next asked for the CD/DVD drive. I have 2 drives (/dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1; both can be accessed), but only my DVD drive (/dev/sr0) showed up in the dialog box. When I clicked on the yes button the script stopped immediately.

When I've tested Puppy 4.3 beta 3, everything worked fine. I think, the remasterpup2 scripts in 4.3. beta 3 and 4.3 final are identical. So there must be another reason...

By the way, the remaster script once offered to choose between the CD drive or a directory that kept the puppy files. I miss this feature as I always have to use a CD to remaster puppy.

kjoe

tlchost

No Desktop on Boot

#50 Post by tlchost »

k2.6.21.7 burned to usb bootable

Desktop does not appear on bootup.....need to enter xwin at prompt. In lieu of fix, what can I do to beat Puppy into submission to bring desktop up automatically.

Thanks

Thom

prehistoric

no problem with Sylpheed 2.6.0

#51 Post by prehistoric »

My previous problems with Sylpheed 2.4.7 went away after I uninstalled it using the PPM, and then downloaded and installed Sylpheed 2.6.0 pet from Puppylinux.ca pet_packages-4. I suggest making this the new standard Sylpheed. Once again, I installed by clicking on a downloaded pet and had the entry appear in the menu without problems.

@ tlchost

Your description leaves a big question about what you're trying to run 4.3 on. If there is a problem with video, that might have some relevance. I also wonder if you checked the md5sum on your ISO and got a good burn. I'm not a guru on this, but I can guess what experts will want to know.

Added: Just as I was about to report complete success with 4.3 final, the wireless network gave me trouble on a new boot. This time eth0 and eth1 were correct, but the connection did not take place automatically. I was able to go through the wizard and bring it up quickly, but it looks like it did not go through the DHCP configuration by itself. This is using the Intel 2915ABG mini-pci card (ipw2200 module).

rjbrewer

#52 Post by rjbrewer »

panzerpuppy wrote:@nubc: Current YouTube Flash videos use the MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) codec.
The GXine/FFmpeg combo in Puppy 4.3 can't play these videos.

What a pity :(

H.264 and VC-1 are the most used codecs on the web

* H.264 (a.k.a. AVCHD or MPEG-4 AVC) is used for YouTube videos
* VC-1 (a.k.a. WMV9 HD) is used for downloadable videos / trailers)
I have a good collection of mpeg h264 videos downloaded from
youtube and other places.

The overall sharpness and quality of playback is excellent
playing them with Gxine in 4.3 small iso...even better than on
my 4.11 and 4.12 installs, which were quite good.

Here is a mpeg h264 movie I downloaded and also burned to
data cd. Used the 477mb medium from right column.

http://www.archive.org/details/Sita_Sings_the_Blues

Most youtube video sucks anyway.
Edit (except for the Lobster Dance)
Last edited by rjbrewer on Sat 19 Sep 2009, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#53 Post by Lobster »

Me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MER7q728aM4

Why am I dancing?
Well my configuration is now sticking between boots. :)

What was the problem?
Gunk!
The HD were my save files are stored had all sorts of
files. Beta stuff. Testing stuff. Config files. Two empty tins of sardines, who knows what.
Got rid of the dead fish . . . and I can now run 4.3 (was thinking of reverting to 4.2 or beta 3 of 4.3)

. . . and now back to the dancing :lol:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#54 Post by Lobster »

When I started using Puppy, it was one of the only Linux that had easy comprehensive and comprehensible notes

Click on Menu / help / Release Notes for Puppy 4.3
continues that tradition :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ttuuxxx

Re: PPM and menu entries

#55 Post by ttuuxxx »

prehistoric wrote:I just found a clue about the missing menu entries on pet packages installed in 4.3 with the latest PPM. When I installed gimp 2.4.0rc3.pet downloaded directly from ibiblio there was no menu entry. When I clicked on a local file of the same pet there was no report it was already installed, and the menu entry appeared as expected. In the previous case, where there was no menu entry for Sylpheed, I had also downloaded from ibiblio using the PPM interface. Downloading and installing by clicking on a local pet file did solve the missing menu entry problem.

Alas, the problem of Sylpheed crashing whenever I attempt to view a message with a picture or html attachment remains.
try using claws mail, This is the last version they made with openssl, then they moved to gnutls
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 0-i386.pet
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

drbongo

New version of 4.3 and md5sum's

#56 Post by drbongo »

Hi the prodigal drbongo here! In have been away from the kennel (AWOK?) for a while but I am very impressed with 4.4, nice looks, plenty of really useful new apps and the same lightening fast response. The only thing I am confused about is that fact that Barry said he was going to upload the new version and I don't know which one I have, given the time zone difference etc, I might have downloaded it just before or just after he uploaded it. So the question is this, have the md5sum's been updated or not? Because I just downloaded it again and the md5sum don't match - it could be that the download was corrupted or that the md5sum hasn't been changed from the first iso which I seem to remember was about 110MB, and this one is only 105MB, could someone confirm what the md5sum of the new and slightly earlier versions should be?

drbongo

Iguleder

Ext4 problems?

#57 Post by Iguleder »

Unable to boot with 4.3 final, from an ext4 partition and a fat32 flash drive.
It says "unable to locate pup-430.sfs" or something similar, or shows some weird kernel panic.

I tried loglevel=7, it shows error messages that have something to do with USB, when booting from the flash drive. If I haven't mistaken, it's something with the "usbcore" module.

Beta 3 worked just fine for me ... also recognized my ext4 partition. That's weird, same kernel after all. I tried both with the extra sfs in 4.3 and without it, same result. 4.2.1's good ol' kernel .25 also works, of course, but without ext4/smp support.
I'm currently Woofing a set of custom 4.3's with .21, .25, .29and .30.5 (and other modifications) ... I gotta check this. It's easy to reproduce this so-called bug.

Clean root, clean Puppy subdir, no old saves, no old sfs's ...

I've noticed one topic with a problem booting from USB ... a kernel panic. Maybe it's something serious, and people will face this problems in the upcoming week or so, when they update to 4.3.

I use 30.5 on Arch (64 bit, matters?), in parallel to Puppy. It works perfectly.
Is it possible that my modern Core 2 Duo, 2 GB system won't work with Puppy's 30.5? :cry:

First time Puppy misbehaves like that. Grrrr.

EDIT: downloading 430-small too ... gotta try that too.
Last edited by Iguleder on Sat 19 Sep 2009, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#58 Post by aarf »

puppy430small, the first official puppy to support wifi out of the box on eeeepc701. hallelujah 8)
unpacked iso and copied to folder, removed pmedia=cd from isolinux.cfg, grub boot with menu.lst edit as:

Code: Select all

title puppy430small on hda2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /puppy430small/vmlinuz pfix=copy nosmp phome=puppy430small psubdir=puppy430small acpi=force pfix=fsck
initrd /puppy430small/initrd.gz
PS. i am sure BK is at least partially colour blind :( or my screen doesn't capture the full grandeurs of the colour layout :wink: it looks like my clothes after 5 years of weekly washing = rapidly approaching universal grey.
if you save your password wrong seamonkey wont overwrite updates you have to manually remove the wrong password from storage.
i miss the popup tool bar on the top of the screen from 4.2.1
ok that 5 minutes worth of looking now back to playing with
my new small puppy..
Edit : that is OPEN WIFI someone needs to test WEP before we can rejoice completely.
Last edited by aarf on Sat 19 Sep 2009, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch

#59 Post by Aitch »

Barry

For some reason this version, 4.3 final, large version, liveCD, not installed, doesn't find my network card Realtek rtl8111/8168B PCI-E, which I'm now posting from UPup 466 using r8169 driver, ....
[which although it's working, I wish you could sort out what I think is a timing issue, or some sequence of events which isn't quite right, and is common to many puppies, IMHO.....
- I nearly always have to run the network wizard twice before I can get on the net & have been posting this as a 'fix' for noobies for some time....which is off-putting for some of them...]

both 4.3 & 4.3scsi same problem - no network driver, even clicking load module, does nothing :(

in hardinfo, benchmarks don't give any results....was trying to check smp performance on this P4D dual 2.6ghz box

otherwise, 4.3 seems good, - usb drive icon appears plugging in my 16gb key, but peculiarly, my CD drive icon shows as sr0....is this a designed change? both sata hard drive and ide dvdrw show under scsi devices, in hardinfo

Suggestion: Is there any chance of adding a bluetooth wizard, as usb bluetooth devices don't seem to be usable?

Ah, just spotted, Alcor microcorp usb2 web camera shows in hardinfo, but no camera in gtkam camera manager - oops upup466, will check 4.3 and update you on this issue

thanks

Aitch :)

DaveS

#60 Post by DaveS »

Two small things:
In all Puppies in 4.2 series, hitting the power-off button on my laptop induced a controlled shut down. Not in 4.3
In all Puppies I ever tried, the 'wifi active' lamp on my laptop works EXCEPT in 4.3, though it flashes on and off as it logs on to the network.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!