Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
dawg

#61 Post by dawg »

DaveS wrote:In all Puppies in 4.2 series, hitting the power-off button on my laptop induced a controlled shut down. Not in 4.3
Same here, I've also reported this in the beta thread(s).

Jim1911

#62 Post by Jim1911 »

This is the best base pup yet. It's fast, new icons and background looks great, and everything appears to work on my system. Also on an old Sony laptop with only 64MB ram.

Only one problem, a frugal installation on an ext4 partition (created by pup) still is not recognized. Otherwise support for ext4 looks good.

Great job team,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sat 19 Sep 2009, 22:42, edited 2 times in total.

panzerpuppy

#63 Post by panzerpuppy »

PPM bugs:

- When installing the cursor_themes-1 package with the Puppy package Manager, the available free space is incorrectly calculated and displayed.

- In Puppy 4.1.2 / 4.2 'Package' icons are displayed beside each package in the PPM package list. The PPM in Puppy 4.3 doesn't display anything.

- After uninstalling the cursor_themes-1 package, pcur still lists all the cursor themes.
The cursor theme folders in ~/.icons are not deleted.

Brown Mouse

Missing programs and internet connection

#64 Post by Brown Mouse »

I understand it's very early days but cant seem to fix this problem.
Installed 4.3.0 today replacing 4.2.1.by making the recomended changes to the existing pupsave file.
All seemed to boot ok but on reboot lost internet connection and it cant seem to locate any network card using Wizard.Reinstalled again but still the same errors.No problems auto detecting and connecting with all my other distros.

Also cant gain access to the control panel or several other programs from the menu and Pwidget not functioning either.

Regards

rjbrewer

#65 Post by rjbrewer »

Puppy 421 was a community effort; 4.3 was built by Barry and
is quite different, doesn't have the looks (pwidgets), same
kernel in every version and other changes.

Would have been best to try the new iso independently.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Brown Mouse

#66 Post by Brown Mouse »

rjbrewer wrote:Puppy 421 was a community effort; 4.3 was built by Barry and
is quite different, doesn't have the looks (pwidgets), same
kernel in every version and other changes.

Would have been best to try the new iso independently.
I understand where your coming from and will certainly have a go but does that not go against the grain with regards to easliy updating without the loss of data from one pupsave file to another ?

James C

#67 Post by James C »

If you followed this:

From the announcement thread:

Upgrading from an earlier puppy. If you have a "pup_save" file and you want to upgrade it, it has to be renamed. Say that you are booting from live-CD and you have 'pup_save-john.2fs' on the hard drive (or whatever) -- make a copy of it (to be on the safe side!) named 'pupsave.2fs', then boot or reboot Puppy 4.3. That's it, pup 4.3 only recognises save files of name 'pupsave*.2fs' (where '*' means wildcard).

.............then it's possibly a corrupted save file.

HTH

ecube

Upgrade to 4.3 final

#68 Post by ecube »

I upgraded from a frugal installation of 4.2.1 to 4.3. using the scheme

1. Copy the 4.2.1 root folder to /mnt/home.

2. Install 4.3 on the partition where 4.2.1 resides

3. Install pet and sfs packages.

4. Copy personal folders and configuration scripts from 4.2.1 root to 4.3 root.

Cheers :D

ecube

rerwin

Intel 537 modem modules corrected to avoid depmod-FULL loop

#69 Post by rerwin »

Attached are the corrected Intel537 drivers that do not upset depmod-FULL. The firmware got changed, too. I edited the source code to substitute my names for "Intel537" and built the modules legitimately -- no "trickery." I will follow up with the new source tarball and instructions in a day or two. (It's very late here.)

UPDATE 10/6/09: I have added an updated modem.rules file to the firmware dotpet. The rules file distinguishes a particular Intel537 modem from an Intel536 modem, both of which have the same vendor and device IDs. The file is now compatible with the kernel 2.6.25.16 version of puppy 4.3, in addition to 4.3.1-2.6.30.5. Therefore, it can be installed there to avoid needing separate modem-rules files for each version of 4.3.x. I have not tested it with the 2.6.21... version, but expect it should work. (I will verify that in coming days.)
Richard
Attachments
intel-537EP_secure-2.60.80.0-3.pet
Intel537 firmware and rules update to match the corrected modules
(10.24 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 07 Oct 2009, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#70 Post by aarf »

i am wondering if i need to use these update drivers? and if so which one(s)?
everyone is saying how fast 430 is but mine, 430small, is noticeably slower than anything puppy i have used recently. mainly seamonkey usage is noticeably slow because thats what i have mainly used so far or is it just the new seamonkey that is slower than my usual opera and previous seamonkeys? .

Iguleder

#71 Post by Iguleder »

I'm unable to boot using Barry's 4.3. It's unable to locate pup-430.sfs. I boot from an ext4 partition, and GRUB is configured correctly.

However, booting from a flash drive with the original 4.3 had a kernel panic, because of the "usbcore" module.

I Woofed a 4.3 with all the defaults (just ran the scripts: no changes in *SPECS*), and now it boots from the flash drive, and the problem with the HD boot persists. However, there are some errors ... (var/log/messages):

Sep 20 10:26:35 (none) daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/parport/parport.ko': No such file or directory
Sep 20 10:26:35 (none) daemon.notice modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting lp (/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Sep 20 10:26:35 (none) daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/parport/parport.ko': No such file or directory

Sep 20 10:26:35 (none) daemon.notice modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting lp (/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

DaveS

#72 Post by DaveS »

Iguleder wrote:I'm unable to boot using Barry's 4.3. It's unable to locate pup-430.sfs. I boot from an ext4 partition, and GRUB is configured correctly.
Just a thought, check that your 430 file is labeled pup-430.sfs, and not pup_430.sfs
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Rickrandom

#73 Post by Rickrandom »

I did my usual frugal install (Isobuster to extract the relevant files from the iso, no need to boot from a CD) but it wouldn't boot, saying pup-430.sfs not found.

I thought perhaps it was the upper case/lower case issue, but no.

I changed the file name from pup_430.sfs to pup-430.sfs, and it worked, so it seems to be a typo bug in the frugal install.

Edit: just seen someone with same suggestion - must type quicker!

aarf

#74 Post by aarf »

Rickrandom wrote:I did my usual frugal install (Isobuster to extract the relevant files from the iso, no need to boot from a CD) but it wouldn't boot, saying pup-430.sfs not found.

I thought perhaps it was the upper case/lower case issue, but no.

I changed the file name from pup_430.sfs to pup-430.sfs, and it worked, so it seems to be a typo bug in the frugal install.

Edit: just seen someone with same suggestion - must type quicker!

which 430 are you talking about?
in the iso itself, is it pup_430.sfs or pup-430.sfs?

in 430 small.iso it is correct at pup-430.sfs,.

DaveS

#75 Post by DaveS »

Correct iteration is pup-430.sfs throughout. Note: Dougal remaster script (Pupremaster), which is NOT included in 4.3, also creates a wrongly named sfs.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Iguleder

#76 Post by Iguleder »

I'm talking about a Woofed 4.3 (all defaults). The original, Barry's "big" 4.3 doesn't boot at all, even from my flash drive. Beta 3 booted only from my flash drive, too.

I tried (in psubdir):
- pup_430.sfs
- pup-430.sfs
- pup-430.sfs + pup_430.sfs
- pup-430.sfs + pup_430.sfs + copies in root

None worked with my ext4 partition. But booting from my flash drive found the SFS on my HD and loaded it (so it booted faster :wink: ).

Something with 30.5's ext4?

EDIT: 430-small doesn't work too!
Currently testing:
- Woof- default 430, except changed themes and added Stardust icon theme, kernel 30.5, all modules (inc. SCSI, skipped all "cut-down" steps), zdrv, skipped stripping.
- Woof- same as above, kernel 2.6.25.16.
Last edited by Iguleder on Sun 20 Sep 2009, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

plaguedogs

#77 Post by plaguedogs »

no sound on dell inspiron 1525. module loads. it shows after an "lsmod" and alsa mixer shows my card, and it shows in /proc///codec file. i thought it was just 2.6.30.5 kernell but i tried the older 2.6.25.16 still no sound.. i have woofed a few pups with 2.6.30.5, none have sound. but my spups made with 2.6.29.6 work fine. my sound card in a sigmatel, covered by the hda snd intel module. and im having problems with devx. my boot config gui says its loaded but i can not run make or gcc. i am aware of the sfs3 and sfs4 situation, i have the correct version.

Brown Mouse

#78 Post by Brown Mouse »

James C wrote:If you followed this:

From the announcement thread:

Upgrading from an earlier puppy. If you have a "pup_save" file and you want to upgrade it, it has to be renamed. Say that you are booting from live-CD and you have 'pup_save-john.2fs' on the hard drive (or whatever) -- make a copy of it (to be on the safe side!) named 'pupsave.2fs', then boot or reboot Puppy 4.3. That's it, pup 4.3 only recognises save files of name 'pupsave*.2fs' (where '*' means wildcard).

.............then it's possibly a corrupted save file.

HTH
Those were the exact instructions I followed.
In the end I took the pupsave file from 421 off my hdd and did a clean install of 430 and it all seems to work fine now.
Regards

mawebb88

Testing pup-430 on an EeePC901

#79 Post by mawebb88 »

Testing pup-430 on an EeePC901

ALSA
Still problems for me. There is no master volume control (I reported this both in b2 & b3 I think)l. The volume control on the task bar is permanently indicating muted. If I right click in the task-bar volume icon I get the window with a master slider but cannot move it (see screen shot). Ran the Alsa wizard but no joy in fixing the problem.

Samba
I cannot create any Samba shares within 430. In 412 I have a /shared folder with "Path = /shared" in my smb.conf. In 430 I just get errors in the log of pnethood which I can replicate from the command line using

smbmount //192.168.1.239/shared /mnt/network/PUPPY_EEE/SHARED (I manually added this mount point).

Output is:
"Error connecting to 192.168.1.239 (Connection refused)" etc

I have Googled a lot on this but only red herrings so far.

(BTW pnethood still works fine with 430 with samba shares on my LANDisk as it did with 412)

I decided to rather that start from scratch with 430 as I was doing and go for a 412 upgrade using my 412 save file. The upgrade went reasonable ok so tested samba mounting the /shared folder again. Lo and behold it works!!!!. But but I still want to solve doing this without an upgrade as there were several other issues with this which I won't bother you with now (except for one. No sign of my 412 installed pets in the 430 Package Manager).

Copy/Paste from rxvt to Geany
For the life of me I cannot get this to happen. Installed sakura but still cannot paste to Geany

Any clues welcome to solve these issues?

To leave on a +ve note Seamonkey is faster what in 412.

Rgds Mike
Attachments
Sound_mixers.png
(62.63 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
Last edited by mawebb88 on Sun 20 Sep 2009, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

eztuxer

#80 Post by eztuxer »

Wifi not working on AAO (Acer Aspire One).
Was working fine on beta 1&2.
Module ath5k loaded instead of ath_pci.

Mouse still sluggish with wired or wireless mouse.
Works fine on a Futjitsu Siemens desktop.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !