Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Oct 2019, 10:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 21 [301 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
Rickrandom

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 12:00    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
Rickrandom wrote:
I have the pup-430-small.iso (downloaded 18 Sept, 17:42 UK time) which Isobuster shows contains PUP_430.SFS (dated 16 Sept 09, 18:51:58)
must have been the leprechauns.
In Windows (oh the shame, I guess Puppy will look inside an ISO without burning to a CD, but I don't know how) pup-430-small.iso contains PUP_430.SFS as attached:
Iso _files.PNG
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  Iso _files.PNG 
Filesize  37.24 KB 
Downloaded  403 Time(s) 
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 12:07    Post subject:  

You guys that are having trouble finding the packages you want in Package Manager................. are you checking the radio button at the bottom of the left hand list for "all"?
mawebb88

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 12:31    Post subject: 412 to 430 upgrade  

I and torn between starting fresh with 430 and doing an upgrade from my beloved 412. In view o the problems I am having with samba(server) on the fresh 430 approach I think I will resort to the 412 to 430 upgrade path.

To correct the PM problems I reported I will re-install (in the upgraded 430) all I have in the 412 save file so that PM builds the user-installed-packages file so I can see what's installed again. Tried copy/paste the alienpackages.txt contents to the user-installed-packages file but PM although it listed the ex 412 apps after an un-install of one app the pasted stuff was wiped!

Its the only approach I can think of to get rid on the special drivers (e.g. Eee fan control) out of the upgraded 430 as these are only valid for the previous kernel.

Rgds

Mike
r__hughes

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 13:04    Post subject:  

---------------------------------------------------------
reedited 22sep09 (Partview problem is NOT a PUP430 issue) see below
-------------------------

pup430 (full) grub-booted frugal on an IBM T22 Thinkpad & a DELL Dimension 2400 PC (both upgrades from pup425).
Works beautifully on both - exceeds expectations with regards to printing (native CUPS Canon S520 printer) & networking (T22 via D-Link DWL-610 wireless & PC via ethernet)
I have the devx-430.sfs & (SFS-Converted) OpenOffice-3.0.sfs4.sfs - All work fine.

I have 2 minor problems:-

1) pup430 pmount has a problem recognizing some of my USB devices eg my Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4G - not recognized/displayed by pmount (even though booted from it) - have to use MUT (which is the solution) & Puppy Event Manager & Restart X server to get it on the desktop. I have also made it a bootable USB flash drive using the Universal Installer but need to use mbr.bin (not the default setting) to make it bootable on my DELL PC.

2) Even though I have successfully installed several pet & unleashed packages I have problems installing partview - It appears to install & even puts itself (ineffectively) in the menu under Filesystem but when run from the terminal gives this scripting error (even though the partview script is identical to the one from pup421)

Quote:
# partview
Error in startup script: child process exited abnormally
while executing
"exec /bin/losetup-FULL /dev/loop1 | grep "/pup_save" | cut -f 2 -d "(" | cut -f 1 -d ")" | cut -f 4 -d "/" "
(procedure "df_check" line 11)
invoked from within
"df_check"
(file "/usr/sbin/partview" line 84)
#

I miss partview! I use it a lot together with gdmap (which I am pleased to see is a standard pup430 menu/filesystems item Smile - I have to manage very big files/folders on a tight laptop diskspace budget & partview helps a lot.

22sep09
re: partview problem
A) virgin pup430 save-file with no extras from fullsize pup-430.iso
installed partview-4.1.pet run from terminal gives error Sad

Quote:
# partview
bash: /usr/sbin/partview: /usr/bin/wish: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
#

B) Ditto from virgin pup430 save-file with no extras from pup-430-small.iso Sad

C) Attempted upgrade from pup421 was a complete disaster with no icons AND no partview Sad

Note: from A) & B) above it is clear that a wish library is missing
from my original problem in (2) above it is clear I have an old version of wish installed Sad Sad
ie This is NOT a Puppy 4.3 problem
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by r__hughes on Tue 22 Sep 2009, 13:38; edited 1 time in total
Kenny-M

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 13:37    Post subject:  

Puppy 430-k2.6.25.16-SCSI

A lot of material coeverd here, sorry. It's getting so close I can touch it.

Can now install CS4236 sound driver without system crashing during shutdown. Great.

Problem, volume control Zmixer does not work. Can not move Master output. I have to use Alsa Mixer. After reboot volume apparently is reset to 0.

I used Gparted to create an EXT2 partition on sdb1 and an FAT32 partition sdb2. They functionally work under Puppy however Windows XP does not recognize the FAT32 partition and ignores it. I have Ext2Explorer from:
http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs
It seems to no longer be able to open the EXT2 partition?

Universal Installer now installs to SCSI drive. Great. I used Frugal install. However you have to run Grub as a seperate task. As a safety measure I insltalled boot info to a floppy drive and the Grub binaries and menu.lst to sdb1/boot/grub which works OK. Now that I know it works how do I put the boot info from the floppy onto the first hard drive? The second drive partition 1 holds Puppy.

SMB printing works to an XP print server OK however there still exists error messges displayed in the ESP Printers window complaining about Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED) although it works.

I am able to download and use PET files OK. What's the deal with SFS files? Do they now require special procedures? Example, say I want to install the devx-SFS3_430.sfs (can I assume this will work with 430-k2.6.25.16-SCSI?) ?

Last, will the 430-k2.6.25.16-SCSI version continued to be updated and fixed and what impact does this have on the standard version runninng 2.6.30.5 if I were to create programs?

Thanks...

aarf

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 13:54    Post subject:  

Rickrandom wrote:
aarf wrote:
Rickrandom wrote:
I have the pup-430-small.iso (downloaded 18 Sept, 17:42 UK time) which Isobuster shows contains PUP_430.SFS (dated 16 Sept 09, 18:51:5Cool
must have been the leprechauns.
In Windows (oh the shame, I guess Puppy will look inside an ISO without burning to a CD, but I don't know how) pup-430-small.iso contains PUP_430.SFS as attached:

hmmm seems to be your unzipper that may be at fault. have had a similar unzipper problem in windows oh so long ago.
In puppy just click the iso and it will open and show you what is inside.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
aarf

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 13:58    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
You guys that are having trouble finding the packages you want in Package Manager................. are you checking the radio button at the bottom of the left hand list for "all"?

searched all the way through and just cant find anything that looks like widgets. what is the exact name so i can pick it out of he alphabetical list? even searched the forum for a pet and still no widgets or pwidgets.pet to download.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 14:06    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
DaveS wrote:

searched all the way through and just cant find anything that looks like widgets. what is the exact name so i can pick it out of he alphabetical list? even searched the forum for a pet and still no widgets or pwidgets.pet to download.

Pwidgets ***

rjbrewer

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 14:33    Post subject:  

r__hughes wrote:

I miss partview! I use it a lot together with gdmap (which I am pleased to see is a standard pup430 menu/filesystems item Smile - I have to manage very big files/folders on a tight laptop diskspace budget & partview helps a lot.

I have partview from here working fine on 430 small iso.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=643450707&t=34856

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 15:08    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
DaveS wrote:

Sincere appologies. Did a fresh install to check, and Dear Lord, Pwidgets is not in the package manager.
Find it here. Just install it, it is well behaved
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35601

prehistoric

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 15:15    Post subject: more 4.3 tests  

I've run 4.3 on two more systems without any show stoppers.

There was a problem with video which no one but me seems to admit to seeing. On one machine with embedded nvidia video, the nv driver needed the "swcursor" option. Otherwise, it would not display a cursor, though you could select things with the mouse if you could guess where the invisible cursor was. I was able to edit xorg.conf. Neophytes would have to get by with xvesa.

@ttuuxxx

I'm happy with Sylpheed 2.6.0 at present. Claws mail has given me too many scratches in the past. It fools me into thinking everything is O.K. until I have a lot of mail to recover. I'm big on stability, and down on feeping creaturism.
rockdove

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 15:20    Post subject: xf-prot
Subject description: Has anyone tried it with success?

I did a fresh frugal install on my desktop PC (Celeron 1.6Mhz, 512MB) and xf-prot antivrus install broke. It needs to install itself and it's script is not passing along the URL to wget.

In the spirit of full disclosure, this was in ttuuxxx's Puppy "431" firefox puplet, but I thought I should check in here . . . Laughing

The pup-430 frugal on my laptop is OK because I didn't have to install xf-prot. It uses a save file left over from the betas (betae?).

BTW, ttuuxxx's firefox puplet is a greyhound.
nic2109

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 16:25    Post subject: Two minor bugs
Subject description: Network Wizard Scan "funny" and Screen Resolution issue

1) The Network Wizard has developed a "funny" in Wireless mode. The first run of 'Scan' always returns 'No networks found' and then 'Retry' works just fine and finds the network, which was there all the time, of course.

2) The boot process correctly detects 1440 x 900 as the required resolution and builds xorg.config accordingly, but then displays at 1024 x 768. This is on a laptop with on-board Intel graphics which is new behaviour as Intel always used to be OK; as well my usual one with an ATi card (every Puppy gets this wrong until a driver is added with a .pet).

edoc

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 18:36    Post subject:  

What is the purpose of 'zp430305.sfs', please?

I read the release notes http://puppylinux.com/download/release-4.3.htm where I found this reference:
Quote:

"SFS files. I have mentioned 'devx_430.sfs' and 'zp430305.sfs' files above. So, what actually are these .sfs files?"

But there is, in fact, no prior reference to 'zp430305.sfs', just a generic reference to SFS files.

TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603
scabz

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep 2009, 19:53    Post subject:  

zp430305.sfs is explained herehttp://www.puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01045
Page 7 of 21 [301 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: