Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
prehistoric

more 4.3 tests

#101 Post by prehistoric »

I've run 4.3 on two more systems without any show stoppers.

There was a problem with video which no one but me seems to admit to seeing. On one machine with embedded nvidia video, the nv driver needed the "swcursor" option. Otherwise, it would not display a cursor, though you could select things with the mouse if you could guess where the invisible cursor was. I was able to edit xorg.conf. Neophytes would have to get by with xvesa.

@ttuuxxx

I'm happy with Sylpheed 2.6.0 at present. Claws mail has given me too many scratches in the past. It fools me into thinking everything is O.K. until I have a lot of mail to recover. I'm big on stability, and down on feeping creaturism.

rockdove

xf-prot

#102 Post by rockdove »

I did a fresh frugal install on my desktop PC (Celeron 1.6Mhz, 512MB) and xf-prot antivrus install broke. It needs to install itself and it's script is not passing along the URL to wget.

In the spirit of full disclosure, this was in ttuuxxx's Puppy "431" firefox puplet, but I thought I should check in here . . . :lol:

The pup-430 frugal on my laptop is OK because I didn't have to install xf-prot. It uses a save file left over from the betas (betae?).

BTW, ttuuxxx's firefox puplet is a greyhound.

nic2109

Two minor bugs

#103 Post by nic2109 »

1) The Network Wizard has developed a "funny" in Wireless mode. The first run of 'Scan' always returns 'No networks found' and then 'Retry' works just fine and finds the network, which was there all the time, of course.

2) The boot process correctly detects 1440 x 900 as the required resolution and builds xorg.config accordingly, but then displays at 1024 x 768. This is on a laptop with on-board Intel graphics which is new behaviour as Intel always used to be OK; as well my usual one with an ATi card (every Puppy gets this wrong until a driver is added with a .pet).
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

edoc

#104 Post by edoc »

What is the purpose of 'zp430305.sfs', please?

I read the release notes http://puppylinux.com/download/release-4.3.htm where I found this reference:
"SFS files. I have mentioned 'devx_430.sfs' and 'zp430305.sfs' files above. So, what actually are these .sfs files?"
But there is, in fact, no prior reference to 'zp430305.sfs', just a generic reference to SFS files.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

scabz

#105 Post by scabz »

Magruder

#106 Post by Magruder »

Can someone give me a hint on how to deal with the missing nic driver issue?

I'm doing fine on 4.2, but when I boot 4.3, Puppy can't find any drivers to load.

Rerwin, I downloaded and installed the 5 pets you made available. That didn't help. Can I just copy a folder or two containing drivers from the 4.2 setup over to 4.3? I did copy /initrd/mnt/dev_save/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/initrd/kernel/drivers; that apparently wasn't the one I need. Can't tell if I'm on the right track or not.

edoc

#107 Post by edoc »

Thanks!

I also found the discussion of default apps interesting.

I'd love to see a menu on the first boot - with a default "Standard" choice a newbie might choose to get Barry's recommended apps - but from which a user may review and select specific apps from a category-indexed list.

Best of both worlds - choice for the more sophisticated users, quick and simple for the newbie.

Perhaps the development of WOOF may make this a more practical option than it has been previously?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Jim1911

#108 Post by Jim1911 »

I reformated an ext4 partition using Gparted to ext3 since pups cannot be installed to ext4 partitions.

The new ext3 partition still shows as ext4 when hovering over the icon.
EDIT: Booting with "puppy pfix=ram", the partition shows up correctly so something about the partition must be saved in the pupsave file. Thanks scabz, your suggestion is good, however, that should be taken care of automatically with a reboot.
Last edited by Jim1911 on Mon 21 Sep 2009, 14:40, edited 2 times in total.

scabz

#109 Post by scabz »

Jim1911 wrote:I reformated an ext4 partition using Gparted to ext3 since pups cannot be installed to ext4 partitions.

The new ext3 partition still shows as ext4 when hovering over the icon.
delete the icon then go to menu/desktop/desktop drive icon manager/ tick box to erase then redraw and realign existing icons

restart the computer and that should be it.

edoc

#110 Post by edoc »

The enGenius NMP-8602+S wireless nic that worked under 4.21 and even 4.31b2 does not work under 4.30-Frugal on my Panasonic Toughbook CF-29.

It is identified: Atheros AR5006X 802.11abg with the ath5k module associated with it.

WDYT?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

RiverTy

#111 Post by RiverTy »

Wireless has stopped working for me in this version. I did some checking and this is what I got.

I have an Atheros chip in my laptop. Puppy Linux 4.2.1 finds and loads the ath_pci module for this card and it works great. Puppy Linux 4.3 finds and loads the ath5k module for this chip and does not work. I have WPA enabled security here. At the point when the connection is "associating" with the router, this process simply fails and times out. Scans work OK but not great. Sometimes I have to scan 3 times to get results!

Any ideas on how I could troubleshoot? How about getting the ath_pci module back in 4.3?
Last edited by RiverTy on Mon 21 Sep 2009, 15:16, edited 2 times in total.

aarf

#112 Post by aarf »

DaveS wrote: Sincere appologies. Did a fresh install to check, and Dear Lord, Pwidgets is not in the package manager.
Find it here. Just install it, it is well behaved
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35601
thanks DaveS, now I have a desktop i can live with made from wallpaper and icons contained in puppy small 430.

also notice "no fans" was the same in 421.

Edit: all i need now is the name of the pet for the popup top of the screen toolbar from 412 ad where to find it? had thought it was an incarnation of cairo dock but can't see cairo in the package manager either.

bug? failed to copy and paste (shift+ins) from seamonkey into rxvt.
Attachments
smalldesktop.jpg
(46.33 KiB) Downloaded 1220 times

magerlab

#113 Post by magerlab »

aarf

#114 Post by aarf »

thanks magerlab yes that's the one. it is not going in smoothly. am getting a "blinky" instead of a tray but will take that issue to the thread you provided.

DaveS

#115 Post by DaveS »

Started another thread for this here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46829
aarf wrote:
thanks magerlab yes that's the one. it is not going in smoothly. am getting a "blinky" instead of a tray but will take that issue to the thread you provided.
aarf, you might find it interesting to re-think this top tray. You see, the top tray is actually a standard JWM feature. Ptray is just a way of trying to automate it, and I dont think Ptray is compatible with 4.3.
SO.

All you need is a text file called whatever you like in your /root/ directory. Conventionally it is called
.jwmrc-tray-top Then you tell jwm where to find it by adding this code to /root/.jwmrc AND /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc

Code: Select all

<Include>/root/.jwmrc-tray</Include>
	<Include>/root/.jwmrc-tray-top</Include>
	<Include>/root/.jwmrc-tray-podcasts</Include>
Just find the section which has <Include/root/.jwmrc-tray</Include>

and add your tray beneath it. You can see I have another one called tray-podcasts which I left in just for your ref.

The format for the tray text file is as below (this is my top tray)

Code: Select all

<JWM>
  <Tray autohide="true" insert="right" valign="top" halign="center" height="36" >
  <TrayButton popup="Account" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/openofficeorg36-base.png">exec:sbase /mnt/sda3/my-documents/data/accounts.odb</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Files, Root" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/home24.png">exec:rox</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="My-Documents" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/folder24.png">exec:rox /mnt/sda3/my-documents</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Email" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/email24.png">exec:firefox</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Browser" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/www24.png">exec:firefox</TrayButton>
 <!-- <TrayButton popup="Grsync" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/grsync36.png">exec:grsync</TrayButton> -->
  <TrayButton popup="TKSpider" icon="/usr/share/mini-icons/mini-trebol.xpm">exec:tkspider</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Rxvt - terminal emulator" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/console24.png">exec:rxvt</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Geany - text editor" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/edit24.png">exec:geany</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Pfind - file finder" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-search.xpm">exec:pfind</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Pwireless - wireless scanner" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/network24.png">exec:Pwireless</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Galculator - 3 way calculator" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/galculator_48x48.png">exec:galculator</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="CUPS Printer Wizard" icon="/usr/share/midi-icons/printer24.png">exec:cups_shell</TrayButton>
 </Tray>
</JWM>
You should be able to use this as a template to set it up just the way you want, which is what JWM is all about.
The top part of the code tells JWM where to put the tray. The line in the middle that starts <!-- is the way you tell JWM to ignore an entry, and is more flexible than deleting the entry, in case you change your mind.

It looks like a lot of work, but this is how to get a system working JUST the way you want, and it is easier working with a template :)
Once you have set it up, re-start JWM to activate it, and customise the heck out of it!
Good luck.
Questions? Just ask................

Started another thread for this here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46829
Last edited by DaveS on Mon 21 Sep 2009, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

panzerpuppy

#116 Post by panzerpuppy »

Why was memtest removed from Puppy? Was there a good reason for the removal? The older Puppies had a special command ('pfix=test' or 'memtest') to execute memtest without starting Puppy.

Puppy is one of the best diagnostic / recovery Live CDs and it's such a shame to see one of the most useful diagnostic tools removed like that.

Now I must use a bloated Knoppix DVD (ugh!) to perform memory tests on old machines before installing Puppy :(

magerlab

#117 Post by magerlab »

do not know if it's right place to post :D

i have two apps that disappiont me
ayttm and aqualung(work from time to time and crushes)

rerwin

#118 Post by rerwin »

Magruder wrote:Can someone give me a hint on how to deal with the missing nic driver issue?
. . .
Rerwin, I downloaded and installed the 5 pets you made available. That didn't help. Can I just copy a folder or two containing drivers from the 4.2 setup over to 4.3? I did copy /initrd/mnt/dev_save/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/initrd/kernel/drivers; that apparently wasn't the one I need. Can't tell if I'm on the right track or not.
Magruder,
1. The .pets I uploaded apply only to Intel537 modems. You are asking about NIC drivers, so you don't need my .pets.

2. The 2.6.25.16 drivers should not be added to the main version of 4.3, because it is based on a different kernel. Drivers are built specifically for particular kernels, so should not be mixed. However, those drivers should work with the 4.3 based on the 2.6.25.16 kernel, but you should not need to do any of that. Please focus on installing puppy correctly instead of improvising and expecting us to make sense of it all.

3. If you don't see any drivers with the main 4.3 version, you don't have the zp430305.sfs file where puppy can find it. Although the advice I have seen here about that file directs you to place it in /mnt/home, I find that is needs to go wherever your pup_save file is -- in the /mnt/home/puppy430 subdirectory ("psubdir=puppy430" in your menu.lst kernel statement for invoking puppy 4.3) if that's where you put the other puppy files and your pup_saves. You do need to use the full-version iso to get most of the drivers, not the "small" version, as I understand the situation. And the drivers should be found if you run from the CD of the full version.

Please tell us more about exactly how you are trying to run Puppy 4.3. Thanks.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 21 Sep 2009, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

panzerpuppy

#119 Post by panzerpuppy »

There's a big problem with this version of Puppy. When using Xorg, if you exit X to get to the command line (by using 'Exit to prompt' from the menu,Restart X or Ctrl-Alt-Bs) Puppy may freeze with a black screen.

Keep exiting from X and restart X until the freeze occurs.

Sometimes Puppy will freeze after 3 restarts of X, but sometimes all it takes is one 'exit to prompt'.

This bug is a real showstopper :(
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Tue 22 Sep 2009, 13:27, edited 2 times in total.

ecube

pmount problem

#120 Post by ecube »

When the /usr/sbin/pmount icon is clicked, the size of all partitions are shown, and free memory is shown for a mounted partition.

But if the cursor is placed over a drive icon, "Size: 0.0GB" is only shown. For an usbdrv the size is shown but free memory information does not appear for any of the icons.

It would simplify my life if a Bash/Gtkdialog expert (e.g. Zigbert or Barry) could spare the (hopefully small amount of) time necessary to fix this problem.

Thanks

Olov
Attachments
pmount.png
(51.93 KiB) Downloaded 1046 times