new live 1.0.7 asking for login and password....

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
cthisbear

Puppy 1.07 Password

#21 Post by cthisbear »

This happend to me on a Toshiba Satellite 1750XCDT laptop.

I burned this copy of Puppy 1.07 with Puppy itself.
These multi session CDs do not play up on desktops.
But it asked for the password on the PCMAI .
I could not beat it. I even put the Pup001 download file
into the root directory of XP, yes I unzipped it, but no go.
The same day I had a Compac laptop - 3 years old that
would not boot. PC Lnux 92 worked on both.
With the Compact laptop everything, sound etc was a go
and straight onto the internet.
The Toshiba had a sound problem. This laptop does not seem
to have a network card. I am told that even though one would
think you would get this standard with Toshiba, this was not the case.
Some other brands did this too. I wonder if this is the problem.
Obviously I looked in the devices of XP, but no network card
and no errors. Puppy is just great for safe banking, etc St George.
Regards and thanks.

krumpli

login and password

#22 Post by krumpli »

I can add to teecee. I have been using multi-session vs 1.07 since the 4th of 5th of this month. I had 9 saved sessions on the dvd-r disk. My problems started last week either thursday or friday. On closing down and doing the back up of changed files, I got an error message that something went wrong with the disk writing and the program asked that I insert a new dvd into the drive. I followed instructions and when the disk writing was finished I shut down.

On the next re-boot I was asked for login info, both name and password. Unable to supply same, I had created an extra vs 1.07 multi-session earlier. I inserted this new extra disk and when it reached area about upgrade I said "yes" and it requested I place my disk that had the old data. I first tried the most recent disk that requested the login info. It did some copying and the end result was at the end I could not get xwin to work. It stated maybe user_cram.fs was not loaded.

Next I repeated the process using my original data disk that had the 9 sessions on it. So when I was asked about upgrade, I said "yes" and inserted that disk. Now request for login info.

Our of frustration I just today re-inserted the disk that I was told had some write problem. Well lo and behold it booted OK today. the data that I had changed before all this occurred was lost. I made some changes today. Then I just now shut down and it did a save on this disk. It showed saving session #10. Re-booted the computer and presently I am using the old disk on an active session presumably session 10.

Sorry I can not supply more info from my recollection.

Paul M

krumpli

login and password

#23 Post by krumpli »

I should have in included some system info:
ram = 1gig
proc = p4 3.0gHz
dvd = nec

Paul M

curious

Multisession CD

#24 Post by curious »

Hello all,

I have had enormous problems with creating one. Every time it asked for login and password. But you won't get any results unless you do one simple thing: YOUR DRIVES MUST BE COMPLETELY EMPTY EXCEPT FOR THE PUPPY CD! I noticed that this solution was not mentioned in this topic.

Curious.

teecee

#25 Post by teecee »

i am using the 1.07 and it had been workign good for about a week plus and all the sudden, it started again with the u/p request during the load procedure.

this laptop i have has NO hard drive in it, and runs the 1.05 puppy with no problems....

and of course, i had saved sessions to the 1.07 disk with all sorts of stuff i had downloaded via pupget, and now it doesnt work...

wtf is wrong with this version?????

teecee

#26 Post by teecee »

ok, just burned my 8th version of 1.07, saveed a couple of sessions after downloading and installing streamtuner, xmms, lastplay (linux version of launchcast)....

so, im going to try it later as i shut down the laptop after the last save.....

will let you know how this one goes.

puppian

#27 Post by puppian »

You may want to take a look at this page::
http://linuxgazette.net/107/tomar.html

And see HERE for a basic introduction on how the standard Puppy Livecd works.
And see these page too:
http://pupweb.org/puppy/development/howpuppyworks.html
http://pupweb.org/puppy/multi-puppy.htm
for more on how MS puppy works.

Btw, what does your /etc/shadow file looks like (open it in a text editor)?

I guess the problem has something to do with the burning / saving, and mounting (in normal puppy /root/.etc and /root/.usr are saved in pupxxx and mounted on boot, in MS puppy it's different...). Or does the problem only occur in laptop?
And I suspect that most dotpups are not made for MS puppy (most of them are tested in normal puppy).
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005