Installed 1.0.3; lost Grub & USB Keyboard

Booting, installing, newbie
daxumaming

Installed 1.0.3; lost Grub & USB Keyboard

#1 Post by daxumaming »

i dont know if i should post this on Bugs or Beginners Help. but since i encountered this problem while installing puppy, i opted to post it here. so here it goes.

Hey guys, i need a little help here.

When I installed the 1.0.2 puppy, everything went well without a hitch, except of course, i cant mount my 2nd ntfs partition, but that's ok. after a few days, i cant mount my 1st ntfs partition. what gives? but everything else is working perfectlythen i downloaded and installed the 1.0.3 puppy, upgraded my old puppy. everything went well, i could now mount both ntfs drives. ahh, what a great feeling. but after i rebooted to hard drive came the bad part. i cant pull up grub.

i have another bootloader (OSLoader 2000). When i installed 1.0.2, OSL2000 would come up, boot into hda2, then grub would come up, then boot into puppy. i keep on rebooting, same thing, said that no OS installed on hda2. so i boot the 1.0.3 cd, reinstalled grub, but same thing. what i did to fix it was to boot into 1.0.2, and grub on that version of puppy. reboot pc, and success. HAHAHAHA! issue resolved. and i verified that grub is working by booting thrice.

then came another issue, i noticed that my usb keyboard won't work in 1.0.3. everything else is working fine, except for the keyboard. i did everything. reinstalled 1.0.2, verified that the keyboard works. upgraded to 1.0.3, reinstalled grub in 1.0.2. still doing the same thing. what's really bothering me is that when i deleted the pup001 file in my vfat partition, and just do a fresh boot into the cd, my keyboard is working perfectly, but when i installed to hda2 or save a pup001, the keyboard problem would come back. i really need help with this. is there a patch or a file i need to config for this? maybe the usb driver has gone bad? is there some way i could save a usb/keyboard config file in 1.0.2 and maybe transfer them to 1.0.3?

one more thing, before booting up to hda2, keyboard would work fine, 5 seconds before the WM comes up, that's the time when my keyboard would be disconnected. no errors though. im not sure what it exactly says coz its too fast but im sure i saw "initializing...." before the numlock light on my keyboard goes out. and im sure that there's no red fonts or anything that says errors before the WM comes up.

lastly, when i checked /dev/ the core icon has a red x or something, let me check on that again and post it later.

could someone help me please. im not an expert with linux. but i've tried about 6 distros and puppy is by far the best and the fastest. besides, its the only distro that made me feel like a teenage girl going gaga over a half-naked vin diesel. oh yeah, i resent being called a gay... hehe!

thanks in advanced guys!

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Could you provide the details of your setup.

danleff

#3 Post by danleff »

As explained on the news page, there were problems with version 1.0.2 and NTFS filesystems. This is why Barry went back to the 2.4 series kernel in version 1.0.3.

If you had a type 2 install, I could help you a little better.

This is what I found. In the 2.4 series kernel, USB handling of keyboards is somewhat different. This is the issue. The 2.6 series kernel handles USB better.

I had to add the following to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file and it worked fine.

modprobe keybdev
modprobe usbkbd

Unfortunately, you need a PS/2 keyboard to do this, or another distro installed to get to the Puppy partition to make the changes.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

daxumaming

#4 Post by daxumaming »

HOLY S**T! It works! hahaha! thanks alot man. I should've been more vigilant with the news & wiki pages. I should've browsed this forum for any answered questions or problems to prevent redundant entries. It's just that I'm way too excited to have puppy up & running. I've downloaded alot of binaries, will be installing them after I resize my Puppy partition to 5GB. Again, I thank you.

BungaDunga

#5 Post by BungaDunga »

Any way to get this to work for USB mice? I have the same problem- 1.0.3 doesn

daxumaming

#6 Post by daxumaming »

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

It is possible there is a way, putting in the parameters for your mouse. In the future it is hoped that people will boot up with one kernel and have another as a Pupget (or some such method) Barry is working for compatibility between the two kernels. So we have the stability of 2.4 but also the enhancements in 2.6 kernel. I have a 3 button (scroll wheel) serial mouse that does not work with either kernel if that is any consolation. I prefer the 2.6 kernel, it is faster, it closes down my computer without locking the keyboard BUT I lost sound recording facilities . . . sorry beginning to wander off topic.

Try a search here and at the old forum to see if a solution was found - you might find other stuff of interest during the process . . . 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D