Suggestion for 1.0.8 - Improved Low RAM Install

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
kethd

#21 Post by kethd »

Here's some tech info about this bug:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=5215

I don't have the energy to write about the very difficult ways of debugging init/sysinit. If someone is interested, ask. If someone knows good/easy/better ways of debugging, please enlighten me.

I will try to test/publish fixes, including debug versions of init/sysinit. Maybe the next version of Puppy will be improved...

sml

#22 Post by sml »

This may be a little controversial for my first post however ..

I would like Barry to make the opposite decision and actually increase the size from a 60Mb limit to a 128Mb limit. There is no mention in the mission statement that Puppy needs to be a max of 60Mb.

- technology is always advancing and puppy should too.
- RAM and USB sticks are relatively cheap for most people at least in Australia.
- most people can afford a 5 year old computer for a few hundred dollars that could easily run a 128Mb distro.

I don't understand how there could be very many people running 100Mhz computers these days.

I was pleased to see the puppy 2.0 alpha requiring 128Mb - although I guess the final release will only require 64Mb.

Maybe with a slightly larger operating system, the video performance and rendering may be reasonable.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#23 Post by BarryK »

sml wrote:I was pleased to see the puppy 2.0 alpha requiring 128Mb - although I guess the final release will only require 64Mb.
No, that 128M refers to the usb flash drive.
Puppy2 is designed to work on PCs with very little RAM, probably (as the News page states) as little as 32M.

kethd

#24 Post by kethd »

Let's not confuse two separate issues: How *BIG* Puppy is, vs. How much *RAM* you need to boot it.

I have no problem with Standard Puppy distro getting larger, beyond the current approx 60MB. It would not matter much to me if it slowly grew to as much as 100MB, as long as we were squeezing as much function as possible out of each byte. The way Puppy mounts filesystems (usr_cram.fs) means you do not have to load everything into ram, even though it does run faster if you do. (Maybe things are changing for Puppy2?)

(And, I think the standard ISO should be much bigger, eventually -- a full multi-boot CD, a whole herd of pups, tools, and other small distros. Hmmm... What we really need is a master website for small distros, that lets you pick from a menu and have a custom multi-boot iso file assembled dynamically for download! Otherwise, as soon as the master combo ISO is made it will be out of date.)

If Puppy Standard gets larger, there will be more value in offering skinnier/bare versions of the Standard, for various reasons -- such as people trying to use 64MB flash devices.

Notwithstanding any of the above, it would be desireable for Puppy to stay as agile and flexible as possible, able to boot in as little ram as may be feasible, as long as that does not detract from other goals. (I'm sure there are millions of people in the world using old slow computers, some just to avoid waste and unnecessary change, some because that is all they can afford. And even older slower laptops are rather pricey.)

softgun

#25 Post by softgun »

Puppy should remain lean and mean, to the degree that it can load itself to RAM and have enough space in the CD to write to - the multisession one at least - and the fantastic 2.0 flash puppy - that can write to the flash drive. However going upto 128MB ISO size is fine, as CD will still have few hundred MB left to write to!

When DVD writers becomes the standard on PCs and CDROM drives disappear, Puppy can go up in its default size to include open office for example.

There should be easier ways to add other software into the live version. Now that it is based on Vector, use of SLAPT-GET is one way to go. Drag and drop (into a desktop icon) install/uninstall of these packages are possible in Barefoot linux - based on vector using autopackage and klik -(http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8823).

Puppy does not allow udf file systems to be read. UDF allows one to use a CDRW or DVD-RW like a floppy in windows. These CDs can be read on linux distros (This is possible with some of the "other" small distros). This should be corrected by allowind udf reading in the kernal.

Vector is going onto the 2.6 kernal and Puppy should think of this too?

drongo

#26 Post by drongo »

Slightly off topic, sorry.

Puppy isn't based on Vector, as far as I know. Some of it was compiled on a Vector system in the past.

I think it's probably all compiled from source (except for some of the stuff not in the ISO like DotPups and such)

It's one of only a handful of distributions not derived from Debian, Slackware or RedHat.

Nevermore

#27 Post by Nevermore »

i agree that a 128Mb would be nice..
BUT..
i think that it would be EVEN better to have an installer of .pup that let us choose if we want to add them as packaged on the hdd or into the usr.cram file..and also delete packages from usr.cram..
example:
i want to add firefox into ramdisk and remove mozilla..
the installer let me add firefox to ramdisk and remove mozilla, makes out a new usr.cram that stays on the disk and if i want a full livecd i can easily burn into the cd instead of using the default usr.cramsf.
is that possible?
--
/sbin/Nevermore

Pizzasgood

#28 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, that's the basic idea behind remastering. You swap stuff in and out, then reburn. Voila! A Puppy for everyone!
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Nevermore

#29 Post by Nevermore »

yes that's is what i mean!
--
/sbin/Nevermore

ezeze5000

partition HD option during boot

#30 Post by ezeze5000 »

mayakovski wrote:
GuestToo wrote:can you remove the CD from the drive when you boot DSL or Feather? ... the main idea behind Puppy is that you boot it, and it runs completely in ram ... this requires that the entire CD is copied to ram, which takes a lot of ram

Hmm...

I had not looked at the issue that way. That makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Thanks

Maybe as another option we could have the ability to partition the HD built into the boot process, where you select the boot options (at the puppy screen) could there be away of access fdisk or cfdisk or such at that point in the process?
STX has this option during the boot process, but it might be a little
beyond most newbies....with the possability of messing up a windows partition.