Forward thinking questions - online build?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
babbs

Forward thinking questions - online build?

#1 Post by babbs »

I'm trying to look into the future... :shock:

I think that "in the nice to have" column, I'd like to be able to visit a web page, start with a bare-bones Puppy, add the programs/packages I want from a list of available programs/packages and click "build" or something like it. The web server would then bring it all together and make an ISO available for download.

First question: Is this something of interest, worth looking into or working towards?
Second question: Is this possible presently? If so, are there any link(s) to the proof of concept or to samples?

Just thinking,
Babbs

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Similar notions have been put forward and discussed several times, so far with no result. :wink:

JaDy

Re: Forward thinking questions - online build?

#3 Post by JaDy »

babbs wrote:First question: Is this something of interest, worth looking into or working towards?
Second question: Is this possible presently? If so, are there any link(s) to the proof of concept or to samples?
I'm interested and, when time permits, intend to look into and work towards. Surely it's possible.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Seems to me it would have to include some sort of hardware probe so that the right drivers could be automatically added to the iso build. Also so that if the target computer has weird hardware the website could say it couldn't work.

EarlSmith

#5 Post by EarlSmith »

Hi Babbs!
I posted this under "Simple Dreams" on Jan. 11.
I woke up from a dream the other night, found my head laying on the keyboard. Feeling well rested, I booted up Puppy 5.01 for the first time. In 20 seconds the Puppy screen popped up with only a "Mozilla" icon, "Cd Burn" icon, and a "Puppy Extras" icon. Opened the "Puppy Extras" web site, picked and chose the other programs I wanted to use, hit install and set back for a well deserved rest. A few minutes later with my rest completed and the download finished, I hit the "Cd Burn" icon with a fresh cd in the drive. After a few more restfull minutes, out pops a fresh new "Puppy 5.01 MyWay" cd. Decided to go back to sleep. Such restfull sleep!
I would be interested and I think a lot of non-programers would be also! :D

babbs

#6 Post by babbs »

I've been surfing tonight... Too tired to work on my server update, too wired to sleep...

I found the following pages, and I thought they might be of interest here...

Proof of concept (I think): https://euronode.com/
Driver-On-Demand Project (possible use here?): http://driverondemand.sourceforge.net/
System Info Script (Linux only): http://www.talug.org/howto/sysinfo.html

I'm pretty sure there are more, but for now... I'm off to bed... (2am here a the moment)