Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 11:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)
Lib, Libs, Libraries Get Them Hot !!! Data base
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 4 of 8 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Author Message
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10829
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec 2008, 11:36    Post_subject:  

Caneri wrote:
Hi ttuuxxx,

Your /Libs files would be a good one to have on several servers. The bandwidth isn't very much as the files are small but spreading it out will give users alternate locations in case we go down for some reason.

Thanks,
Eric


Thats what I was thinking Smile
I guess 2 great minds do think alike Smile
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
mrd

Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Posts: 125

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan 2009, 21:54    Post_subject:  

As you might have seen from my posts about it, I desperately need to find libImlib.so.11.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10829
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan 2009, 03:31    Post_subject:  

mrd wrote:
As you might have seen from my posts about it, I desperately need to find libImlib.so.11.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Here try this
Smile ttuuxxx
imlib-1.9.15.pet
Description 
pet

 Download 
Filename  imlib-1.9.15.pet 
Filesize  75.55 KB 
Downloaded  689 Time(s) 

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
XiaolinDraconis


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2009, 14:36    Post_subject:  

hey ttuuxxx i got libsasl2.so.2 but it appears to be a text file ? the program that called for it says it was too short. any idea what im doin wrong?
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
DMcCunney

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 897

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2009, 18:35    Post_subject: Re: Libraries......  

ttuuxxx wrote:
Compressed its 269MB and expanded its a few gigs Smile
http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/Libs.tar.gz

Thank you, but you might consider making it available in a different format. Gzipped tar archives are a pain. First you have to uncompress them, thenyou have to open the tar file to get what you want, so you need enough space to hold the uncompressed tar file before you can do anything.

I converted it on the desktop to a 7z archive, which I can open in Puppy with Peazip. No need to uncompress the whole thing: I can just drill down and extract the file(s) I want. (And the 7z archive is half the size of the gzipped tar file...)
______
Dennis
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Caneri

Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 1580
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2009, 20:09    Post_subject:  

@DMcCunney,

Maybe post a link to your smaller version.

I need to cut some fat from the server and the /Libs should be mirrored so I can get on with the new stuff that's happening on .ca

Eric

_________________
Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.
Chinese Proverb

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10829
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2009, 20:34    Post_subject:  

XiaolinDraconis wrote:
hey ttuuxxx i got libsasl2.so.2 but it appears to be a text file ? the program that called for it says it was too short. any idea what im doin wrong?
you need http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/Libs/libsasl2.so.2.0.22
and make a system link called libsasl2.so.2
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10829
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2009, 20:37    Post_subject: Re: Libraries......  

DMcCunney wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
Compressed its 269MB and expanded its a few gigs Smile
http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/Libs.tar.gz

Thank you, but you might consider making it available in a different format. Gzipped tar archives are a pain. First you have to uncompress them, thenyou have to open the tar file to get what you want, so you need enough space to hold the uncompressed tar file before you can do anything.

I converted it on the desktop to a 7z archive, which I can open in Puppy with Peazip. No need to uncompress the whole thing: I can just drill down and extract the file(s) I want. (And the 7z archive is half the size of the gzipped tar file...)
______
Dennis


not everyone downloads the full zip, who would want to for a few libs?
plus who would want too install peazip at 7MB compressed just to one one archive? tar.bz2 would be just as small, and you could use xarchiver to open it.
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
DMcCunney

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 897

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar 2009, 12:25    Post_subject: Re: Libraries......  

ttuuxxx wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
Compressed its 269MB and expanded its a few gigs Smile
http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/Libs.tar.gz

Thank you, but you might consider making it available in a different format. Gzipped tar archives are a pain. First you have to uncompress them, thenyou have to open the tar file to get what you want, so you need enough space to hold the uncompressed tar file before you can do anything.

I converted it on the desktop to a 7z archive, which I can open in Puppy with Peazip. No need to uncompress the whole thing: I can just drill down and extract the file(s) I want. (And the 7z archive is half the size of the gzipped tar file...)

not everyone downloads the full zip, who would want to for a few libs?

Who would DL the full set to begin with? Folks like me who find it convenient to have a local database of them, available on occasions when we don't happen to have convenient internet access to hit a repository.

Quote:
plus who would want too install peazip at 7MB compressed just to one one archive?

Peazip has an assortment of uses. I use it in this case because it groks 7z archives, but I could have used a Zip file openable with Xarchive. I just use zzip as my main archiver on Windoze, and tend to use its format.

Quote:
tar.bz2 would be just as small, and you could use xarchiver to open it.

You miss my point about the the inherent problem of dealing with compressed tar files. First, you must fully uncompress it, which means you need enough space in your file system to hold the uncompressed file, then you must actually extract the files you want, and then presumably delete the uncompressed tar file afterward. If the tar file is a huge one, like yours, this can be time consuming (it took a while on my Windoze box, which has eight times the RAM, much faster hard drives, and a CPU three times faster than my Puppy box), and you may not have enough space in the file system.

Putting stuff in a Zip, RAR, 7z, or other archive format where you can open the archive and extract wanted files without having to decompress the entire file is faster, simpler, and requires far less space on the file system. Your converted archive is something I can store locally on my Puppy installation for use when I encounter a missing dependency, and access what I need without taking the better part of forever or blowing up with an out of space condition.

.tgz files are fine for install packages where you will decompress the entire thing to do the install, but less useful for stuff you want to keep around in a collection for the occasion when you need something in it. There are reasons why things like zip/unzip are available for *nix and are sometimes preferable to compressed tar files.
______
Dennis
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10829
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar 2009, 12:40    Post_subject:  

ok now I get ya Smile you can extract the lib without uncompressing the whole archive in a folder,
you should be able to do that with Xarchiver also with the P7zip addon pet
total size around 380kb combined 2 pet packages. Alot smaller of way Smile
Plus archiver is really fast with bz2 Smile
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37276
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
DMcCunney

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 897

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar 2009, 14:15    Post_subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
ok now I get ya Smile you can extract the lib without uncompressing the whole archive in a folder,

Exactly. Very Happy
Quote:
you should be able to do that with Xarchiver also with the P7zip addon pet total size around 380kb combined 2 pet packages. Alot smaller of way Smile

I just grabbed it, since I wanted to make sure I had the needed unarchiving tools. I grabbed unrar.pup, too.

I installed Peazip for other reasons, an the fact that it handled 7z archives was a fringe benefit. I use a Full install with about 7.5GB for Puppy, so 7MB for Peazip is nothing. I have OO3 and the Eclipse IDE installed, as well. I'm all in favor of small programs, but some of what I do doesn't have small solutions.

Quote:
Plus archiver is really fast with bz2 Smile
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37276

Yep, and I have some bz2 stuff around as well.
______
Dennis
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
charlie6


Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1015
Location: South of Belgium

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep 2009, 05:35    Post_subject:
Sub_title: ttuuxxx ' repository no longer accessible
 

Hi,
Maybe have missed something...
http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/Libs
does no longer exist at that place.
has it been moved?
Does somebody knox to where?
Thanks for answer
Cheers
Charlie
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10829
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep 2009, 06:43    Post_subject:  

hi charlie

no it hasn't moved, Eric is lockedout of puppylinux.ca and is using the sister site, so once he gets the keys back all links will be working again Smile
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
sotris99

Joined: 03 Feb 2008
Posts: 69

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 01:32    Post_subject:  

can we have the latest libsdl and the latest qt please?
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
capoverde


Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 233
Location: Sanremo (Italy) with fine seaview

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 13:06    Post_subject: Index page locked.  

Hi ttuuxxx,

just tried to get a lib from [url]http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/Libs[/url], but the index page is locked on itself: nothing changes when opening any of the directories there. Same on the corresponding .ca page. Any hope to get it working again?

Thanx and cheers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 4 of 8 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0945s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0064s) ][ GZIP on ]