Avast AV, AVG, Avira AV, Clam AV, F-Prot, Moon AV, Panda AV

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
yorkiesnorkie

Avast AV, AVG, Avira AV, Clam AV, F-Prot, Moon AV, Panda AV

#1 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Edit:

The scope of the discussion could be broader so I changed the title:
There is a common perception that there are no viruses on the Linux platform - which to a large extent is true. But what happens when you get a mail attachment which you would like to forward to your windows machine so you can open it with your favorite proprietary software? And what if this attachment is infected by a virus? This is where the anti virus solutions for linux comes into the picture. - from the All About Linux Blog
Anti-Virus Tools:
Avast AV, AVG, Avira AV, Clam AV, F-Prot, Xfprot GUI, Moon AV, Panda AV

- - - -

Original Text

Hi,

I found this Avira AntiVir Personal - anti-virus software targeted for Linux which might prove useful for checking those, cough, Windows partitions. I have yet to actually try it.

Download installation kit for all languages
Linux / Solaris
Date: 2009-08-31, Version: 3.0.5-11

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/download_servers.php

http://dlpe.antivir.com/package/wks_avi ... ers.tar.gz 36.4mb

http://dlce.antivir.com/down/windows/hbedv.key 1kb

Yorkiesnorkie
:)[/quote][/list]
Last edited by yorkiesnorkie on Wed 14 Oct 2009, 15:03, edited 4 times in total.

Colonel Schell

#2 Post by Colonel Schell »

I've used it with Windows machines, and I have found it to be pretty tough.

I really like the Moon AV for Windows from Sourceforge. Not just freeware, it's under the GPL license.

It's my new favorite, and I won't put a link there, since if you're really interested, it's not that hard to find.

yorkiesnorkie

#3 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Thanks for the info. I hadn't tried Avira AV yet so any feedback is good.

There are a bunch of alternatives.

I've already downloaded Clam AV to run and I have some plans to install it and read through the directions when I get a moment.

Panda doesnt' run on Debian, just Redhat, Suse, and a couple of other distros I can't remember.

AVG, only for windows I believe. . .

Fprot appears to have been cancelled. . . Too bad you can't get virus defs for that, or can you?

Basically I just want a tool I can use in Puppy to run on Windows Partitions and check them. Essentially something I can fix up my daughters disasters with. I was using Fprot for that and handy it was so long as the defs were up to date.

Yorkiesnorkie
:-)

yorkiesnorkie

Clam AV

#4 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

The following link has some simple instructions on using Clam AV

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/10/c ... n-for.html
ClamAV is a free GPLed anti-virus solution which provides a lot of advantages when installed in Linux. Sticking to the philosophy of linux, it contains a set of command line tools which can be used to check if a file on your system is infected by a virus.

yorkiesnorkie

Klam AV for KDE

#5 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

GUI for Clam AV Available for a bunch of distros here:

http://klamav.sourceforge.net/klamavwik ... /Main_Page main page

http://klamav.sourceforge.net/klamavwik ... p/Packages bunch of releases

ttuuxxx

#6 Post by ttuuxxx »

Avira AV is crappy, its free but they have annoying fullpage popups about once a day that appear and aren't using a browser so you can't block them.
panada cloud antivirus is good for a free windows antivirus, I've been using it on my wife pc for about 2 months now
http://www.cloudantivirus.com/
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

KittyCat

#7 Post by KittyCat »

With regards to Avira Anti-Virus:

The annoying pop-up ads appear every time you run an update, and they can be turned off by following these instructions. I have done that on all my Windows machines.

Hopefully it works in Puppy as well. :D
[color=darkred]Not a dog person. :P [/color]

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

Yeah, and you can also change the frequency at which the updates happen in Avira's scheduler (it defaults to once every day).

Edit: Oops. I don't know if there's a way to disable the popup window under Linux (or even if it does still have a popup under Linux) - I've only done it under Windows. As most of those steps involve modifying Windows security settings, or the Windows registry, they probably won't be the same for Linux. Although, if the ad window is still handled by a separate binary, you could always try setting the permissions on it not to execute, or delete it and set a link there to... something. :)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

KittyCat

#9 Post by KittyCat »

Makoto wrote:Edit: Oops. I don't know if there's a way to disable the popup window under Linux (or even if it does still have a popup under Linux) - I've only done it under Windows.
Me too. I plan to put an AV on my Puppy since it will be sharing files with my XP computers, but you're right that the methods from that link will not work in Puppy, they're Windows-only. But if anyone reads this and has a Windows machine with Avira, they now know how to kill the pesky, annoying, aggravating, irritating, obnox... ahem. :D The pop-up.

aarf

#10 Post by aarf »

But what happens when you get a mail attachment which you would like to forward to your windows machine so you can open it with your favorite proprietary software?
a mail attachment such as? i am not aware of any common file extension that cannot be opened in linux.
further i don't consider myself responsible for the shortcoming of other computer users and so consider passed/forwarded viruses their problem not mine. advise your friends to install puppy to receive and open any mail attachment from you so that they can be sure that they get the real unadulterated thing.

KittyCat

#11 Post by KittyCat »

I used Ubuntu for three years when I was in college (graduated in '06 and haven't touched it since), and I scanned every single email attachment and file with Clam AV before forwarding it on, especially if the file was from someone else originally. Not because the people I sent it to were my friends, but because the Fortune 500 company that gave me an internship, wouldn't really have an understanding mindset towards the "I'm in Linux so I'm immune, and it's not my problem that your computers are not"-kind of reasoning.

By all means use an antivirus if you forward files to people who use Windows, especially if said people are a large company or campus network. Not just to keep yourself covered ("I scanned it! There was no virus on it when it left my computer! See, here's the log."), but as a basic courtesy to other computer users. There's no need for us to be jerks just because our operating system is less vulnerable than theirs.

aarf

#12 Post by aarf »

1 am not responsible for the shortcomings of fortune500 companies either.
Last edited by aarf on Fri 02 Oct 2009, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

KittyCat

#13 Post by KittyCat »

aarf wrote:1 am not responsible for the shortcomings of fortue500 companies either.
Neither am I. But that doesn't in any way change the fact that if there was a virus in a file I transferred to them, whether it infected them or not, they would be a lot less likely to employ me at the end of my internship.

There is no more reason to be stupid than there is to be a jerk about Windows being more vulnerable than Linux. ;)

I'm not saying you need to hold everyone's hand and shelter and baby them. I'm just saying that it doesn't hurt to have some courtesy.

aarf

#14 Post by aarf »

there is no amount of money of this planet that would entice me to be an employee of a fortune 500 company. this mindset belongs elsewhere however one has to be cautious/wary of crossing corporate whores as they tend to be extremely vindictively nasty else they wouldn't be corporate whores in the first place..
Last edited by aarf on Fri 02 Oct 2009, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#15 Post by Sylvander »

FREE Avast4workstation on-demand scanner is what I have installed.

I use it to scan chosen and listed single or group of partitions/folders.
Normally use it for scanning the Windows partition.
Works very well.
Doesn't scan in the background, or block infection.

john biles

#16 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
To install Avast4 in Puppy 4.21 just download the rpm package from here http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast ... ition.html

Now click on it and unpack it to / Look in /usr/bin and click on the avastgui icon and avast should start. easy.
You will need to get a free registration code from the website or use the one you got when you installed avast4 in Windows. The App won't work without it.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

KittyCat

#17 Post by KittyCat »

aarf wrote:there is no amount of money of this planet that would entice me to be an employee of a fortune 500 company.
Then obviously my advice isn't for you, and you are free to completely ignore it.

aarf

#18 Post by aarf »

KittyCat wrote:
aarf wrote:there is no amount of money of this planet that would entice me to be an employee of a fortune 500 company.
Then obviously my advice isn't for you, and you are free to completely ignore it.
Oh sorry,I see it now, your advice was obviously addressed to Ardi she obviously being a close pal of yours. do excuse me for interloping in your private dialog.

KittyCat

#19 Post by KittyCat »

aarf wrote:Oh sorry,I see it now, your advice was obviously addressed to Ardi she obviously being a close pal of yours. do excuse me for interloping in your private dialog.
Um, what...? :?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just saying that as a courtesy to Windows users and as a precaution if sharing files with a large corporation or college, scan the files for viruses first. You respond with something bitter about corporate whores (thank you for that lovely label, by the way) and sarcastic comments about personal conversations you for some reason seem to feel bitter about as well.

I know I'm new here, so maybe I just haven't figured out the posting etiquette and unofficial rules of behavior yet, and that might be why I'm confused. If you'd care to point out which rules I broke severely enough to provoke this hostility so I can avoid doing it to others, I'd appreciate it. :)

yorkiesnorkie

#20 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hello Everyone,
To install Avast4 in Puppy 4.21 just download the rpm package from here http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast ... ition.html

Now click on it and unpack it to / Look in /usr/bin and click on the avastgui icon and avast should start. easy.
You will need to get a free registration code from the website or use the one you got when you installed avast4 in Windows. The App won't work without it.
FREE Avast4workstation on-demand scanner is what I have installed.

I use it to scan chosen and listed single or group of partitions/folders.
Normally use it for scanning the Windows partition.
Works very well.
Doesn't scan in the background, or block infection.
Thanks John & Sylvander,

I'll give Avast a try. It looks good. I myself am basically interested in manual scans of partitions, mail etc.

Yorkieshorkie
:)
:-)