Puppy 4.30: Menu - Poweroff/Reboot/Restart X/etc do not work

Booting, installing, newbie
nksaini

Puppy 4.30: Menu - Poweroff/Reboot/Restart X/etc do not work

#1 Post by nksaini »

I installed Puppy 4.30 on my PC and it was working fast and trouble free. Suddenly I discovered that Shutdown/Reboot/Restart X/etc command on Menu button have stopped working (nothing happens when I click on them).

Now I must shutdown by issuing a shutdown/reboot command from rxvt command prompt. Other commands on Menu - Documents/Internet/Utility/etc are all working as expected.

Can someone please suggest an easy way to restore the functionality to Shutdown/Reboot/etc commands on the Menu button.

Second, I wish to make the "Win" key on the keyboard map to Menu button (as under Windows) and "Context/Shortcut" key to corresponding action under Puppy. I tried a bit but could not figure out how to achieve these settings. Can someplease suggest how to do it.

N.K.Saini

sinc

#2 Post by sinc »

i am not sure if this is applicable for you but i have this issue happen if i use xvesa instead of xorg and if when i select xvesa I X-out of the window instead of clicking "current" then I get the issue you are describing. not sure if this is your situation or not but i'm just throwing something out there.

if this is the case, just make sure you click "current" on the xvesa menu.

Kal

#3 Post by Kal »

Did you have or try upgrading an existing Puppy, like 4.21?

This could be a problem, because 4.21 has a different logout system, using a shutdown window. Generally, I don't recommend upgrades, there is always something.

On 4.30 the wmpoweroff and wmreboot files are located at /usr/bin and not at /usr/X11R7/bin, as before. Check this out to see which you have. Try symlinking them to the other place.

r__hughes

#4 Post by r__hughes »

Try refreshing the menu
In a terminal window type
fixmenus

Good Luck
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

earthpuppy

[Solved]

#5 Post by earthpuppy »

I got the same problem(using puppy 4.3 on a CF card), but it happened right after I installed some chinese font package made by 3rd party
fixmenu didnt help
thx for the suggestion though
===============================
I opened /root/.jwmrc via geany
and search the string wmpoweroff
it will bring you to the line where needs the path modification
change the path before /wmpoweroff to /usr/bin/
mine was /usr/X11R7/bin/wmpoweroff
now is /usr/bin/wmpoweroff
save it
then reboot!!

do the same to the line where the wmreboot is (actually it's the previous line)
Woot! now work like a charm
thx all!!

However, I have another new problem, my "show desktop" icon on the taskbar is gone.
fixmenus didnt get it back, either.
anyone can help pls?!
thx

nksaini

#6 Post by nksaini »

sinc wrote:i am not sure if this is applicable for you but i have this issue happen if i use xvesa instead of xorg and if when i select xvesa I X-out of the window instead of clicking "current" then I get the issue you are describing. not sure if this is your situation or not but i'm just throwing something out there.

if this is the case, just make sure you click "current" on the xvesa menu.
I am using xorg, the default X server in Puppy. Everything was working fine, but then the problem occured suddenly (probably after a forced shutdown, but I can not say for sure).

N.K.Saini

nksaini

#7 Post by nksaini »

Kal wrote:Did you have or try upgrading an existing Puppy, like 4.21?

This could be a problem, because 4.21 has a different logout system, using a shutdown window. Generally, I don't recommend upgrades, there is always something.

On 4.30 the wmpoweroff and wmreboot files are located at /usr/bin and not at /usr/X11R7/bin, as before. Check this out to see which you have. Try symlinking them to the other place.
This is a fresh install of Puppy 4.30. In fact, after install it worked fine, but the symptoms occured suddenly (perhaps after a forced power off, but I am not sure).

The files wmpoweroff and wmreboot are located in /usr/bin, but they do nothing. When I executed these from rxvt terminal, they fail to execute. As I said, I can issue a command "poweroff" or "reboot" from rxvt terminal and they work.

nksaini

#8 Post by nksaini »

r__hughes wrote:Try refreshing the menu
In a terminal window type
fixmenus

Good Luck
I tried "fixmenus" from terminal window, but it did not resolve the problem.

nksaini

Re: [Solved]

#9 Post by nksaini »

earthpuppy wrote:I got the same problem(using puppy 4.3 on a CF card), but it happened right after I installed some chinese font package made by 3rd party
fixmenu didnt help
thx for the suggestion though
===============================
I opened /root/.jwmrc via geany
and search the string wmpoweroff
it will bring you to the line where needs the path modification
change the path before /wmpoweroff to /usr/bin/
mine was /usr/X11R7/bin/wmpoweroff
now is /usr/bin/wmpoweroff
save it
then reboot!!

do the same to the line where the wmreboot is (actually it's the previous line)
Woot! now work like a charm
thx all!!

thx
On my PC the wmpoweroff, wmreboot and wmexit are located in /usr/bin folder. In /root/.jwmrc there was no path to these files, so I modified these lines as below:

<Program label="Exit to prompt" icon="prompt16.xpm">exec /usr/bin/wmexit</Program>
<Program label="Reboot computer" icon="mini-turn.xpm">exec /usr/bin/wmreboot</Program>
<Program label="Power-off computer" icon="mini-stop.xpm">exec /usr/bin/wmpoweroff</Program>
<Program label="Restart X server" icon="mini-x.xpm">restartwm</Program>

After that I saved this file and rebooted. But still it could not resolve the problem.

If I run "/usr/bin/wmreboot" from rxvt terminal, the output say:

kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] [pid | job]... or kill -l [sigspec]

Same is result of /usr/bin/wmpoweroff and usr/bin/wmexit commands. Even if run these commands from within /usr/bin directory like ./wmreboot, the output is same as above.

N.K.Saini

DaveS

#10 Post by DaveS »

Sounds like the scripts are corrupted. Run this .pet to restore them. Good luck................
Attachments
power.pet
(879 Bytes) Downloaded 382 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

chrisnet74

#11 Post by chrisnet74 »

Hello,

Same here (Puppy 4.30)

Tried fixmenus and power.pet to no avail.

Chris

nksaini

#12 Post by nksaini »

chrisnet74 wrote:Hello,

Same here (Puppy 4.30)

Tried fixmenus and power.pet to no avail.

Chris
My PC in question was meant for a friend, who is a novice user. He may use this PC to access internet, so I wanted to gave him a choice of Puppy as a faster and safer option to browse web.

Before handing him over the PC, I reinstalling Puppy 4.30 from live CD. But after reboot the same symptoms reoccured. At present the PC is another city and I can not test it further.

I think the symptoms have something to do with X server. After booting Puppy, I frequently end up at command prompt (i.e. without X) and have to use xwin, xorgwizard a couple of times before can X appear. Chris, can you confirm please.

N.K.Saini

chrisnet

#13 Post by chrisnet »

nksaini wrote:
My PC in question was meant for a friend, who is a novice user. He may use this PC to access internet, so I wanted to gave him a choice of Puppy as a faster and safer option to browse web.

Before handing him over the PC, I reinstalling Puppy 4.30 from live CD. But after reboot the same symptoms reoccured. At present the PC is another city and I can not test it further.

I think the symptoms have something to do with X server. After booting Puppy, I frequently end up at command prompt (i.e. without X) and have to use xwin, xorgwizard a couple of times before can X appear. Chris, can you confirm please.

N.K.Saini
Yes, this is the same situation for me. I will install a new graphic card and see if the problem occur again.

The PC I try to install Puppy on is an old HP Pavillon with an onboard graphic card.

Chris

pottzie

power off fix

#14 Post by pottzie »

When I tried to power off after the first boot in 4.3 (which I dumped right on top of Puppy 4.21), the power off worked, but as the files were updating before actually powering down, it froze. Seemed to happen after asking what size file I wanted. I got greedy and went for the biggest one listed, hoping that it would cure the infernal "You only have seven bits of empty space" after downloading my first gitpup.
The power down solution was simple. I pulled the plug. Had to, as the Compaq didn't shut down when I kicked it.