User Name & Password for .asia

#41 Post by murmelbahn »

User Name: puppy
Password: linux

Easy enough to remember :wink:

Nekroze

Awesome.

#42 Post by Nekroze »

Perfect that is exactly what i was looking for.

thanks for compiling+posting
will go nicely into next Dev-Pup

Nekroze

Question?

#43 Post by Nekroze »

Evaluation after a bit of use and nosing around:
it seems all around VERY nice the menu is really close to the way it should be to... "make sense" i guess i could say, will need a tad work.

Main question is, other then always running pmount is there an easy way to mount or even find out about new devices with XFCE.

for instance jwm and icewm and such you could still see all the available drives on the desktop and when there was a new one it is shown. then of cause you click them they mount and open, however it dose not seem like there is a way to do that in xfce.

apart from that, this is top work. absolutely beautiful.

mikeb

#44 Post by mikeb »

for instance jwm and icewm and such you could still see all the available drives on the desktop and when there was a new one it is shown. then of cause you click them they mount and open, however it dose not seem like there is a way to do that in xfce.
well this is from an older version but should mor or less apply.
Rox pinboard on which the mount icons work is probably still under the xfce4 desktop...try killing xfdesktop in htop.....
If that works and you are running xfce4 sessions then it will stay that way.
If not then a little fiddling is needed

mike

magerlab

#45 Post by magerlab »

to have drive on xfce4 desktop
you need
this
http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP/xfce_pupevent_410.pet

Nekroze

Working

#46 Post by Nekroze »

Thanks magerlab it works. well it did after rebooting xfce4 twice then it came up. works very nice thanks.

oh and killing the xfdesktop only refreshes everything it advises that as a way to refresh the menus on one of there web pages about custom menus.

magerlab

#47 Post by magerlab »

i think in this (latest) xfce4 it's impossible to turn xfdesktop off
in previous versions there was even a checkbox for that

mikeb

#48 Post by mikeb »

i think in this (latest) xfce4 it's impossible to turn xfdesktop off
in previous versions there was even a checkbox for that
ok thanks for the info..I shall update my brain cells :D ...my version is somewhat older but sounds like that pet is just the job :)

mike

Nekroze

Also when in "LowFat" puppy

#49 Post by Nekroze »

Also i'd like to add to the topic that even though it dose not say it in the main page, i have had some problem in a "lowfat" or cut down version of puppy with using startxfce4 as it will only seem to open for a moment then crash and return back to the "promt".

i have noted that it seems to be caused by a lack of DRI so as to fix i am to apply the most obvious course of action and down Xorg DRI from the Pet package management petget thing. Full should then also work maybe better but larger.

so in summary anyone using a cut-down puppy AND having problems with this XFCE 4.6 then go to petget and grab Xorg DRI.

EDIr: remove full
Glad to be of any assistance, any time.
Nekroze

magerlab

#50 Post by magerlab »

did you installed d-bus pets ?

try to run xfce4-panel in terminal( under JWM) ( or xfwm4, even it will say that Xorg is already started, it might show nedeed dependancies

Nekroze

SORRY

#51 Post by Nekroze »

Sorry about previous post although the errors where hinting at a DRI problem or lack of it turns out the two dbus dependencies for some reason did not actually register the first and second time i installed them.

after a third attempt it worked perfectly but is still wonder what that DRI problem was all about...

Sorry though
Nekroze

mikeb

#52 Post by mikeb »

after a third attempt it worked perfectly but is still wonder what that DRI problem was all about.
is there a compis or similar option perhaps

mike

CRF

#53 Post by CRF »

I've downloaded and used this package of Xfce 4.6 with Fatdog 112.

I really prefer the simplicity of Thunar over Rox. How can I change my puppy to use Thunar as the default file manager?

Also, when I install Cairo-Dock, the application works but when I attempt to modify one of the launchers it opens up the file manager (Thunar) then locks up. When I used NOP4.13r1 with Xfce and Cairo-Dock, I didn't have this issue. I've also configued Xfce with composite and I see that it does work, but it's not working in Cairo-Dock.

cichlasoma

#54 Post by cichlasoma »

I love Puppy 4.21 with this xfce 4.61!
One minor issue I encounter is that when I start X in xfce and later restart it in JWM, some menu entries lose their icons (in JWM). Has anybody dealt with it (and fixed it, perhaps)?

jur

#55 Post by jur »

Will XFCE 4.6 work with Puppy 4.30?

gray

puppy 4.3

#56 Post by gray »

Xfce 4.6.1 pet mostly works in puppy 4.3. Some small changes are needed though.

The /sbin/shutdown script needs to be edited as wmreboot & wmpoweroff are not in the same place as previous puppies.

edit the lines to read exec wmpoweroff &

Also the new puppy package manager in 4.3 changes any categories that it does not recognise in .desktop files to 'BuildingBlock' which screws up the menus in the xfce pet.

for example the category in the /usr/share/applications/help.desktop should be X-Xfce-Toplevel;

Don't forget to install dbus and dbus-glib before the xfce pet.
Oh, and the xfce_pupevent pet probably wont work as it will need some tweaking for puppy 4.3

edit 13.10.09 : Here is a modified pupevent for 4.3 :
Attachments
xfce_pupevent_430.pet
(15.56 KiB) Downloaded 1239 times
Last edited by gray on Tue 13 Oct 2009, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

stifiling

#57 Post by stifiling »

thanks for all the info, working excellent w/the new kernel. all except the pupevents as u mentioned. any plans on updating it??

technosaurus

#58 Post by technosaurus »

I tried oroborus today as an ultralite wm - and thats all it is http://www.oroborus.org/

strangely if you click on an icon in rox (no xfce installed) you have to click on the desktop to open the window?

anyhow I'll post it in case anyone wants to try it with xfce - it has the lowest footprint I have seen so far

They do have a desktop icon, menu program and key launcher.

(the themes are not required - just extra)
Attachments
keylaunch-1.3.3-i486.pet
(3.97 KiB) Downloaded 1145 times
desklaunch-1.1.5-i486.pet
(4.95 KiB) Downloaded 1097 times
deskmenu-1.4.2-i486.pet
(8.18 KiB) Downloaded 1105 times
oroborus-themes-2.0.18-i486.pet
(132.92 KiB) Downloaded 1066 times
oroborus-2.0.18-i486.pet
(29.29 KiB) Downloaded 1097 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

magerlab

#59 Post by magerlab »

as far as i recall xfwm4 was made on oborobus base

would like to try it with fbpanel and in xfce4

pri

where is removeable disk icon on desktop

#60 Post by pri »

where is removeable disk that can mount and open partition ? its was used for me. its gone!!