107 multisession not recognizing USB keyboard

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
flebber

107 multisession not recognizing USB keyboard

#1 Post by flebber »

I have just got a copy of your multisession-mozilla iso 1.07, I previously tried 1.06 and created a persistent home. I have inserted the new CD to try out and see how it looks with the new x and other features which sounded cool.

However during the boot up it is asking me whether I am upgrading or not, I would be though there is no great need for it as I don't have much datat from previous 1.06 iso (if this makes solution easier). Here is the problem it musn't be recognising the keyboard as I cannot type anything to respond, this is where it stops I cannot progress anywhere.

I have 3 main partitions on my hard drive WinXP 20G and My two Suse 10.0 partitons /root and /home. I have a pentium 2.4ghz processor and CD burner.

I have previously enabled USB keybiard in my the CMOS settings.

Any Ideas.

If wiping my previous data is the easiest option where woulld it be, I can only see my winxp and suse drives in Konqueror.

jmac

#2 Post by jmac »

I have exactly the same problem. I see nobody replied to your question. Were you able to fix it?

jmac

#3 Post by jmac »

I also should mention that during bootup I noted that the screen said "AT Keyboard not found". I am using a compaq notebook computer.

flebber

#4 Post by flebber »

Haven't been able to fix it yet. I know it should work as My USB keyboard is enabled in the BIOS and functions in SUSE 10.0.

I would file a bug but not sure how for puppy.

flebber

#5 Post by flebber »

Since a few people have this problem and nobody can seem to solve it, how do I go about filing a bug?

flebber

#6 Post by flebber »

seems I got everyone stumped :?

#7 Post by Guest »

I had this problem with an earlier version of Puppy. I fixed it by remastering the CD. I added these two lines:

Code: Select all

modprobe usbkbd
modprobe keybdev 

#8 Post by Guest »

Sorry. I accidentally submited half of a message. :oops: Here's the rest of it:

I added the lines mentioned above close to the beginning of the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit-cd bootup script (just after the functions are defined). Adding these lines loads the usb keyboard driver before you are asked the questions.

If where those two lines should be added is unclear, I could post the part of my /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit-cd file that includes the two "modprobe" commands.

#9 Post by Guest »

This is going to sounds like a dumb question - I admit I'm totally new to this stuff - but I have this problem and I have to say that looking at the CD, I can't see a way to make the changes specified without booting up Puppy.

As I don't have another PC with a DVD burner in, and I don't have a ps2 keyboard (I'm not even sure the PC has a port for one - it's a cheap PC) I'm in a catch 22 situation.

Perhaps if the change is that simple it should be changed in the downloadable image so that it will work on every PC?

#10 Post by Guest »

I agree that this change should be included in the downloadable image.

I'm not entirley sure how I insinuated (implied) that booting Puppy was not necessary to make this change. Anyways, it is necessary to boot Puppy to make this change. Here is the first half of the instructions to make this change:

In order to get past the problem, it may be necessary to burn a new Puppy CD. Using the new CD, don't type 5 at the prompt, just press enter. If your USB keyboard doesn't work when Puppy asks you for the keyboard/mouse settings, you have a problem that does requires a ps2 keyboard. Once/If the Puppy desktop is loaded, use Beaver ("edit" icon on the desktop) to change your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit-cd file. Modify it to look like (or similar to) the following:

check_status()
{
  /bin/echo -en "\\033[65G"
  if [ $1 -eq 0 ]
  then
    /bin/echo -en "\\033[1;32mdone"
    /bin/echo -e "\\033[0;39m"
  else
    /bin/echo -en "\\033[1;31mfailed"
    /bin/echo -e "\\033[0;39m"
    echo "Pausing for 60 seconds..."
    sleep 60
  fi
}

#OLDPVERSION=`cat /root/.etc/puppyversion` #v1.0.1
##v1.0.0 have decided to do this everytime...
#cp -a /root0/* /root/
#cp -a /root0/.[a-zA-Z0-9]* /root/
#...v1.0.2 note, rc.update, called below does this again, but with -u option.
#...v1.0.6 timezone problem, moved this to first boot only.
sync

modprobe usbkbd
modprobe keybdev

#1.0.0 get home files from CD...
echo -e "\\033[1;33m" #34=blue, 33=yellow, 32=green, 31=red, 35=purple, 36=aquablue, 38=black.
echo "IMPORTANT:"
echo "The Puppy live-CD must bootup in the burner drive. Puppy will automatically"
echo "assign this drive for burning-to at shutdown."
echo "Note, if your PC has more than one CD/DVD drive, most BIOSes will scan them"
echo "all looking for a bootable CD/DVD, if boot-from-CD is enabled."
echo -e "\\033[0;39m" 
Note that this example is off of Puppy Linux 1.0.6, so this may look slightly different from your file. Only add

modprobe usbkbd
modprobe keybdev 

Don't change anything else unless you know what you are doing.

Unfortunately, I'm not running Puppy right now, so I can't give any further instructions. I'll try and give further instructions early next week.

#11 Post by Guest »

I think I realize why we were a little confused. My instructions won't make sense if you have downloaded and burnt the "mulitsession only" iso image file. Do you see this or similar text below the picture of the puppy?

MENU: 2 No acpi 3 Choose HD (ENTER only or 10sec timeout for normal boot)
boot: _

If not, then you are using the "multisession only" version. If everything happens too fast to see after the CD is inserted, then a "multisession only" CD is being used. If either of the two afore mentioned conditions are true, you need to download the other iso image file to solve the USB keyboard problem.

I found the difference between the names of the "multisession only" and normal image files so negligible that I renamed my copy once I downloaded it to avoid confusion. Some searching on Puppy's website will be ncessary to find out which image file can run as either a normal live CD or a multisession CD.

#12 Post by Guest »

:oops: The download page has changed since I last saw it. It is very user friendly now.

gpk

#13 Post by gpk »

So am I right in thinking that in order to get USB kbd working it is necessary to use the normal ISO AND start it in multisession mode AND then edit the rc.whatever file?

Also does anyone know if this works with wireless kbd/mouse (e.g. Logitech cordless desktop of various incarnations)? Presumably/hopefully these behave like "standard" USB kbd/mouse in the absence of special drivers?

#14 Post by Guest »

Not entirely. Using the normal ISO, boot Puppy normally. Once Puppy loads, edit rc.sysinit-cd. There is no reason to use the normal ISO in multisession mode. Use the new (remastered) ISO to boot in multisession.

You could try searching the forum for an answer to your wireless USB keyboard question.

(The second part of my instrucions to solve the USB keyboard problem are in the next post.)

How to remaster Puppy live CD

#15 Post by Guest »

Here are the rest of the instructions:

If you have an ext2 / ext3 partition that is about 300+ MB or 768 MB of RAM and/or Linux swap partitions, the easiest way to remaster the CD is to use the Alienx Remaster script. It can be accessed at start -> Setup -> Alienx simple remaster-CD.

To remaster the CD in your computer's RAM, don't select a Data Folder, just click OK. Once the iso is built and the script exits (disappears is more accurate), copy the iso file, puppy.iso, from /mnt/remaster to /root (or another persistant location, such as a hard drive). This should stop it from being lost when the computer is rebooted.

Copying is easy in ROX-Filer. Click on the "home" icon on your desktop to open a ROX-Filer window in /root. Click the icon again and this time click the triangle icon on the top left of the second ROX window. Then go to /mnt/remaster by clicking the folder icons. Just drag the file from one window to the other to copy it. I would recommend rebooting before burning the iso to clear system resources to prevent errors during burning.

If your computer doesn't meet the requirements for the Alienx remaster script, you can use the old remaster CD script. It is located at start -> Setup -> Create custom Puppy live-CD. Click the "OLD_remaster_cd" button. A text-based console (also called a terminal or shell) pops up. According to Step 1:

Your PC needs the size of RAM [+ swap-partition] to be 256M (that is, this script will work with <256M RAM if there is a swap partition),and partition/file mounted on /root must have over 160M free space.

Don't worry about checking the available free space on /root or how much memory and swap space you have. The script does that for you. Don't modify isolinux.cfg, just click the "Save" button. Yes, you want to modify image.gz. That is where /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit-cd is located!

Once the text stops scrolling, read what is on the screen (the rest is irrelevant if these instructions are followed properly). Go to start -> Run -> Xrun commndline. Type rox /etc/rc.d /mnt/image/etc/rc.d in the Command field. This will open two ROX-Filer windows. (Using the method mentioned above (using icons) would work, too.) ROX-Filer is similar to My Computer.

The window with the title "/mnt/image/root0/.etc/rc.d (Thumbs)" is what will be included in the remastered CD. Copy the rc.sysinit-cd file from the ~/etc/rc.d window to the afore mentioned window by clicking and dragging the file from one window to the other. Yes, you want to overwrite the existing file.

Check the copied file by clicking on it to open it. It should include the two "modprobe" lines. Close the two ROX-Filer windows and the Leafpad window (if you haven't closed it already).

Back at the window titled "rxvt" (the script window), enter "y" and press ENTER. A second window with the same title will appear. Type "n" and press ENTER to close this window. It is highly unlikely that editing isolinux.cfg will be necessary, so
enter "n" again.

The script will then ask you to confirm that image.gz should be recompressed. Next, the script will tell you that it is creating a bootable iso file. Finally,the script will tell you to press ENTER to start Gcombust (or perhaps Graveman!, if things have changed since Puppy 1.0.6).

Do not just push ENTER. Instead, press any other key and then ENTER. Press Ctrl-C rather than ENTER at the next opportunity to keep the iso file in /root. Reboot before continuing if your computer has 256 MB or less RAM to avoid CD burning errors.

Use start -> Multimedia -> "Burniso2cd burn iso file to CD/DVD" to burn the iso file to CD. Select the puppy.iso or cd-puppy.iso file (it should be there when the dialog box comes up.). Choose the MULTI-CD button even though the iso you are burning isn't only specifically for multisession CDs. Once the CD is burnt, you're ready to test it (use it).

Please give me comments and criticism on the instructions above.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Guest, whoever you are :!: That's going in the Beginners sticky index.

I'm sorry, I didn't get around to reading this thread till now. For what it's worth, I have a Logitech Marblemouse USB trackball which works fine in Puppy without me having to do anything. I don't have a USB keyboard.

gpk

#17 Post by gpk »

Hmmm this is slightly more involved than I was hoping for a "new pup" like moi...

Possibly the problem I have with my laptop is that I'm used to using it "dual control" in Windows - i.e. when at my desk I plug in the Logitech wireless USB receiver and then can use decent kbd and mouse, though the built-in ("PS/2") kbd and mouse still work.

I managed to get (somehow, not entirely sure how) Puppy to recognise the keyboard, albeit erratically, both in xwin and console mode. On a couple of occasions when running xwin Puppy seemed to detect the USB Logitech wireless device (HID or whatever). However the USB mouse option always caused the PS/2 mouse to stop responding and I've never had anything out of the USB wireless one.

It would be good if Pup automatically detected and used whatever type of mice and keyboards that were attached ... maybe that's for 1.0.8?? I must say I'm a bit out of my depth for now ... :shock: :? :D Maybe linux can't handle having 2 mice and keyboards attached at once?

BTW I think Dell have now replaced my friend's failed HD so the intended use of Puppy (on her Dell with Logitech wireless kbd/mouse - it has no PS/2 port) has been OBE'd anyway.

thx - gpk

Word Warrior

#18 Post by Word Warrior »

As you can see I (the guy who wrote the instructions) have chosen a name. Thanks in advance for putting my instructions in the (sticky) Index of resources for Beginners Help, Flash.