Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 15:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Security/Privacy
Avast AV, AVG, Avira AV, Clam AV, F-Prot, Moon AV, Panda AV
Page 2 of 4 [59 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
john biles

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 06:03    Post subject:  

Hello Everyone,
To install Avast4 in Puppy 4.21 just download the rpm package from here http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-for-linux-edition.html

Now click on it and unpack it to / Look in /usr/bin and click on the avastgui icon and avast should start. easy.
You will need to get a free registration code from the website or use the one you got when you installed avast4 in Windows. The App won't work without it.

KittyCat

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 08:38    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
there is no amount of money of this planet that would entice me to be an employee of a fortune 500 company.

Then obviously my advice isn't for you, and you are free to completely ignore it.

aarf

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 10:33    Post subject:  

KittyCat wrote:
aarf wrote:
there is no amount of money of this planet that would entice me to be an employee of a fortune 500 company.

Then obviously my advice isn't for you, and you are free to completely ignore it.

Oh sorry,I see it now, your advice was obviously addressed to Ardi she obviously being a close pal of yours. do excuse me for interloping in your private dialog.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
KittyCat

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 10:41    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
Oh sorry,I see it now, your advice was obviously addressed to Ardi she obviously being a close pal of yours. do excuse me for interloping in your private dialog.

Um, what...? Confused

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just saying that as a courtesy to Windows users and as a precaution if sharing files with a large corporation or college, scan the files for viruses first. You respond with something bitter about corporate whores (thank you for that lovely label, by the way) and sarcastic comments about personal conversations you for some reason seem to feel bitter about as well.

I know I'm new here, so maybe I just haven't figured out the posting etiquette and unofficial rules of behavior yet, and that might be why I'm confused. If you'd care to point out which rules I broke severely enough to provoke this hostility so I can avoid doing it to others, I'd appreciate it. Smile

yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 10:49    Post subject:  

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
To install Avast4 in Puppy 4.21 just download the rpm package from here http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-for-linux-edition.html

Now click on it and unpack it to / Look in /usr/bin and click on the avastgui icon and avast should start. easy.
You will need to get a free registration code from the website or use the one you got when you installed avast4 in Windows. The App won't work without it.

Quote:
FREE Avast4workstation on-demand scanner is what I have installed.

I use it to scan chosen and listed single or group of partitions/folders.
Normally use it for scanning the Windows partition.
Works very well.
Doesn't scan in the background, or block infection.

Thanks John & Sylvander,

I'll give Avast a try. It looks good. I myself am basically interested in manual scans of partitions, mail etc.

Yorkieshorkie
Smile
Smile
yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 11:01    Post subject:  

KittyCat wrote:
I know I'm new here, so maybe I just haven't figured out the posting etiquette and unofficial rules of behavior yet, and that might be why I'm confused. If you'd care to point out which rules I broke severely enough to provoke this hostility so I can avoid doing it to others, I'd appreciate it. Smile

Your all right KittyCat. I for one welcome you to the forums! I thought your posts were sensible.

I agree as well about removing virus from mail. It's got to be done particularly if you are a working professional. Trust is an important part of business relationships. Sending a virus/trojan/malware out, or allowing the propagation to continue is bad especially if you have contact with other companies business networks. Their IT departments tend to be touchy about the potential for contamination.

Yorkiesnorkie
Very Happy
yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 11:36    Post subject:  

john biles wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Hi John,

Here's a real general noob question well because in a lot of way's I'm a noob: I visited the website and I couldn't help but notice several packages there. I know you recommended the RPM. Is installing an RPM package any different than installing the DEB? Would one of those binaries be more compatible with Puppy Linux than the other?

Also, tar.gz you would have to unpack and compile yourself would you not?

I ask because simply because I don't know it all.

Yorkiesnorkie
Smile
KittyCat

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct 2009, 12:19    Post subject:  

yorkiesnorkie wrote:
I agree as well about removing virus from mail. It's got to be done particularly if you are a working professional. Trust is an important part of business relationships. Sending a virus/trojan/malware out, or allowing the propagation to continue is bad especially if you have contact with other companies business networks. Their IT departments tend to be touchy about the potential for contamination.

Exactly, and that's the point I was trying to make. It's a matter of keeping your own backside covered and ensure that no suspicion can attach to you if the worst happens. Especially when dealing with those touchy IT Security departments... Wink

Let me know how Avast works out for you! I use it on my Vista computer and like it, and if it's solid in Puppy then I might go with that instead.

john biles

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct 2009, 05:53    Post subject:  

Hello yorkiesnorkie,
The rpm package worked for me. You could try the deb or tar.gz if you like. Linux is about experimenting and that's why experimenting with Puppy live is so rewarding. You learn so much and have nothing to lose. If you break your Puppy reboot and experiment some more.

yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct 2009, 06:38    Post subject:  

Hi John,

Oh, I've broken it a few times. It's easy to fix though! Got to love the live CD. Very Happy

Well I'm off to download Avast, until later,

Yorkiesnorkie
Smile
xman

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct 2009, 04:02    Post subject:  

yorkiesnorkie wrote:
Fprot appears to have been cancelled. . . Too bad you can't get virus defs for that, or can you?

Basically I just want a tool I can use in Puppy to run on Windows Partitions and check them. Essentially something I can fix up my daughters disasters with. I was using Fprot for that and handy it was so long as the defs were up to date.

I have used xfprot 1.23 with Puppy 4.21 and 4.30. Loading of virus definitions took some minutes, but updating them have always been just a joy of seconds. I don't find there any problem. Question

I uninstalled heavy commercial antivirus from XP and replaced it with Microsoft Secure Essentials, which is simple, light and free. Now I think that XP has raised from the death. Shocked
yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct 2009, 10:33    Post subject: F-Prot for Linux Workstations  

xman wrote:
yorkiesnorkie wrote:
Fprot appears to have been cancelled. . . Too bad you can't get virus defs for that, or can you?

Basically I just want a tool I can use in Puppy to run on Windows Partitions and check them. Essentially something I can fix up my daughters disasters with. I was using Fprot for that and handy it was so long as the defs were up to date.

I have used xfprot 1.23 with Puppy 4.21 and 4.30. Loading of virus definitions took some minutes, but updating them have always been just a joy of seconds. I don't find there any problem. Question

I uninstalled heavy commercial antivirus from XP and replaced it with Microsoft Secure Essentials, which is simple, light and free. Now I think that XP has raised from the death. Shocked

Where are you getting the new defs from? I thought support ended. When I tried to update the defs I get an error message from Seamonkey. I've had to tell it to ignore the date of the defs, but that isn't a good idea in the long run.

All I know about is this trial software:

http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/

No, wait, there's a new Linux version free for personal use.

http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/download_fplinux.html

Hmmm, must have missed the boat on that one... I'm planning on doing a little installation and tinkering once I get settled. (I have issues with 4.3 which necessitated a return to Puppy 4.1.2) I did download the deb of Avast.

Yorkiesnorkie
xman

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct 2009, 02:12    Post subject: Re: F-Prot for Linux Workstations  

yorkiesnorkie wrote:
Hmmm, must have missed the boat on that one...

I have used Puppy's (4.20, 4.21, 4.30) default AV from >> Menu >> Utility >> XF-Prot virus scanner. This selection brings XFProt 1.23 -box on my screen, and I click: F2 Update. After a couple of seconds I get a message:

F-Prot Antivirus Signature Updater Version 1.0.1
FRISK Software International (C) Copyright 1989-2007

Package Version 6.0.2
Engine Version 4.4.56.4

Please wait...contacting Update server
Update server - Valid licence-key
Update server - You have the latest antivir.def

Done.
Hit enter to Quit.

I am not surprised. I have just updated defs before this check. I open folder /usr/local/f-prot/. Then I check properties of antivir.def file: 41 M, modified 9.10.2009.
yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Wed 14 Oct 2009, 07:00    Post subject: No luck with F-Prot  

I tried F-Prot, I"m using Puppy 4.1.2 so its available as a default in the menu, but I have problems with it not working after the install. When I first choose the menu entry it asks to install it, so I allow it to download 13 mb, (which is a while on dialup) then it updates the antivir.def, (more waiting) finally I choose the defaults when prompted, it should be installed at that point.

If I choose it again from the menu, I get an error message in a dialog box about it not finding the version and it quits. Should I see a gui at that point or is it run from the command line?

I note that this is an exception to the usual installation procedure since you don't use the installer utility. It never appears in the list of installed programs. The file installed is a tar.gz from F-Prot. XFProt appears to be available as a 42kb file from the Puppy 4 repository at ibiblio. But, I understand that is just the GUI. There are 2 versions of it.

Yorkiesnorkie
Question

P.S.

On another note I've got ClamAV working from the command line. I have yet to tinker with Avast.
yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Wed 14 Oct 2009, 10:56    Post subject: Other Interesting Front ends for Fprot  

I checked out Barrys original blog on Xfprot and how it installs from a script. I'm not sure why Xfprot isn't working on my particular pc. Apparently a couple of other people have run into the same problem with the version. I'll have to have another try. I might download the tar file myself. I find the download disappears after Barry's script runs. I discovered also that Xfprot has moved to v2.2 but requires at least GTK 2.8 and FP6. That shouldn't be a problem for Puppy 4.1.2. I might give that a try if I can't get the default on the menu to work.

In the meantime my various research on my issue turned up various info here at the puppy forum but no clear solution.

Frontends, apparently there are a couple more for Fprot, both QT Fprot and this:

http://home.versateladsl.be/vt6305842/fprot_man.html

Quote:
This Tcl/Tk script is a frontend for F-Prot anti virus scanner from FRISK.

Works with Puppy 4.1.2 according to the Author. Interesting. I got that from the https://forum.f-prot.com/index.php/topic,1448.0.html forum by the way.

Yorkiesnorkie
Smile
Page 2 of 4 [59 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Security/Privacy
Jump to: