Avast AV, AVG, Avira AV, Clam AV, F-Prot, Moon AV, Panda AV

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
yorkiesnorkie

#21 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

KittyCat wrote:I know I'm new here, so maybe I just haven't figured out the posting etiquette and unofficial rules of behavior yet, and that might be why I'm confused. If you'd care to point out which rules I broke severely enough to provoke this hostility so I can avoid doing it to others, I'd appreciate it. :)
Your all right KittyCat. I for one welcome you to the forums! I thought your posts were sensible.

I agree as well about removing virus from mail. It's got to be done particularly if you are a working professional. Trust is an important part of business relationships. Sending a virus/trojan/malware out, or allowing the propagation to continue is bad especially if you have contact with other companies business networks. Their IT departments tend to be touchy about the potential for contamination.

Yorkiesnorkie
:D

yorkiesnorkie

#22 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

john biles wrote:Hello Everyone,
To install Avast4 in Puppy 4.21 just download the rpm package from here http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast ... ition.html

Now click on it and unpack it to / Look in /usr/bin and click on the avastgui icon and avast should start. easy.
You will need to get a free registration code from the website or use the one you got when you installed avast4 in Windows. The App won't work without it.
Hi John,

Here's a real general noob question well because in a lot of way's I'm a noob: I visited the website and I couldn't help but notice several packages there. I know you recommended the RPM. Is installing an RPM package any different than installing the DEB? Would one of those binaries be more compatible with Puppy Linux than the other?

Also, tar.gz you would have to unpack and compile yourself would you not?

I ask because simply because I don't know it all.

Yorkiesnorkie
:)

KittyCat

#23 Post by KittyCat »

yorkiesnorkie wrote:I agree as well about removing virus from mail. It's got to be done particularly if you are a working professional. Trust is an important part of business relationships. Sending a virus/trojan/malware out, or allowing the propagation to continue is bad especially if you have contact with other companies business networks. Their IT departments tend to be touchy about the potential for contamination.
Exactly, and that's the point I was trying to make. It's a matter of keeping your own backside covered and ensure that no suspicion can attach to you if the worst happens. Especially when dealing with those touchy IT Security departments... ;)

Let me know how Avast works out for you! I use it on my Vista computer and like it, and if it's solid in Puppy then I might go with that instead.
[color=darkred]Not a dog person. :P [/color]

john biles

#24 Post by john biles »

Hello yorkiesnorkie,
The rpm package worked for me. You could try the deb or tar.gz if you like. Linux is about experimenting and that's why experimenting with Puppy live is so rewarding. You learn so much and have nothing to lose. If you break your Puppy reboot and experiment some more.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

yorkiesnorkie

#25 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi John,

Oh, I've broken it a few times. It's easy to fix though! Got to love the live CD. :D

Well I'm off to download Avast, until later,

Yorkiesnorkie
:-)

xman

#26 Post by xman »

yorkiesnorkie wrote:Fprot appears to have been cancelled. . . Too bad you can't get virus defs for that, or can you?

Basically I just want a tool I can use in Puppy to run on Windows Partitions and check them. Essentially something I can fix up my daughters disasters with. I was using Fprot for that and handy it was so long as the defs were up to date.
I have used xfprot 1.23 with Puppy 4.21 and 4.30. Loading of virus definitions took some minutes, but updating them have always been just a joy of seconds. I don't find there any problem. :?:

I uninstalled heavy commercial antivirus from XP and replaced it with Microsoft Secure Essentials, which is simple, light and free. Now I think that XP has raised from the death. :shock:

yorkiesnorkie

F-Prot for Linux Workstations

#27 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

xman wrote:
yorkiesnorkie wrote:Fprot appears to have been cancelled. . . Too bad you can't get virus defs for that, or can you?

Basically I just want a tool I can use in Puppy to run on Windows Partitions and check them. Essentially something I can fix up my daughters disasters with. I was using Fprot for that and handy it was so long as the defs were up to date.
I have used xfprot 1.23 with Puppy 4.21 and 4.30. Loading of virus definitions took some minutes, but updating them have always been just a joy of seconds. I don't find there any problem. :?:

I uninstalled heavy commercial antivirus from XP and replaced it with Microsoft Secure Essentials, which is simple, light and free. Now I think that XP has raised from the death. :shock:
Where are you getting the new defs from? I thought support ended. When I tried to update the defs I get an error message from Seamonkey. I've had to tell it to ignore the date of the defs, but that isn't a good idea in the long run.

All I know about is this trial software:

http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/

No, wait, there's a new Linux version free for personal use.

http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_use ... linux.html

Hmmm, must have missed the boat on that one... I'm planning on doing a little installation and tinkering once I get settled. (I have issues with 4.3 which necessitated a return to Puppy 4.1.2) I did download the deb of Avast.

Yorkiesnorkie

xman

Re: F-Prot for Linux Workstations

#28 Post by xman »

yorkiesnorkie wrote:Hmmm, must have missed the boat on that one...
I have used Puppy's (4.20, 4.21, 4.30) default AV from >> Menu >> Utility >> XF-Prot virus scanner. This selection brings XFProt 1.23 -box on my screen, and I click: F2 Update. After a couple of seconds I get a message:

F-Prot Antivirus Signature Updater Version 1.0.1
FRISK Software International (C) Copyright 1989-2007

Package Version 6.0.2
Engine Version 4.4.56.4

Please wait...contacting Update server
Update server - Valid licence-key
Update server - You have the latest antivir.def

Done.
Hit enter to Quit.

I am not surprised. I have just updated defs before this check. I open folder /usr/local/f-prot/. Then I check properties of antivir.def file: 41 M, modified 9.10.2009.

yorkiesnorkie

No luck with F-Prot

#29 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

I tried F-Prot, I"m using Puppy 4.1.2 so its available as a default in the menu, but I have problems with it not working after the install. When I first choose the menu entry it asks to install it, so I allow it to download 13 mb, (which is a while on dialup) then it updates the antivir.def, (more waiting) finally I choose the defaults when prompted, it should be installed at that point.

If I choose it again from the menu, I get an error message in a dialog box about it not finding the version and it quits. Should I see a gui at that point or is it run from the command line?

I note that this is an exception to the usual installation procedure since you don't use the installer utility. It never appears in the list of installed programs. The file installed is a tar.gz from F-Prot. XFProt appears to be available as a 42kb file from the Puppy 4 repository at ibiblio. But, I understand that is just the GUI. There are 2 versions of it.

Yorkiesnorkie
:?:

P.S.

On another note I've got ClamAV working from the command line. I have yet to tinker with Avast.

yorkiesnorkie

Other Interesting Front ends for Fprot

#30 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

I checked out Barrys original blog on Xfprot and how it installs from a script. I'm not sure why Xfprot isn't working on my particular pc. Apparently a couple of other people have run into the same problem with the version. I'll have to have another try. I might download the tar file myself. I find the download disappears after Barry's script runs. I discovered also that Xfprot has moved to v2.2 but requires at least GTK 2.8 and FP6. That shouldn't be a problem for Puppy 4.1.2. I might give that a try if I can't get the default on the menu to work.

In the meantime my various research on my issue turned up various info here at the puppy forum but no clear solution.

Frontends, apparently there are a couple more for Fprot, both QT Fprot and this:

http://home.versateladsl.be/vt6305842/fprot_man.html
This Tcl/Tk script is a frontend for F-Prot anti virus scanner from FRISK.
Works with Puppy 4.1.2 according to the Author. Interesting. I got that from the https://forum.f-prot.com/index.php/topic,1448.0.html forum by the way.

Yorkiesnorkie

yorkiesnorkie

F-Prot i.e. error version not found, Clam AV works OK

#31 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi,

Here's a little feedback:

XFPROT - Part 1

Ok, I admit I got distracted and took another look at f-prot/xfprot as accessed and installed via the menu in Puppy 4.1.2. (I'm using 4.1.2 because I ran into difficulties with 4.3 on my PC. That should take care of the inevitable question.) Anyway, I didn't have much luck with xfprot as implemented by the menu. I'm not sure why. Basically, after the install and update of f-prots antivir.def file everything is in place (so far as I know) but when I run xfprot (the gui) from the menu I get an error message in a GUI box regarding that it can't detect the version. At that point I have to exit the dialog box.

This install from the menu is more suited to those with highspeed internet access. On dialup its a bit painful, particularly if you have to ry it more than once. It takes a while to download the 14mb f-prot application, and the antivir.def file. I suppose it really needs to be done that way due to the install of f-prot downloading the latest antivir.def file as a part of its installation.

Nevertheless after the install via the menu I decided to try running f-prot from an rxvt window, "fpscan /directory/path/whatever" and it pops up with the response "illegal command".

XFPROT - Part 2

I tried deleting all the f-prot and xfprot files, and then manually downloading the tar.gz file f-prot from the FRISK. I copied it to the lowest level and installed it to /opt as it wanted and ran the installer from the command line which worked ok, that downloads the antivir.def file by the way if you plan on having a nap during dialup. However I had no issues with the download and after it was done it informed me the install/dowload was ok. I again ran f-prot from the command line "fpscan /directory/path/whatever" and it popped up again with the illegal command response.

I took a run at compiling the latest version of xfprot 2.2 but the attempt to compile the make file informed me it was missing the proper environment for compiling, missing C... Hmmm, well I guess I need the devx stuff and the proper GTK libraries for this one. It would have been smart to download them first eh? Thats a little project for later!

So, to be practical and in the interest of speed, I ended up downloading both the pets of xfprot from the repository for 4, partly because the first wouldn't complete the install from file using the petget manager, however the "420" version did. On running xfprot it popped up with the same error message in a GUI box regarding that it couldn't detect the version. That wasn't too surprising considering that it was essentially what I already had with the default install.

XFPROT - Part 3

I backed up the antivir.def file to avoid having to download it later. I deleted all xfprot and f-prot files from the install.

I changed my pup version to 400 and did an upgrade from the live cd to bring the default install of xfprot back. I copied the tar.gz file to the level below root and ran xfprot from the menu, it seemed to recognize that the file was there but errored out. So it can't use the downloaded tar.gz file which is a bit of a shame. Its more practical if your on dialup to download a file once and re-use it than to download it multiple times.

XFPROT - Part 4

Observations - So I'm not sure what to do with f-prot/xfprot now. Well, I can't run xfprot without further advice. While other people seem to have no issue with it the darn thing is giving me grief. I can't figure out why (scratches head).

CLAM AV

Unlike F-Prot, Clam AV seems to be working quite nicely from the command line but it warns me the definitions are out of date. I had downloaded and installed the pet. I have yet to update the virus definitions via freshclam. I might just download the definitions manually, if that is possible.

The advantage of doing this on dialup would be that I would have the definitions to install to our other PC which also has a windows partition, so I don't have to download the definitions twice.

Other Observations - It's worth downloading the Clam PDF manual since it has the information you need to use Clam AV in it. It's fairly straight forward to run Clam AV from the rxvt terminal, easy for beginners. It would have been nice though if them manual had more examples of searches with the various variations combinations of the possible commands. A search of the net though should turn up some examples.

The only catch is that you have to manually edit the conf files before you can manually run a clamscan. You have to comment out "example" with "#example" at the beginning of each conf file, and then edit the rest of the conf settings. If you try and run a clamscan without editing the conf files it'll pop up and tell you exactly which three need to be edited, so it's dead simple even for a gearhead like me, wrench please! It's a good way to learn some basic commands to use in rxvt and how to navigate the file structure of linux as well.

Clam AV requires no license to run it, also nice.

AVAST AV

I have the deb file and downloaded a license, but I have not tried it yet. I peeked in the archive and it looks like it will install the files to various directories. There's some documentation to read as well regarding the install.

Yorkiesnorkie

Sylvander

#32 Post by Sylvander »

I use the Avast installed using the pet file linked here.
i.e. avast4workstation-1.0.8.pet
Username = puppy
Password = linux

I've installed a number of times on different Puppies.
Pretty routine to install and get a licence key and copy it from the email sent by Avast and paste it into the window at 1st run, then complete a scan.

Did it on a neighbours PC with his new Puppy 4.2.1-rc3 I introduced.
No problem at all. :D

He likes his new Puppy.
Also runs Xp-SP3.
Scanned that NTFS partition with his new Avast, and came up clean.

yorkiesnorkie

Thanks

#33 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi Sylvander,

Thanks for the link to the pet file of Avast AV. I'll get that and give it a try. I checked out the site and read the message about the missing dependencies.

CLAM AV

I'm still enjoying Clam AV. I'm still largely a linux noob but if your still in the same boat as I am basically all you have to do is open rxvt and navigate to the directory you want like this, enter the following in the rxvt window:

"cd /mnt/hda1/WINDOWS" press enter

Hints: I use ROX to figure out what directory path I want. If you want to see what is in the directory type "ls" and press enter

Anyway, to run the clam scan in "cd /mnt/hda1/WINDOWS" enter the following in the rxvt window:

"clamscan" press enter

Clam AV will then run a check on the active directory which in this case is "WINDOWS" and respond with a list of the files its checked in the rxvt window. Clam does not "clean" the files it merely tells you which ones are infected. The Clam AV philosophy is that once a file is infected typically it has nothing of value in it and even if you cleaned it would you trust it? I believe that they expect you to remove the infected file and replace it.

There are a lot more options, you can simply type the path to the directory you want checked etc., and I found this link quite useful. http://linuxreviews.org/man/clamscan/index.html.en because it gives you the full list of clamscan commands and examples.

There is also a tutorial for beginners who want to learn something about the command line, i.e. how to use rxvt: http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/

I thought the check was fairly quick and the biggest slowdown was when it got to the Windows 98SE swap file. You can scroll up and down in rxvt if you want to see the result of the scan. You can also create more complex commands and use the options (http://linuxreviews.org/man/clamscan/index.html.en) to create a log file in txt format.

Yorkiesnorkie

stephenmorphey

AVG

#34 Post by stephenmorphey »

Hi All,

I have been working with AVG anti virus from 3+ years. I am satisfied with it. It is quicker and does not have the system clogged.

Anniekin

#35 Post by Anniekin »

I caught on the Ubuntu forums that Avast will only detect windows viruses.

This would essentially defeat the purpose.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

yorkiesnorkie

XF Prot Bugfix

#36 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

yorkiesnorkie

#37 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Anniekin wrote:I caught on the Ubuntu forums that Avast will only detect windows viruses.

This would essentially defeat the purpose.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
I suggest you give Clam AV a try instead. I don't know a lot about Avast. More reading is required. Most people want to use it to find what is on their friends Windows PC's anyway. ;)

yorkiesnorkie

yorkiesnorkie

Re: AVG

#38 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

stephenmorphey wrote:Hi All,

I have been working with AVG anti virus from 3+ years. I am satisfied with it. It is quicker and does not have the system clogged.
I did find Clam AV rather slow. I have to give the alternatives a try. Thanks for your input!

Yorkiesnorkie

yorkiesnorkie

#39 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Use Shardana:

Multi ISO scanner complete with Puppy.
Can update.

Chris
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52027

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.p ... topic=9930

amsk98

#40 Post by amsk98 »