Conexant HSF 56k Softmodem working in Puppy

FrankA

puppy 4.3 works out of the box with conexant hsfi PCI modem

#21 Post by FrankA »

puppy 4.3 works out of the box with conexant hsfi PCI modem.

wvdial works also right away. great stuff.

rerwin

#22 Post by rerwin »

bignono1,
Have I been waiting for you and your Conexant USB modem! I added support for it many months ago, but have had no one volunteer to test my implementation. The HSF Linuxant modem driver works in puppy 4.3 and can be added to 4.1.2 and 4.2.1, as can the HCF and DGC (USB) drivers. (I don't have either, so cannot test them. But the building process is similar to that for HSF.)

By design, if you have your modem plugged in at bootup, puppy should detect it and show ttyACM0 (I think) as the connected modem. If that doesn't happen, I will need your help to track down the reasons. Can you work with me to get you connected -- and fix puppy, if need be? Thanks for reporting your problem with the USB modem.
Richard

FrankA

HSFi

#23 Post by FrankA »

hi!

with boot from CDROM all is fine (ttySHSF0). but after boot off USB-stick the conexant PCI modem does not get autodetected any more.

intel 537 pci modem and conexant modem on "high definition audio bus" of laptop ALC267 soundchip I canot get to work.

rerwin

#24 Post by rerwin »

FrankA,
Good news and bad news. My testing has been on a PC with PCI cards. I have not attempted running from a USB drive, so now is the time for me to try that. It may take some time, but I will start on it, so I can replicate your situation. That would be better than using up your time.

Let's start on the modems-and-sound issue. You have a laptop that has the Conexant modem as part of its sound hardware and the Intel is what? A PC card? Have you checked Iwill's solution to getting sound working while the HSF modem drivers are loaded, if that is part of the problem: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 220#347220
Which of the modems do you want to use? Puppy chooses alphabetically, so it should select the HSF and ignore the Intel537. Maybe there is a conflict that Puppy isn't addressing.

Could you post the output from PupScan's PCI interfaces listing and attach the /tmp/udevtrace.log file from a bootup pf the laptop? That would give an idea of what is happening. Thanks.
Richard

scottbg1

#25 Post by scottbg1 »

I hope you gus don't mind me jumping in here.

I have the conexant HSF modem. It is PCI not USB.

Puppy finds my modem immediately and will dial out no problem.

I confirmed this by dialing to another line.

But it will not connect with my ISP server. It will not detect the carrier.

I have not changed anything in the conf. or strings.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.