dpup-482beta testing

clarf

#61 Post by clarf »

DaveS wrote:This from dpup

See the kind of bright slightly ragged area under personal toolbar?

Hard to see at this res.
Hmmm, I see...

I don't have that problem, could be a FireFox theme related problem?. Very rear, do you have same problem with another resolution or color depth?

DaveS

#62 Post by DaveS »

clarf wrote:
DaveS wrote:This from dpup

See the kind of bright slightly ragged area under personal toolbar?

Hard to see at this res.
Hmmm, I see...

I don't have that problem, could be a FireFox theme related problem?. Very rear, do you have same problem with another resolution or color depth?
My guess is its theme related. All other display items are fine. Slight GTK mis-match?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jim1911

#63 Post by Jim1911 »

Using full install of 482sp3 on an ext4 partition. Impressive speed and stability.

Have tried Synaptic which will not work for me. Regardless of package selected to install, after the download and as soon as package installation starts, I get an error "Could not perform immediate configuration (2) on libc6".

Another problem, when adding other repositories and their known good public key, I keep getting a notice that the Public key is not available.

Question, shouldn't the partition the full hd installation is on be mounted and remain mounted?

Good news for kde 3.5 enthusiasts, ppm installed kde 3.5.9 from the debian lenny repositories which appears to be working fine. It start normally by exiting to the prompt and entering "xwin startkde". However, the kde installation broke the reboot/shutdown code even when you go back to jdm, therefore, I need to wipe the installation and reinstall.

Thanks,
Jim

James C

#64 Post by James C »

AFAIK, there should be a Synaptic patch being released soon. I ran into the same problems with 477 so I'll wait for the fix...... :)

gposil

#65 Post by gposil »

Yes, i'll have the fixed Synaptic up soon, just finishing off the base install database...please be patient, it is a big job.

If you want to keep Firefox in theme with dpup's own theme, I suggest you get Chromifox Basic from the Firefox theme download area...this Firefox Theme will be the default on the next release.

Cheers
Attachments
ffchrome.jpg
New default FF theme
(42.62 KiB) Downloaded 794 times
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

James C

#66 Post by James C »

I installed one of the best time-wasting applications of all time to 482 Beta 3......Gweled.

Clicked on the menu entry........no good. Used the terminal......no good. PPM had made a new directory at /usr/games/, moved contents to /usr/local/bin/ and Gweled launches from the menu.

Otherwise everything working well.

gposil

#67 Post by gposil »

With Debian games, all you have to do is change /usr/share/applications/ desktop file, to reflect that the executable is in /usr/games.

e.g.

Original:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Gweled
Comment=A "Diamond Mine" for Gnome
Exec=gweled
Icon=gweled.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GNOME;Application;Game;
StartupNotify=true

Fixed:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Gweled
Comment=A "Diamond Mine" for Gnome
Exec=/usr/games/gweled
Icon=gweled.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GNOME;Application;Game;
StartupNotify=true
The other thing I will do for the next release is add the /usr/games directory to dpup's search path and then it will work out of the box.

Cheers
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

James C

#68 Post by James C »

My solution worked but yours is much neater, much to learn..... :)

Now to go fix it the right way. :lol:

James C

#69 Post by James C »

Done. Thanks. :)

jobot

dpup-482 beta3

#70 Post by jobot »

I notice that in the country settings "af_ZA:Africaans, South Africa" "Afrikaans" is wrongly spelled. Should be af_ZA:Afrikaans, South Africa.
Running dpup-482 beta3 full install since yesterday. No major problems so far.

shankargopal

#71 Post by shankargopal »

Running dpup 482 beta 3 just now, enjoying the great speed and flexibility... thanks a lot to gposil and everyone else!

Just had one question. Gposil had mentioned that a full install is recommended when using apt-get / Synaptic. I run my Puppy from a flash drive, for which full installs are quite complex, and, since there probably have been changes in the init scripts in dpup, might involve a fair degree of coding that would be beyond me. I would just forget about apt and stick to PPM, but in 476j I was not able to add some of the repositories I want (see here and here for examples).

So was wondering if the only reason for recommending a full install is that the /var directory is not retained by Puppy in a frugal install (as gposil mentioned somewhere)? If that is the case it would seem it may be possible to 'fix' it by a couple of linking commands in rc.local so that the appropriate directories are symlinked into /var from /usr (or somewhere else) on each bootup. Might that work?

johnmd

482beta3 download problem?

#72 Post by johnmd »

Hi Everyone
Just tried to download dpup482beta3-2.6.30.5 iso and got only a 132mB file instead of 147 mB and wrong md5 sum - never had this with puppy downloads before - tried burning anyway but cd gave boot error message:

isolinux : disk Error 80 , AX = 4264 , drive 9F

any ideas please, is it just my download problem?

Best wishes, John

James C

#73 Post by James C »

Did you use wget? Downloading through a browser results in broken downloads.

Open a terminal and enter wget -t0 -c http://www.dpup.org/ ( remainder of url).

HTH.

johnmd

#74 Post by johnmd »

James C
Thanks very much for your prompt reply

No, I didn't use wget - I'd read that instruction but forgotten it again - mea culpa - and did just what you said - used browser and got broken download

BUT the good news is - I repeated browser download before seeing your post and this time fortune smiled - as she does once in a while even on a fool repeating his folly - and it downloaded OK

and what a change from 476 - WOW - network connection and cups setup worked perfectly first time - ditto firefox and mplayer played both music cd and a dvd direct when i clicked on desktop cd/dvd icon - perfect - but when i tried to eject disk using button on mplayer window it took me to a load file window instead - also couldn't start cd from rt click on mplayer window whereas dvd started fine that way - have to think better of mplayer now - in past puppies it seemed xine was the only really reliable media player on my setup [full install on 4 yr old compaq desktop S5020AN]

only one minus so far - click on abiword desktop icon gives momentary flash of gui but then it's gone again - at least in last version gui appeared - even if page set-up dialogue was unavailable and the whole programme closed when I clicked on preferences - BUT it starts ok from terminal and both page set up and preferences now work so maybe it's just the desktop icon link that's giving trouble

So - a big thank you to all who have put so much effort into DPUP - I think you're doing a great job - more power to your arms - wish i knew enough to help

shankargopal

problem with intel video driver

#75 Post by shankargopal »

Found a problem with the intel video driver... occurs rarely but very weird...

I run my Puppies from a flash drive, most often on two laptops - one a Dell Latitude X1 and the other an Eee PC 701 4G. Both laptops appear to have the same video chipset, which shows up in xorg.conf as "Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller". The auto-detected driver is "intel."

Everything starts fine and runs fine for a long time. But on both computers, at some completely random time while I'm trundling away, the screen will suddenly blank. This is not common but has happened about four times, with both 476j and 482 beta 3. After the screen blanks, doing Ctrl-F1 etc. takes me to the normal terminals. If I attempt to restart by typing "xwin" from Ctrl-F1, the "X" mouse pointer shows up, and then the screen blanks again. If I edit xorg.conf and change the driver to vesa, X starts normally and I'm back up and running.

I've run several different Puppies (4.1, 4.1.2, retro, normal) as well as other distros (sidux, Xandros) on these machines and never had this happen before. Seems like something wrong in dpup's intel driver? If it happens again will try to get something out of the logs.

Also, could someone help out with my full install / Synaptic question? :) want to use dpup as my main workhorse system, I love it, so just want all my bases clear before shifting over...

gposil

#76 Post by gposil »

shankargopal,

In answer to your two points, please do look at xerrs.log next time the video problem occurs, I have the same video chipset in my compaq c600 laptop and have had it running for days...so the x log would be important for me to track down the problem...

On Synaptic, yes we can symlink for frugal, but I stll haven't finished patch with dpkg database updates for dpup as opposed to Debian Lenny....should have it finished in a day or so, as I have said before this a long manual task, but it only has to be done once and then Synaptic can update itself...Sorry there's only one of me.. :)

Cheers

shankargopal

#77 Post by shankargopal »

Great thanks a lot. Will post xerrs.log next time this happens. Wish I could help out more...

sinc

#78 Post by sinc »

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#79 Post by Lobster »

is the md5sum here correct?
Tried downloading beta3 twice with errors
http://www.dpup.org/test/dpup482beta3-2.6.30.5/

Anyone doing better?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

shankargopal

#80 Post by shankargopal »

The md5sum worked fine for me... unless it's been changed since Sunday...