No Broadband? Download Linux at your Public Library

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
puppyite

No Broadband? Download Linux at your Public Library

#1 Post by puppyite »

If you’re on dialup as I am then downloading large ISO files is just not practical. To solve this problem I use the library’s PC to download files from the internet directly onto my PNY 8GB USB flash drive. When I get home I plug the drive in and copy my downloads to the HD.

I’m fortunate to live in an area with a public library that offers high speed internet access to it’s patrons. Maybe you do to?

bugman

#2 Post by bugman »

i have done this in the past, though my library now prefers that i not use their computers for over an hour at a time, or burn cds

on the other hand, it's an open wifi network, so if a person had a laptop they would be free to do as they pleased

puppyite

#3 Post by puppyite »

bugman wrote:i have done this in the past, though my library now prefers that i not use their computers for over an hour at a time, or burn cds
My library has 20 or more PC available for use by it’s members. I can login for one hour at a time. If I exhaust the first hour and if there is no queue my time is automatically extended (without interruption) in 15 minute increments. I can and have in the past spent several hours like this.

I burned CD-RW before I got a flash drive. For this task the flash drive is far more convenient. But I wouldn’t trust it for long term storage, not that I need to.

PupGeek

#4 Post by PupGeek »

a puppy download should not take a whole hour though..... unless the connection is really slow

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

In my area, the good old local government closed the libraries saying there was a lack of funding to keep them open!

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

8-bit wrote:In my area, the good old local government closed the libraries saying there was a lack of funding to keep them open!
..probably more like the Mayor (and his cronies) need more money for his (their) 'slush fund'. Very short sighted.. what about the kids?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

puppyite

#7 Post by puppyite »

01micko,
This link in your signature: give a dog a bone.. Responded: Forbidden, You don't have permission to access /01micko/ on this server. Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) Server at users.tpg.com.au Port 80. When I clicked it.

I hear you ask: “Why did you click it?

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

I thought most libraries, due to paranoia/concerns about people making illegal downloads/etc. were tending to have someone looking over your shoulder at all times, not allowing large downloads, etc.?

Not that I've been to a library in years. :D (I don't even know if our local library has net access, for that matter.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

puppyite

#9 Post by puppyite »

Makoto wrote:I thought most libraries, due to paranoia/concerns about people making illegal downloads/etc. were tending to have someone looking over your shoulder at all times, not allowing large downloads, etc.?
I have never noticed anyone monitoring my activities while accessing the internet and no jack booted soldiers have ever been sighted in or near my library.

My library’s rules are straightforward and reasonably simple. Patrons may not damage equipment or use library computers for illegal purposes. Files of any size may be downloaded but they can only be saved to removable media. Filters are installed on computers for the protection of minors. The library cannot be held responsible for minors who access material which parents may find objectionable. Parents are advised to monitor their children’s use of computers if they have any doubts about the suitability of material they may access while using the internet.

I can download a 700MB ISO in approximately 45 to 60 minutes depending on total load.
Not that I've been to a library in years. :D (I don't even know if our local library has net access, for that matter.)
You should go. Most libraries are clean and modern. All three of my local libraries have been recently renovated and feature such modern amenities as coffee shops. In addition to the public computers wireless internet access is also available. IMO libraries are one of the most enlightened uses of taxpayer money local governments can make.

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

puppyite wrote:You should go. Most libraries are clean and modern. All three of my local libraries have been recently renovated and feature such modern amenities as coffee shops. In addition to the public computers wireless internet access is also available. IMO libraries are one of the most enlightened uses of taxpayer money local governments can make.
Well, I don't doubt that my local library is still as clean and well-stocked as the last time I went, years ago. We're just a small town, so I wasn't sure whether or not they'd even have net access. I'll have to remind myself to check. :)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

01micko

#11 Post by 01micko »

[quote="puppyite"]01micko,
This link in your signature: give a dog a bone.. Responded: Forbidden, You don't have permission to access /01micko/ on this server. Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) Server at users.tpg.com.au Port 80. When I clicked it.

I hear you ask: “Why did you click it?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access