Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 22:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Introducing PULP - 125 MB Puplet for older hardware
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 18 [258 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
puppyiso

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct 2009, 00:40    Post subject:  

TextMaker word processor is indeed good one.
zenfunk

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct 2009, 13:47    Post subject:  

Quote:
Hey zenfunk!

VERY cool puplet! Two questions:

1. Are you still actively working / maintaining this?

Yes, sort of. Since the last release it is in almost daily use by me. So far I haven't found much room for improvement. Only thing I added afterwards was an easier and nicer way to open .doc files. The rest worked fine for me. I think the next release wouldn't be before Puppy 5 series are matured.
The only thing that really bugs me in puppy is the inconsistency between versions that keeps the community from having a nice big repository and a good packet manager of its own. The lack of these really is annoying once you had a taste of them in Debian or Ubuntu. So I will wait with my next version until Puppy is able to use a good repository.
Quote:
2. Would you have any issues with me mirroring it on my website?

Thanks!
Sully

Of course not, please go ahead. It's all free software. The more opportunities to share it, the better.

To Lobster:
I'm not very familliar with Textmaker, andnever tried word documents on it. How does it perform?
Nevertheless, since it is not free software I won't include it into the stock version.

The method I found to open word documents uses a script that converts the .doc file to a .pdf which then is opened in xpdf.

The method is described here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24551&start=0

The script is the following two lines:
#!/bin/sh
LANG="bs_BA" antiword -a a4 "$1" > ~/.doctmp.pdf && xpdf ~/.doctmp.pdf && rm ~/.doctmp.pdf

Store the script in /usr/bin or something under the name docview
and run it with this command:
docview nameofwordfile.doc

Viewing .doc files doesn't get any faster than this.

Cheers, Christian
mrreality13

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct 2009, 20:37    Post subject:  

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for ending my search for a old laptop os.
i been hunting and hunting for something i like to breath life into a old laptop.
Great job Laughing
im on it now on my toshiba satellite 2535cds pent1@.300 mhz/96 megs ram/4 gig hd /floppy/1- 1.1 usb/cd drive- Nice old gem hell the batt still holds about 1 1/2 hrs Rolling Eyes

I got it cheep on craigslist in the usa ($15) due to my reading Kmandla's blog and wanted to play with something up his alley `even he would be proud of this lil old lappy
im browsing here on firepup with steraming radio going
(xmms) and htop reports roughly 80% cpu and 45/96 ram Shocked
Very nicely done !!
zenfunk

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 07:31    Post subject:  

Yeehaw,
I'm really glad you like it. Very Happy

Nice RAM and CPU usage specs on your lappy.

Kmandlas blog was a great resource of information for the making of PULP. My skills are waaay below his, so a puppy remaster was the way to go for me.

Happy hacking,

Christian
sullysat

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 12:32    Post subject:  

[quote="zenfunk"]
Quote:
Hey zenfunk!

The method I found to open word documents uses a script that converts the .doc file to a .pdf which then is opened in xpdf.

The method is described here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24551&start=0

The script is the following two lines:
#!/bin/sh
LANG="bs_BA" antiword -a a4 "$1" > ~/.doctmp.pdf && xpdf ~/.doctmp.pdf && rm ~/.doctmp.pdf

Store the script in /usr/bin or something under the name docview
and run it with this command:
docview nameofwordfile.doc

Viewing .doc files doesn't get any faster than this.

Cheers, Christian

Christian,
How hard would it be to put this script into the distro with a menu entry next time you remaster?

I know I can do it because its right here and I see it, but for others down the road, that is a hugely useful function to have 'out of the box'

FYI, I'll mirror PULP this week and let you know when its up.

Just a thought,
Sully

sullysat

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 13:27    Post subject: Issues with Siag Office  

I'm having an issue with Siag Office that I hope others have seen and know a fix for.

Sometimes, but not always, the menu items and, specifically, the font selection menus, do not work.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

I have noticed that it happens more often after I install (frugally) to the hard drive.

I thought at first it was just a bug in another distro that used the same apps because it wasn't happening with PULP, but now since I installed to my test machine I'm seeing it happen here too.

Ideas?
Sully

mrreality13

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 16:31    Post subject:  

zenfunk wrote:
Yeehaw,
I'm really glad you like it. Very Happy

Nice RAM and CPU usage specs on your lappy.

Kmandlas blog was a great resource of information for the making of PULP. My skills are waaay below his, so a puppy remaster was the way to go for me.

Happy hacking,

Christian

My skills are way below his and yours but his blog really made the "tinkerer" in me curious Slight update now this old lap dog has a 60 gig hd,not sure why it see's 55 gigs, but i sow a post some where (cant find dam link now) that these older satellite's have a very forgiving bios.
see ya round the dog pound ,and again nice lil pup you made
zenfunk

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct 2009, 05:25    Post subject:  

Quote:
Christian,
How hard would it be to put this script into the distro with a menu entry next time you remaster?

I know I can do it because its right here and I see it, but for others down the road, that is a hugely useful function to have 'out of the box'

FYI, I'll mirror PULP this week and let you know when its up.

Just a thought,
Sully
This is exactly what I have planned for, but as I said before the next release very likely has to wait until puppy5 is released.

Have you tried out the docview script? Wickedly fast isn't it? You could run docview 5 times before abiword would start, let alone openoffice.

About the siag office issues - I really have no idea. I just did some basic typing just to make sure it works- that's about it.
Although I love tinkering with my otherwise "obsolete" low end laptops, my main computer still is a core2duo where all the "serious" work gets done, so I haven't used Siag much.

Quote:
My skills are way below his and yours but his blog really made the "tinkerer" in me curious Slight update now this old lap dog has a 60 gig hd,not sure why it see's 55 gigs, but i sow a post some where (cant find dam link now) that these older satellite's have a very forgiving bios.
see ya round the dog pound ,and again nice lil pup you made
I have two sattelites myself. While the bios might be very forgiving, the graphics card gives me headaches each time I boot a fresh puppy. Xvesa doesn't work, trident driver in xorg doesn't too, so you have to use xvesa driver in xorg(!!!) to get it going. Wicked.
Nevertheless, nice machines.
The oldest laptop I got has a 8082 processor and 1 MB RAM with a 1 MB kredit card type RAM expansion card. The MS- DOS 3.something is stored in ROM!!! (no harddrive, only floppy disk). While not for Linux (Linux only boots down to a 386 IMHO), the boot time of this old beast is about 12 seconds. Nice little machine for tetris or something.
mrreality13

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct 2009, 20:23    Post subject:  

mine runs fine in xvesa BUT with that being said im havein a hell of a time finding a video player that will play .avi files it SEEMS that mplayer and xine rely on xorg drivers.
And i was also wondering how to chance the background i cant find the file you mentioned that was broke in jwm,
Thanx Wink
zenfunk

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct 2009, 18:31    Post subject:  

Tuuxxx very kindly reuploaded the Abiword 1.0.2 version:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=212246#212246

Will get back to you about the background color,. I'm not at my PULP machine right now.
sullysat

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct 2009, 18:50    Post subject:  

zenfunk wrote:
Tuuxxx very kindly reuploaded the Abiword 1.0.2 version:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=212246#212246

Will get back to you about the background color,. I'm not at my PULP machine right now.

I'm looking forward to trying this version of Abiword after all the problems I'm seeing with Siag Office.

Are you going to try it out too zen?

Sully

zenfunk

PostPosted: Tue 20 Oct 2009, 13:16    Post subject:  

Changing the backround color:
Open ~/.jwm/jwmrc-personal in your texteditor and change the line that begins with <Background...... to something like this:

<Background="solid">#524A7F</Background>

The wicked series of numbers and letters is a colorcode.
You can find a code for the color you like with the Gcolor2 color chooser in the graphics menu.

Now on to abiword... downloading now.

Cheers, Christian
zenfunk

PostPosted: Tue 20 Oct 2009, 13:33    Post subject:  

Apparently the abiword from the above link seems to work. Yeehaw...

Have fun- and a big thanks to Tuuxxxx (again).

Christian
sullysat

PostPosted: Tue 20 Oct 2009, 16:35    Post subject:  

Wellllllll... it sort of works.

It loads, and runs, but it doesn't add to the menu properly. I added it to the menu, but then jwm didn't work right.

If it worked for you, please tell me what you did to make that happen.

I haven't had a chance to play with it since I loaded it, but I'm really hoping we can sort it out. It would be a good replacement for pathetic write, which lives up to its name completely.

I've seen several distros (not puppy, but DSL and a couple others) that run siag spreadsheet and some other word processor. My opinion based on how this version of abiword runs is, that you do that with the next version of PULP, provided that Siag will work better once its not tied up with the word processor.

I've never had a problem using siag, but on both PULP and ttuuxxx's 3.01Retro Lite, neither the word processor or the spreadsheet work correctly. I could do without a spreadsheet in a light distro, but a decent browser (firepup or dillo2) and a word processor are essential IMO.

Anyway, there you go.

Sully

zenfunk

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct 2009, 02:47    Post subject:  

I simply ran fixmenus after the installation and restarted jwm. Abiword was found in the documents submenu. I had no probs at all. What did you do?
(Nevertheless, I shot my system shortly afterward by installing a new glibc or something- how dumb is that? Grrrrr- will have to reinstall...).
Page 3 of 18 [258 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: