Seamonkey-2 RC1

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
01micko

#21 Post by 01micko »

panzerpuppy wrote:FileFactory sucks :(
Well it may. But, and I really don't care, I was able to upload a file to somewhere, and it is retrievable... (just tested on my old k6, 400MHz, 128MiB ram, via my P3 600 256 MiB ram [with Shareinternet-2.1.. thx 'gyro', which is in my shed, 25 metres from my wireless router] from file factory. [Yes you need to jump through hoops, but Puppies can be trained :P ] @ an average of 10KB/s)

The point is that Seamonkey-2.0 release candidate 1 is working well on my old clunker, and I can get it. :) . So can everyone else.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

fyujj

#22 Post by fyujj »

This is looking good, hope it's as stable as FF.
I had put FF3.5 'cos it's much more stable than Seamonkey 1.1.18 (by stable I mean rendering pages in a smoothier/faster way and also maybe the old adblock filter SM 1. was using would disturb it too...don't know).

The problem is Firefox is increasingly reducing its preferences options (the Ubuntu version, like the Windows one, doesn't even let you forbid cookies or allow for session etc., if I recall well), like one has to fiddle with about:config to change its default 50M set for cache (no comments...).

Thankfully this SM 2.0 is compatible with FF add-ons so it could be a rightful substitute for the fox.

jackieflorida

In 4.2.1: Missing about a dozen or so lib files.

#23 Post by jackieflorida »

Running Puppy 4.2.1, I downloaded Seamonkey-2.0-i486.pet from the Pet Store just a few minutes ago and installed it. At the end of the installation it listed about a dozen or so missing lib files and, no surprise, it did not work in this situation.

I read the two pages of topic and found no mention of this problem.

I have been using Seamonkey 1.1.18 installed by emptying the 1.1.15 folder and pasting in the 1.1.18 files. It has been working fine but I would still like to upgrade to SM 2.

What's up?

DMcCunney

Re: In 4.2.1: Missing about a dozen or so lib files.

#24 Post by DMcCunney »

jackieflorida wrote:Running Puppy 4.2.1, I downloaded Seamonkey-2.0-i486.pet from the Pet Store just a few minutes ago and installed it. At the end of the installation it listed about a dozen or so missing lib files and, no surprise, it did not work in this situation.

I read the two pages of topic and found no mention of this problem.

I have been using Seamonkey 1.1.18 installed by emptying the 1.1.15 folder and pasting in the 1.1.18 files. It has been working fine but I would still like to upgrade to SM 2.

What's up?
A chap in France made static builds of SM 1.18 Gtk1 and Gtk2, in browser only and full suite versions, and just did a static Gtk2 build of SM 2.02.

Grab the archive and extract over your existing SM install, or extract elsewhere and symlink the seamonkey script to a directory in your PATH. Works fine here so far.

http://www.lamarelle.org/mo-zi-lla/mozilla.php#smf
______
Dennis

jackieflorida

#25 Post by jackieflorida »

Thanks Dennis.

I'm not quite clear on what you meant here:
extract over your existing SM install
Do you mean to just add the extracted files to my existing /usr/lib/seamonkey folder containing my existing SM files?

EDIT 1:

I just extracted the download in a directory on another drive and clicked on the seamonkey file and it works showing ver 2.02. Now I still need your direction on where to put this folder (or its contents) in my existing installation.

DMcCunney

#26 Post by DMcCunney »

jackieflorida wrote:Thanks Dennis.

Do you mean to just add the extracted files to my existing /usr/lib/seamonkey folder containing my existing SM files?
Pretty much. The bz2 archive contains a seamonkey directory, so you would extract to /usr/lib.

This would replace your existing 1.1X version with 2.02.

I'm doing comparison tests, so I chose to extract it elsewhere and run it from there, as I have SM 1.18 installed too.
______
Dennis

DMcCunney

#27 Post by DMcCunney »

jackieflorida wrote:Thanks Dennis.

EDIT 1:

I just extracted the download in a directory on another drive and clicked on the seamonkey file and it works showing ver 2.02. Now I still need your direction on where to put this folder (or its contents) in my existing installation.
Don't do anything yet. I'm playing with it, and there's an oddity. The config info says it was built as the suite, but when you run it, only the browser is available. Gotta drop a note to Phillipe.

Meanwhile, you can visit Mozilla.org in SM 1.18 and get their update. It will give you a bz2 archive. Extract it over your test 2.02 version. IT will look and act the same as Phillipe's, save that it will have the functioning full suite, and will be a dynamic build. (I was interested in a static build because they tend to load faster on low-end kit like mine.)

There's nothing special about where the SeaMonkey directory lives. You can run it from there and expect things to work. What you will want to do, once satisfied it works as desired, is remove the existing seamonkey symlink in /usr/bin, and replace it with a symlink to the seamonkey script in your 2.02 directory. This way, Puppy will see and use it as defaultbrowser.
______
Dennis

rokytnji

2b2 pet Puppy 4.31 Full Install

#28 Post by rokytnji »

I used ttuuxxxs link

http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/ ... ey-2b2.pet

I kinda smiled when I came back after downloading and installing. Didn;t notice the good till Dec 2nd statement(must be my blinders were on). Oh well. Works for me.

I kept the stock seamonkey. Seamonkey 2 did not overwrite icon for browser on Desktop. Separate Seamonkey 2 showed up in Menu as Promised. .I imported Bookmarks for Seamonkey 2 from it. Made a separate Desktop Icon Launcher. SeaMonkey 2 picked up my Gxine and Java Plugins also . Pretty much painless install. Will see How it goes in MacPup next.

oui

stop the automatic start of videos in Seamonkey 2.xx.x

#29 Post by oui »

Hi

I use actually 2 versions of Seamonkey 2.xx.x in Pupjibaro Jessie:

- 2.49.4, the most actual one

as well as

2.30, the last version based on xulrunner, the best one version but unable to process HTML5 (this is the reason!).

of course with 2 different /root/.mozilla as well as with /root/.adobe and /root/.macromedia (using links and a script changing the links, no problem! and I use the very old libflashplugin.so with size 9.740 kB in /usr/lib/mozillla/plugins if using Seamonkey 2.30)

why?

on my Dell Laptop XPS with i7 (but relatively low frequency) is 2.49 needing to listen the sound of some webpages (especially that wonderful free page http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/ to learn 49 foreign languages starting from the 50th one (if you prefer, but it is possible to start with each one, and so to training an other one language at the same time you learn the other one. note: new fonts are sometime/often required! this is one of the reason for Pupjibaro: you have about unlimited access to synaptic use. to write, you can use https://www.inputking.com/ if it is not Arabic, Hebrew etc.). but it is to slow. also I use 2.30 in other situations...

why is Seamonkey 2.49.4 so slow on that powerful laptop?

simply, because it process spam advertising...

so I am searching a way to limit the use of advertising to the ones I am explicitely permitting. in other case, I accept a view on a picture from the video and not more. and I will start myself (like it's happen is flash is not installed! it was better: you install flash only on needing and are not disturb by videos! the browser starting html5 immediately are a real disease!), not be asked

how to do that?

musher0

#30 Post by musher0 »

Hi.

Make your /etc/hosts file more efficient?

Forum member mikeslr initiated a new thread about the hosts file
yesterday, here. Perhaps you will find your profit in it?

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)