Can't connect to network from my Compaq R4000..

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Nevermore

Can't connect to network from my Compaq R4000..

#1 Post by Nevermore »

after trying to install alot of linux version on this laptop (ubuntu, fedora core, pclinuxos,debian) , and they didn't satisfy me, i go back to good ol puppy.
here starts the problem:
puppy boots perfectly and works flawlessly except this,
the ethernet interface doesn't connect, i have an eth0 button, i put ip and gw, but it simply doesn't work (realtek RTL8139 family)
wireless doesn't work as well, also i can't install wifibeta since i dont have ethernet connection (broadcom 802.11b/g)
modem is dead also, i can't find it by clicking on the buttons..is an Ac97 softmodem under winzoze (should be a conexant since works with conexant drivers).

the laptop has also a cardreader (seen as texas instruments pcixx21), a pci slot (TI pcixx21), iee1394 (TI OHCI compliant host controller), a scsi raid controller (which i don't use), 3 usb 2.0, firewire port.

is there something to do for that?

also:
i want puppy to boor from hdd with no cd, and i've a fat partition, i wish to install puppy on that partition as well as grub as bootloader, so i can choose if i want winzoze or puppy any time and no need to care of a cd (i don't have floppy).

thanks all!
--
/sbin/Nevermore

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Nevermore

#3 Post by Nevermore »

wakepup?
but how can i have a bootloader list?
i don't want a embedded system, i want puppy to run OR windows xp :D
--
/sbin/Nevermore

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Puppywin has a very detailed Website, explaining how to install Grub for DOS to boot Puppy (a "Frugal" install, which is the fastest Harddisk-solution).
You don't even need Win 98, just DOS.

You also could install a "real" grub without DOS of course, the Wiki has several articles explaining that.

Mark

Nevermore

#5 Post by Nevermore »

thanks
any clue about the other issues?
i can't do much w/o ethernet and wireless..
im locked out.
--
/sbin/Nevermore

#6 Post by Guest »

Also R4000 without ethernet and wireless, Conexant,Broadcom, Ti, Realtec are some of the items to sort out. Audio not reconized. I booted puppy live from cd and usb flashdrive. New enough to be intrigued and looking now at hardware drivers and ndiswrapper for broadcom wireless g. I like the speed of running in ramdrive. I have heard of some Broadcom working without ndiswrapper. Is this most desireable and only good on some other distros?