Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
rjbrewer

#21 Post by rjbrewer »

Gparted problem:

I've been trying to install various versions of 4.3.0-4.3.1 using
the Gparted on the cds, and universal installer.

Tried ext.2-3-and4, both full and frugal installs. When I try to
boot, always get "Error 2 bad file or directory".

If I make the partitions with any previous Puppy Gparted, going
back to 3.0, there is no problem at all.

Is there an older Gparted pet available that I can use on 4.3.1.

EDIT:
Mon. Oct. 26

Puppy 4.3> makes partitions with a 256 inode count which don't
boot from my previous grub.

Switching to 4.3> grub solves the problem and is backward
compatible with 128 inode partitions.

Other options:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 324#262324
Last edited by rjbrewer on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 15:32, edited 2 times in total.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

dawg

#22 Post by dawg »

BTW, I like the new Package Manager and I've a suggestion:
it'd be useful if it also displayed package sizes (packed and extracted), and also if the Installed Packages list could be resizable.
Another one: being able to select multiple packages (say, thru Ctrl+click) would also be useful ..but this is "deluxe" :D

mmmrr

a bug??

#23 Post by mmmrr »

very nice work gang

in 431 and 431 small, scan for wireless network, in network wizard, found nothing on first try, offered choice: retry/quit retry found lots, fine but what about having the scan run twice on the opening attempt, if the first pass is empty...

the little critter is so quick that time extra would be tiny......it was awhile before i tried the retry because in other utilities, apps the retry choice is not often so useful; in this case it seems required so why not combine the first two scans into one in the script, have a more useful first result.

cheers, mm

prehistoric

Skype pet for 4.3.1

#24 Post by prehistoric »

The Skype pet in the Puppy 3 repository fails on 4.3.1. The Skype 2.0.0.72 pet in the "bugs" directory at puppylinux.ca works. The only problem I experienced was a missing icon, now copied from a different installation.

---------

Suggested Windows 7 message: "Found old hardware; install Puppy"

tronkel

jwm shutdown not working

#25 Post by tronkel »

None of the shutdown menu items seem to work now in JWM

This has been the case since I re-sized the pupsave file to over 1G.

Anyone else seen this problem?
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

slackali

Re: ...crashing window blacks desktop

#26 Post by slackali »

prehistoric wrote:... I've had a problem of the desktop crashing, while using Puppy to examine a Windows system partition, when there are too many files in a directory. (You know what a mess you find in a Windows system folder.) I may have just been lucky using Puppy for this before, but now I've had the problem happen twice in a few minutes. The panel remains on the screen, but everything else is black. I've been restarting the window manager to get the desktop back.
--edit for clarity--
I can confirm this issue, using ROX to browse "x:\WINDOWS\\system32" folder, with additional details.

(All tests run from LiveCDs with pfix=ram.)

I reproduced this issue on two computers, but not a third:

1. (pup431-2.6.30.5) a Dell Dim9100 Pentium D 3GHz w/ 3G RAM and no swapspace.
2. (pup431-2.6.25.16-intel-modems) a Thinkpad T20 PIII w/ 512MB RAM and 512MB swap.

Browsing to the directory in ROX: ROX starts processing the icons for the files (default settings, no thumbnails), then the window closes and the wallpaper goes black; all icons are gone. My other open app window was still open, and the toolbar & start menu @ bottom still work fine... in fact everything seems to work. No anomalies in 'top', X still running. The mounted drive is still mounted. No problem using console to 'ls /mnt/sda1/WINDOWS/system32' .

I could _not_ cause this blackscreen in puppy431 on a Dell Dimension E310, Pentium 4 2.8GHz 1GB RAM no swap, on either kernel, whether I used Xorg or Xvesa.

But! I then reproduced this from the puppy 4.1.2-2.6.25.16 LiveCD on the Thinkpad T20.

On the other hand, on the puppy 2.17.1 liveCD, the Thinkpad was snappy (much faster than the Dell E310 on the new puppies) at opening & scrolling through the files.

(The mounted "system32" folders on the E310 and the Thinkpad were both NTFS WinXP folders with 50+ subfolders & 2000+ files, so presumably reasonably similar.)
Last edited by slackali on Wed 21 Oct 2009, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

Denethor

#27 Post by Denethor »

I have a 8132 Atheros Ethernet network adapter, Puppy while the network adapter to configure it or fails to make it work because not connected in any way. Also at the next restart even windows recognizes most ethernet adapter until not out nutrition for 5 or 6 seconds. It is as if linux disattivasse somehow tab. is a problem I have seen of the atl1c module and also with arc and ubuntu has happened to others! Is there a way to resolve? Thanks a lot!

slackali

Re: ...crashing window blacks desktop

#28 Post by slackali »

(All tests run from LiveCDs with pfix=ram.)

OK, three more details re the Rox blackscreen when mounting & browsing a Windows system folder:

1. The blackscreen appears the same as if I manually kill the 'Rox-Filer' process.
2. "Restart JWM" from start menu does not fix the issue. "Restart X Server" does.
3. The blackscreen happens under both Xorg and Xvesa (greyscreen).

It doesn't happen every boot.

It feels like Rox generates a cache of the folder's icons, so if it is going to crash, it's the first (or first and second) time I access the folder (containing 2000+ files in my tests). After the first (or first and second) accesses/crashes, Rox is very responsive browsing that folder.

Again, I did reproduce this once on the 4.1.2 - 2.5.25.16 LiveCD as well.
  • On the system I couldn't reproduce the blackscreen on, it did reliably show an odd behavior after the "system32" folder loaded in Rox.

Dragging the scrollbar to scroll up and down in the Rox window would show a garbled icon list whenever I was scrolling through the icons in the middle of the alphabet. When I'd scrolled down about 800 files, the icons would mostly stop scrolling, in a garbled state of display. Once I got down to within ~800 files of the end, the icons would suddenly refresh and scroll reliably. Same during repeat scrolling. So scrolling the middle of the alphabet resulted in scrambled displays. However, the actual icons were invisibly keeping track of their positions: right-clicking a garbled display would refresh the display & show the correct icons.

slackali

hardinfo benchmark weirdness

#29 Post by slackali »

according to hardinfo, milestone marks for a Celeron M 1.5GHz:
lower is better for all tests:
CPU Blowfish 26, FPU Raytrace = 41.

Dell Dim9100, Pentium D (two Pentium 4s) 3.0GHz, 3 G Ram, no swap space:

puppy 423 2.6.25.16-SCSIl:
CPU Blowfish = 27 :( . FPU Raytrace 31 :roll: . FFT = 7.7

puppy 431 2.6.30.5:
Blowfish 13.7 :) . Raytrace 57 :cry: . FFT "Segmentation fault." :shock:

Dell DimE310, P4 2.8GHz w/ Hyperthreading on in BIOS, no swap.

puppy431-2.6.30.5:
blowfish 43 :( . raytrace 98 :cry: :cry: . FFT Segfault :shock:
  • (same in Xorg or Xvesa)
puppy431-2.6.25.16-intelmodems:
blowfish 29 :? . raytrace 34 :roll: FFT 8.2 :)

Same Dell DimE310, but with hyperthreading OFF in BIOS:
EITHER puppy431 version ~= the previous result w/ hyperthreading on but older kernel:
blowfish 29, raytrace 34, FFT 8.2.

FWIW, here are the numbers from my Thinkpad T20 P3 512MB Ram & 512 MB swap:

same results in 4.3.1-2.6.25.16 and in 4.1.2-2.6.25.16:
blowfish 113, raytrace 132, FFT 96 . :cry:

(all tests from LiveCD with pfix=ram)

slackali

JWM (or a Rox?) issues

#30 Post by slackali »

two things:

1. if I go into JWM configuration GUI menu & try to change Alt+Tab to trigger the command 'nextstacked' instead of the default 'next', it works... but Alt doesn't work anymore in other contexts. (e.g. accessing a 'File' menu in an app by typing Alt-F).

I've experimented w/ every Puppy jwm config file w/o success. I've never known whether this was a puppy or jwm issue. Issue existed in 4.1.2 also.

2. yellow 'tooltips' pop up after hovering mouse cursor over toolbar app placeholders or over 'Show Desktop' or 'Menu' icons. The tooltips persist or reappear as long as you hover over the file icon area on lower left of desktop.

in 4.1.2, the tooltips were harder to get to persist after you left the toolbar area.

I noticed after the blackscreen rox-filer crashes, the tooltips weren't an issue anymore.

8-bit

#31 Post by 8-bit »

Puppy 431 scsi frugal kernel 2.6.30.5
I cannot seem to save snapshots with Paint.
I could with Puppy 43 scsi beta 3.

Edited:
Never mind. I found out that you cannot manually edit the path in the top window.
That kills the save of the program in the bottom window.

slackali

boot times worse?

#32 Post by slackali »

Boot times, on LiveCDs, from typing pfix=ram, to the first boot prompt e.g. 'Keyboard Layout': my most powerful (?) machine boots the slowest.

My ten-year-old Thinkpad T20 P3 w/ 512MB Ram and 512MB swap boots LiveCDs much faster than my Dell Dimension 9100 Pentium D (two P4 3GHz CPUs), 3GB RAM, no swap space. But things have degraded on the Thinkpad in recent Puppies.

-- On the Thinkpad T20, puppy 2.17.1 and 4.1.2-2.6.25.16 both take approx 1m30sec to boot. In 2.17.1, the "loading *.sfs to RAM" line takes 40sec; in 4.1.2, it takes 50sec.

On 4.3.1-2.6.25.16-intelmodems, loading the sfs file to RAM takes 60 seconds. The whole boot (from pfix=ram to Language prompt) takes 2:00 seconds, not 1:30.

-- In contrast, on the Dimension 9100 Pentium D:
p2.17.1 -- 60 sec to load RAM, 2:55 total boot time
p4.1.2 -- 70 sec to load RAM, 1:45 total boot time
p431-2.6.25.16intel -- 90 sec to load RAM, 1:58 total boot time
p431-2.6.30.5 -- 80 sec to load RAM, 1:50 total boot time

-- Quite different: on a Dimension E310 w/ one P4 processor & no swapspace, loading time has been pretty consistent and quick from puppy 4.1.2 to 4.3.1 -- about 60 seconds total.
Enabling / disabling hyperthreading in BIOS on this machine makes very little difference in this case.

So why does the Pentium D (two P4 3.0GHz), 3 GB RAM boot so much slower than the Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM machine? And, why does puppy431 boot 33% slower on the Thinkpad than most previous Puppies?

ecube

Partview Free space in drives

#33 Post by ecube »

I have improved(?) the partview function of Puppy 4.3.1rc2.

When you run the program, the free space of mounted partitions are first shown. After that, you have the option to show the free space of all partitions (including not mounted ones).

If you install the included Partview.pet in Puppy 4.3.1 the existing version of partview will be replaced.

You can run the program from "Utility: Partview" or by klicking the icon besides "Show Desktop" in the bottom list.
Attachments
Partview.pet
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 1094 times
pv5.jpg
(50.43 KiB) Downloaded 4182 times

DemostiX

Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions

#34 Post by DemostiX »

1. Feel like I spent hours trying different old save files to discover one which would find an Xorg video setting with 4.3.1 booting either from CD or from USB stick. This with a Thinkpad T42 with which all previous puppies from 4.20 and many unofficials as well as other distros have had no problem. (Old setting was 1024 x 768 x 24).

I haven't noticed this reported much in archives. Does a maven suggest leaving behind a save file with modest, near VGA, video settings to avoid this problem? (It can occur with another OS video subsystem if downgrading monitors)

2. Suggestion: A single screen or notebook of many alterable Puppy settings for newbies. I'd like to know for example, which save file is in use; and to have the option of NOT saving or of saving to new file. I'd also like options on some of what goes to the save file, without ad hocing on such as browser profiles and the browser caches and downloads. Only the last is usually straightforward to user-alter. Been through this with OS/2, browser updates, and profiles.

DemostiX

Partview revision

#35 Post by DemostiX »

The user want to get at a single glance his balance of space. So the free space text should be within the bars, where the eye is drawn by a graphic and where the gaze will often coincide with the actual amount of free space.
So, the total size should be exterior to the bars. In other words, the positions should be reversed. I think this is non-controversial GUI standard.

ecube

Swap labels in Partview

#36 Post by ecube »

DemostiX :Labels are in the wrong place in the recent .pet
Good point!

Anybody else of the same opinion?

/Olov
Attachments
pv6.jpg
(23.05 KiB) Downloaded 4036 times

Minnesota

Still very confusing

#37 Post by Minnesota »

" Quote: DemostiX :Labels are in the wrong place in the recent .pet
Good point!
Anybody else of the same opinion?
/Olov
Yes... this is very confusing....first you read the right side... as that is where they eyes go... and it says xxxx... free... OK.. then you go to the left... and there is little separation between the drive designation and the size of the entire drive. Once you see to the right of the drive designation... you have to mentally calculate the ratio of free to non free.....

I would much rather see two bars to the right... or label each of the right segments to indicate size. YOU have tons of extra space... so please try and make this a lot easier to read. Even two colors.. will help.... something so it is easy to determine the total drive size verses the free space.

G[/quote]

dogle

#38 Post by dogle »

wuwei reported some problems upgrading 421 to 431 on a frugal install.

Doing the same version upgrade (to 431small) on a multisession I find that the 421 wallpaper is maintained, the excised 'save' icon is maintained and functional, and the remaining desktop icons have become 'generic'. Prior to the version upgrade process 431 on the multisession-burned disk was OK.

Hmm, do I have a one-off, in which case I need to start from scratch as wuwei has done, or has anyone else experienced this and found a fix?

tlchost

Desktop Icons resist moving

#39 Post by tlchost »

Desktop icons for lock, zip, trash and save do not stay in new positions when moved and ystem is rebooted....their positions interfere with Pwidgets.

Thom

vtpup

#40 Post by vtpup »

System:
Asus mb 2.4 Ghz Pent 4
Upgrade from 4.1.2 frugal.
iso image MD5sum checked.
s4sfs loaded:
Wine 1.1.24
Open Office 3.0

Problems:

1.) I get error messages in rxvt on opening. Screenshot attached.

2.) Both NicoEdit and Geany don't start from menu.

3.) Rox dropdown "Open as text" doesn't work.
Attachments
RxvtError.png
(28.75 KiB) Downloaded 2586 times