PowerPup! A project to port Puppy to PPC macs!

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Aitch

#81 Post by Aitch »

ecomoney wrote:Could Puppy be the first LiveCD for a games console?
In a word, Rob - NO

YellowDog/Gentoo/Debian/Ubuntu already do it, if you look

Aitch :)

PowerPup

#82 Post by PowerPup »

Just to let you all know I going to start working on that PPC sfs now. :D I decided what I'd do is what technosaurus had said in his New Puppy based on the best parts of many distros topic. "using Kernel 2.6.29+, busybox, minimal X, JWM ." Once I have that, I'll use it as a building block to work my way up to something that hopefully look something similar to what we have for x86 pcs.

But before I do any of this, I'm going to try to get that ram for my G4 today. :P

Puppy on!

Aitch

#83 Post by Aitch »

Hi PowerPup

Perhaps it's time to re-read the whole of this thread, to put all the tips & links in order, and make sure all the info is still applicable/relevant
- there's been quite a bit, eh?

Let me know when it's time to dig out and dust off the G3, and make some benchspace available

.....damn, I was going to sort the dual xeon processor mobo SCSI booting out, too, and the mini-itx car PC
I keep running out of room, and I'm still due to do a 8/10 day narrowboat trip, testing & running-in a rebuilt Mercedes engine

I seem to have less time now I'm retired than before....did the clocks go back or something.....? :lol: :lol:

good luck with it!

PowerPup

#84 Post by PowerPup »

Hey Aitch,

Thanks for the idea, I was aware that the first post was getting a little out dated. (Though not by much. :P )

It has been fixed accordingly. :D

Little update on the Nubus mac Kernel project. They released a 2.6.31 test kernel, I'm going to try it out on some of my old macs. (They noted the PDM type (6100/7100/8100) machines weren't supported yet.)
But when they have a stable version I'll be able to bring PowerPup to even older Macs!!! :D (An even further dream coming to possibility!)

Aitch

#85 Post by Aitch »

more news

see amigo's comment, posted here

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 828#353828
Most srcpkg users just use it in the simplest of fashions and it will work without problems for at least 80% of anything you throw at it. But for more complex builds, it can use build scripts which guarantee the repeatability of your builds and the scripts are arch-independent. You can use the same script to compile on other arches -even multi-lib distros. So when you have the hang of using it, you can easily copy over your build scripts to that puppy-ppc or puppy-x86_64 machine and rebuild every package with the same ease. there are example scripts included and even group-build scripts which show how to rebuild a whole tree full of many sources with a single command.
seems amigo's already worked some magic for slackware, too, I believe

HTH

PowerPup

#86 Post by PowerPup »

Thanks Aitch, :D I will have to mess around with src2pkg and see what I can do with it. ;)

racepres

#87 Post by racepres »

Darn Me!!! Why did it take me so long to find this??
If it helps[hope it does] I have been fighting w/ linux on a mac for quite some time off and on.
Recently I had alot of luck with a Wallstreet Powerbook, because it is new enough to run most kernels ported for the mac's [note that newer kernels bork stuff like pcmcia support] yet old enough to boot from pcmcia/zip/cd, drive, as well as hdd. I feel that this is important because bootX is so very easy to use and OS9 fits even onto a 100M zip w/ it. Now the entire hdd is "dedicated " to Linux. Important to me because more than once I have removed the hard drive from the macs [used an imac, and a g4 agp for this also] and put it into a Pee Cee, running a puppy cd to edit the hdd, successfuly!
Don't know if this is any help at all but... to me it works wonders to the point that I now also have a PB1400 [newbus/old world rom] running debian.

Best of luck to you, and sure wish I knew more about this stuff... but if you want something tried on a certain Mac, I may just have the thing around this clutter, since our business has run on Mac since '85!
RP

PowerPup

#88 Post by PowerPup »

Great to hear your success with Linux on Macs, Racepres. :D
Though the 2.6.31 nubus kernel is still in testing, there has been two (if I remember right) successes reported in the mailing list on running Debian Lenny on the PB1400.

Yes I wish I knew more too. :P Hence why this is taking so long. (Plus I have only one monitor for my PC and Mac. Trying to Look for a cheap LCD.)

And thanks for all the encouragement guys, it does help. :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#89 Post by Lobster »

Trying to Look for a cheap LCD.
I have given CRT monitors and other stuff to these guys
http://www.freecycle.org/
and got one old but working LCD monitor for my Mac (which I also got from them)

In fact CRT monitors are often left out in the London streets.
Appreciate things may be different where you are. :?
Where in the states are you? Maybe a local Mac Puppian can help you out? 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

racepres

#90 Post by racepres »

Lobster wrote:
Like Me for instance... I travel the I65 corridor regularly.
RP

racepres

#91 Post by racepres »

Hey PowerPup;
Where do you suppose the PowerPuppy Kernel is looking for the pup_301.sfs to be at anyway??? Could it be on hdd/usbdrive/cd??? Just curious where it would be "looking"
RP

PowerPup

#92 Post by PowerPup »

racepres wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Like Me for instance... I travel the I65 corridor regularly.
RP
I live in the state of Washington. 8) I'll probably look around on the local freecycle group. :D

racepres wrote:Hey PowerPup;
Where do you suppose the PowerPuppy Kernel is looking for the pup_301.sfs to be at anyway??? Could it be on hdd/usbdrive/cd??? Just curious where it would be "looking"
RP
The problem isn't where it's looking for the pup_301.sfs file. (Because I used a test file on one of my G4's hard drive and it worked.)

The problem is I need to create a pup_301.sfs file with PPC compiled programs and such. It uses the original puppy scripts, so it technically should be able to locate the sfs file on any media puppy supports. :)

omskates

#93 Post by omskates »

Any plans on how to get around the Adobe Flash 10 issues with PPC architecture? From what I can remember Adobe doesn't port it to ppc and all you can do is "grab" videos with other software rather than streaming.

omskates

#94 Post by omskates »

Powerpup, I PM'd you about a PowerBook G4.

racepres

#95 Post by racepres »

PowerPup wrote: The problem isn't where it's looking for the pup_301.sfs file. (Because I used a test file on one of my G4's hard drive and it worked.)

The problem is I need to create a pup_301.sfs file with PPC compiled programs and such. It uses the original puppy scripts, so it technically should be able to locate the sfs file on any media puppy supports. :)
Yea I found that out this A.M. Took the sfs from "WhiteFang" and just dropped it onto my debian hdd and then booted into your CD. It sure does try to get into it! But eventually had a [expected] kernel panic! Certainly looks as if it will eventually work.
Again anything you want tested.... just give a yell...
RP

PowerPup

#96 Post by PowerPup »

omskates wrote:Any plans on how to get around the Adobe Flash 10 issues with PPC architecture? From what I can remember Adobe doesn't port it to ppc and all you can do is "grab" videos with other software rather than streaming.
I'll probably try to use Gnash for flash movies. :)

racepres wrote:
PowerPup wrote: The problem isn't where it's looking for the pup_301.sfs file. (Because I used a test file on one of my G4's hard drive and it worked.)

Yea I found that out this A.M. Took the sfs from "WhiteFang" and just dropped it onto my debian hdd and then booted into your CD. It sure does try to get into it! But eventually had a [expected] kernel panic! Certainly looks as if it will eventually work.
Again anything you want tested.... just give a yell...
RP
Yeah, it did a better job with the sfs file I copied off my PPC ubuntu CD. It ended in the command line, but I couldn't start x. :P

Don't worry, I'll give a holler when I have something. :D

racepres

#97 Post by racepres »

PowerPup wrote: Yeah, it did a better job with the sfs file I copied off my PPC ubuntu CD. It ended in the command line, but I couldn't start x. :P

Don't worry, I'll give a holler when I have something. :D
I think that starting x may be a challenge anyway. In my experiences [with debian] the proper X11/x.config has been critical for the machine used... not auto detected at all for the G3iMac, decent for the g4, difficult on the powerbook G3, and nearly impossible on a powerbook 1400.
If you need some x.config values for different machines LMK
RP

nic2109

#98 Post by nic2109 »

Lobster wrote:
I have given CRT monitors and other stuff to these guys
http://www.freecycle.org/
and got one old but working LCD monitor for my Mac (which I also got from them)

In fact CRT monitors are often left out in the London streets.
Appreciate things may be different where you are. :?
Just to let the world know (Lobster will know this already if he's an active Freecycler) that this excellent movement is (very sadly) fragmenting as the owners of the 'Freecycle' brand have become very dictatorial and also have links with waste management interests with some dubious stuff in their history.

In the UK folk unhappy with the way it's been going have set up parallel organisations called Freegle and Realcycle. So you do have a choice.

But the idea of saving the planet one gift at a time is compelling, so do please follow this up.

Here endeth the sermon. :wink:
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

omskates

#99 Post by omskates »

PowerPup wrote: I'll probably try to use Gnash for flash movies. :)
SWFDEC, maybe another possibility? Though I'm not any where near skilled to help develop it for PowerPup (sorry)
http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/wiki/

mmmrr

ibook g3 outofbox reaches commandline, wired internet, fast

#100 Post by mmmrr »

hi all, congrats powerpup

in puppy fashion your progress has urged me to try
other thing which may be useful, because i could not
find a link to yr pup at that moment i clicked on
live cd link to list of live cd linux in post of technosaurous
page 1 this topic.....
[http://distrowatch.com/search.php?categ ... tus=Active]

chose finnix.org,, the little wonder which booted as fast and reliably
as a puppy [on ibook g3] to the commandline, wired internet access alas no gui i could find...it might be a useful launching pad

i don't know cli enough to use the built in sysadmin
tools or to fetch install gui ...it has 4 consoles

anybody pointing me towards getting a gui up gets
big thanks, now i'll resume hunt for yr iso link and
give it a go, thx for getting this ball rolling, puppy
stuff on one of these babies--ibook--is hellacious...

cheers, mm

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?categ ... tus=Active