slackware puplet, back to the drawing board

plaguedogs

slackware puplet, back to the drawing board

#1 Post by plaguedogs »

-edit

see the new thread here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49195

md5: 127c82b933181bcffeea015142312499
here is my fixed spup. i changed the pup to pdp so there is no confusion between the real spups and my edited version. pdp=plague dogs puplet

-edit
new stock spup iso,
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a064ff1 ... 6_30_5_iso
devx
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a064g15 ... 6_30_5_sfs

c403b472d90df45a235e13cfea5f5228 checksum for the iso
0d58b111643d90d661b73eec94fddb7e checksum for the devx

kernel sources http://www.puppylinux.com/sources/kernel-2.6.30.5/

this was built with the latest woof, 20091024B. kernel 2.6.30.5. no scsi, no extra modules, nothing. i changed the backgrounds to fit my taste, and i had to edit line 126 in Packages-puppy-woof-official to use rox_filer-2.6.1-21-p4.pet as opposed to ver 2.9.0-p4. as for the other missing pets, jwmconfig2, valide and you2pup have been located, processed, and are in the build.
happy testing slackers.
Last edited by plaguedogs on Mon 30 Nov 2009, 07:05, edited 5 times in total.

raffy

join

#2 Post by raffy »

You can join any of these ongoing efforts to speed up your progress:

Kernel compiling for the XO:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47337&start=30

Slaxer pup:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41298
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Iguleder

#3 Post by Iguleder »

I'm into spup myself, too.

I think we should arrange some group to develop a spup - just choose one leader, upload his buggy ISO and share it between all members to start bug-hunting. I offer my skills.

I think gposil's development model fits: we need a "476", a default spup built with all defaults, then we can start fixing every Puppy-Slackware incompatibility and make a "482", a stable 4.3.1-like Puppy built from Slackware 13 packages. After that, we can replace applications and mess with dependencies.

raffy

woof

#4 Post by raffy »

There is now updated woof for getting started:
http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01179
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

plaguedogs

#5 Post by plaguedogs »

i agree that we need some sort of strategy, i also really like the idea of building from current slack packages. i think over in the slaxer forum, big bass has the latest pkgtool running and i think its installing .txz's from slack 13. ill have to read through the thread again. i had pkgtool installed on my spup but it wasn't dealing with the txz's. i think the only difference between tgz and txz is lzma compression. my "normal" distro is zenwalk(slack based xfce), it has its own pkg format calld tlz, its just a tgz with lzma. so when slackware changed in ver 13, zenwalk had no problem with the new format, a guy just had to upgrade his pkgtools and all was well. we were all installing packages from slackware current the same day.

yeah we need a leader too. im no leader, im just a welder. i dont have the skills, or the time to administrate a project of this scale.

tonight i will get the latest woof and build a stock spup. i think that most of my fixes from my first iso will still be relevant so instaed of editing the root fs during the ./3builddistro, maybe ill upload the fixes as a seprate tar or something. what do you think?

my last build had a 2.6.29.6 kernel because i cant get any sound out of the 2.6.30.5 builds. im running a dell inspiron 1525 notebook and i have the same issue with the offical 4.3, dpup and the spups i built with the 30.5 kernel. unfortunately my collection of outdated desktops are in alberta, about 1500km from here (here being victoria bc canada).

im off to start my new build, wish me luck.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

Spup on the wiki now
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Spup
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Iguleder

#7 Post by Iguleder »

I'm currently messing with upup, but once I'm done with it I'll make a spup too, I just need some base for my puplet. I'll make 2 spups with both 2.6.25.16 and 2.6.30.5, because nVidia drivers worked beautifully only with .25.16 under Puppy 4.3, I want to test this again with different packages to track down the source of the problem.

And by the way, I tried to make Woof work with Zenwalk and failed, I'll try again. Zenwalk uses a repos format similar to Slackware's ... a quick start.

I think it might be a good idea to share bugs and fixes in this topic.

plaguedogs

#8 Post by plaguedogs »

I tried to make Woof work with Zenwalk and failed, I'll try again.
lguleder

the first few woofs worked with other distros, providing you had the sfs4 dependency met. all the recent woofs need a puppy 4.3 or better. its mentioned in the readme. it is nice to know there is another zenwalker among us.

in my first iso, spdp-296. i edited the rootfs in sandbox3 during the ./3builddistro script. i replaced the following with their slackware 12.2 equivalents.

abiword 2.6.6 -upgrade from 2.6.3
geany 0.17
leafpad 0.8.16
xine-libs 1.1.15
parted 1.8.8

i did it all by hand and it took a long time. i also added some stuff to meet their dependencies.

cxxlibs 6.0.9
device mapper 1.02.28
gucharmap 1.10.0
svgalib 1.9.25

epdfview was also broke. i cheated and did a

ln -s libpoppler-glib.so.3.0.0 libpoppler-glib.so.4

it worked so i left it.

i tried a few different methods of implementing my fixes. i tried editing the package list, i tried pulling the packages out of the /packages-spup dir. in the end it seemed like less work to do it by hand in the rootfs-complete dir. the only downfall i could see was that the list in /root/.packages is incorrect. it still lists the old versions of the fixed packages.

i was pretty proud of it when i posted it on file share. i had lots of slack packages installed and working. then after having problems while compiling vbox kernel modules, winecfg crashing, and some strange behaviour from xfce, i edited my first post to reflect my failure.

check this out, i installed xfce from slackware, it worked awesome. then i tried to drop out to a console, and i was left blind. xfce closed, my screen went black. i typed startxfce4 and my window manager came back. i repeated this 3 or 4 times, i switched from xfce to jwm (all in a blacked out console, or "blind" if you will). if i remember correctly when i dropped out of jwm i had my console back, displaying text like it should. is that not bizarre?

the link is still there, at the very top of this thread.
right now im about half way through ./2createpackages. give me a couple hours and ill have the new one built. im going to build one with the newest 2.6.30.5 kernel, option 7. and ill build a "retro" 2.6.29.6 for my self, or anyone who wants it.

see you in a bit.

plaguedogs

#9 Post by plaguedogs »

during my ./2createpackages i ran into this,

jwmconfig2-20091009.pet not found
it suggests to find it, put it in packages-pet, & build it.
it can be found here http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ages-woof/

-edit
these are also missing
rox_filer-2.9.0-p4.pet - might have to use an older version
valide-20090321.pet -i cant find this anywhere
you2pup-1.3-2.pet - this ones on http://espejos.ucr.ac.cr/puppylinux/pet_packages-woof/

i have found a few pets with "uj" in the title, like valide-194-uj.pet & rox_filer-2.6.1-18-uj.pet. whats this stand for? ubuntu juanty?
that will never do, ill figure something out.

this is more or less a post to me, from me.

-edit
ok its very late now and i will get the iso up tomorrow...

but i ran a grep -i -r on my woof dir looking for something to hack, i found
valide-20090321 is in the packages-puppy-woof-official file, line 153
valide-194-uj is on line 154, the packages are the same size. what do i do here? i think im just going to leave that one alone.

as for rox filer, im afraid that has to go back to version 2.6 something.

until tomorrow

Iguleder

#10 Post by Iguleder »

I'll try to examine the Slackware package tables again today and see if Zenwalk works as I expect. If it does, I'll try to make Woof Zenwalk modifications and a zpup :wink:

Thanks for the info about spup, I'll try to make a Slack-13 spup today if I find the time, I'll post the results here.

tubby

#11 Post by tubby »

Try this :) .

Iguleder

#12 Post by Iguleder »

Finally got home and reinstalled 4.3.1 to start messing with spup... I'm in the ./1download stage, I'll edit this reply with all important notes.

Btw, can Slack's/Zenwalk's package manager be ported to Puppy? I'll try to get netpkg working :wink:

EDIT 1: got netpkg working, but it doesn't find packages, I'll try to fix netpkg for Puppy once I make the base spup :shock:

EDIT 2: I added Zenwalk's perl, wget and tar, netpkg still doesn't work. It loads the repos but doesn't seem to locate and download packages. netpkg supports both Zenwalk and Slack packages, and the Slack package management tools work on Puppy as far as I know.

EDIT 3: success! Got installpkg and removepkg from Zenwalk to work. It installs and removes packages correctly! I can code some frontend that downloads packages and runs installpkg and removepkg to install/uninstall. I'll try to do this when I find the time. Maybe. Oh, and it supports both Zenwalk and Slack packages, including tlz!
# installpkg
Usage: installpkg [options] <package_filename>

Installpkg is used to install a .t{gz,bz,lz,xz} package like this:
installpkg slackware-package-1.0.0-i486-1.tgz (or .tbz, .tlz, .txz)
Last edited by Iguleder on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 16:36, edited 3 times in total.

Jim1911

#13 Post by Jim1911 »

Iguleder wrote:I'm currently messing with upup, but once I'm done with it I'll make a spup too, I just need some base for my puplet. I'll make 2 spups with both 2.6.25.16 and 2.6.30.5, because nVidia drivers worked beautifully only with .25.16 under Puppy 4.3, I want to test this again with different packages to track down the source of the problem.
On pup 431, NIVIDIA-185-18.36-L2.6.30.5-1.pet works great with my Nividia Geforce 8400 GS 512MB card.
Jim

Iguleder

#14 Post by Iguleder »

Here's the pkgtools, converted from Zenwalk, just installpkg and removepkg, it needs tar <= 1.13. Needs testing.

To use it, download a Zenwalk/Slackware package, to install /root/lol.tgz, run installpkg /root/lol.tgz and uninstall it with removepkg.
Attachments
pkgtools-13.0-zenwalk.pet
(10.46 KiB) Downloaded 1507 times

plaguedogs

#15 Post by plaguedogs »

* spup-432a-k2.6.30.5.iso
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a064ff1 ... 6_30_5_iso
* spup_devx_432a-k2.6.30.5.sfs
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a064g15 ... 6_30_5_sfs

here is my alpha 1, kernel 2.6.30.5, everything is default, no scsi, no extra modules, no patches. i did swap the background images.

thanks tubby for finding valide-20090321.pet for me. its in the build.

the one thing i did change was edit line 126 in Packages-puppy-woof-official to use rox_filer-2.6.1-21-p4.pet. it is on ibiblio.

Iguleder, i love the zenpup idea, im into it. nice work on pkgtools, i haven't had a chance to try it yet, but i will tonight when i get some terminal time.

on another note, i got my virtualbox kernel module built using the sfs from here http://www.puppylinux.com/sources/kernel-2.6.30.5/
that was my big issue with my first iso.

c403b472d90df45a235e13cfea5f5228 checksum for the iso
0d58b111643d90d661b73eec94fddb7e checksum for the devx

tonight ill apply my patches for the broken text editors, xine, and gparted.
ill upload it as a xdelta.
im glad to see this thread is getting some activity

Iguleder

#16 Post by Iguleder »

I tried to make a stock spup too, but the download took > 4 hours so I had to cancel it, gotta go to sleep after a day of hard Puppy work :)

I'll be back to the spup building business tommorow morning, and I'll also see what can be done ...
- A wrapper for pupget and installpkg that detects the extension and runs the right application?
- A Zenwalk repo in PPM?
- Netpkg in Puppy?
- Puppy built from Zenwalk?
- A Zenwalk/Slackware packages to PET converter?
- Back to my C GTK+ studies, I started studying GTK+ with C for Puppy, tried to make several applications already and abandoned it, maybe it will be useful for spup.
- An idea I had, a console GUI library built in FreePascal, similar to ncurses, just a .so file, with full documentation and guidelines how to code for it in FreePascal (very easy language, so it's good to encourage people to code). That can be extremely useful for configuration dialogs like xorgwizard.

And of course, I'll try to make extensive use of spup to track down bugs, as many as possible.

Go go go go go spup! Gotta bring spup to some usable state before dpup reaches RC :twisted:

Iguleder

#17 Post by Iguleder »

I found out why the download took so long yesterday ... I used the upup Woof, it downloads a package and erases it, and does this once for each mirror, that's insane. Eventually you see an empty directory.

Use the Puppy 4.3.1 Woof :idea:

EDIT: I think it happens there too, Slackware 13.0 packages.

EDIT 2: made some silly fix that causes Woof to download each package 8 times ... :wink:

EDIT 3: fixed the ./1download script, disabled the checking for corrupt packages. I just changed the "slackware|arch) thingy to SUCCESS='yes', because Slack has its own package format, and Puppy cannot check for package corruption. Now it's downloading each packages once as it should.

plaguedogs

#18 Post by plaguedogs »

i tried to apply my old patches to my new iso. it started throwing "file to short" errors so im rebuilding my patch kit.
another thing i noticed was the package manager does not work in the latest build. it starts the gui but it will not download anything. there is only about 10 scripts that make up the package manager, they can be found in /usr/local/petget. some of the files are different sizes than in previous builds. so ill look into this later, for now i just replaced the whole directory with the one from one of my early builds, it made it work for today so good enough until i get some more time to investigate the new scripts.

its bedtime here and tomorrow is full of real life. ill be back at it tomorrow, after dinner.
ciao

Iguleder

#19 Post by Iguleder »

I've managed to make it extract .txz packages, still working on it. Slackware 13 support in Woof is coming soon :lol:

This fix is needed because Woof thinks that Slackware uses .tar.gz, because Slack 12.2 and below used .tgz (.tar.gz), but 13.0 uses .txz, which is .tar inside a .xz. The fix I made doesn't check the Slack version, it simple assumes it's a txz archive, because I don't think anyone will actually use Slack 12.2 packages with Woof.

There are 2 fixes:
- It kept downloading Slack packages and because it treated them as .tar.gz, it couldn't verify them (.xz format, duh), it assumed they're corrupt .tar.gz archives and deleted them, so after ./1download you had no Slack packages, they all were "corrupt". I applied a fix that disables the integrity check.
- I replaced .tar.gz extraction with .xz extraction, then .tar extraction, read above.

It needs the Zenwalk xz package, though. The archive includes the ./1download and ./2download, fixed, and the xz directory with xz files inside, copy them to / to make it work. It's just the Zenwalk package extracted.

The files come from the Puppy 4.3.1 Woof, so put them on top of it to use them.

I'm in the ./2createpackages stage, it shows some error once in a while but it seems that it actually extracts the packages.

EDIT 1: it takes ages and kills my dual core CPU, LZMA ... grrrr. And it works so far.

EDIT 2: all extraction worked, but ./3builddistro doesn't work because it cannot chroot, something is missing, I'm doing a dependency check.

plaguedogs

#20 Post by plaguedogs »

how far does ./3builddistro go before it fails? is it after the "cut down selection of modules" part? then it tries to test chroot, or is it failing right away? just curious.

-edit
dont forget to have your devx loaded, it has the strip command.