Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Dec 2014, 00:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x
slackware puplet, back to the drawing board
Moderators: BarryK, Lobster
Page 1 of 3 [44 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
plaguedogs

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct 2009, 07:47    Post subject:  slackware puplet, back to the drawing board  

-edit

see the new thread here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49195

md5: 127c82b933181bcffeea015142312499
here is my fixed spup. i changed the pup to pdp so there is no confusion between the real spups and my edited version. pdp=plague dogs puplet

-edit
new stock spup iso,
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a064ff1/n/spup-432a-k2_6_30_5_iso
devx
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a064g15/n/spup_devx_432a-k2_6_30_5_sfs

c403b472d90df45a235e13cfea5f5228 checksum for the iso
0d58b111643d90d661b73eec94fddb7e checksum for the devx

kernel sources http://www.puppylinux.com/sources/kernel-2.6.30.5/

this was built with the latest woof, 20091024B. kernel 2.6.30.5. no scsi, no extra modules, nothing. i changed the backgrounds to fit my taste, and i had to edit line 126 in Packages-puppy-woof-official to use rox_filer-2.6.1-21-p4.pet as opposed to ver 2.9.0-p4. as for the other missing pets, jwmconfig2, valide and you2pup have been located, processed, and are in the build.
happy testing slackers.

Last edited by plaguedogs on Mon 30 Nov 2009, 03:05; edited 5 times in total
raffy

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct 2009, 09:31    Post subject: join  

You can join any of these ongoing efforts to speed up your progress:

Kernel compiling for the XO:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47337&start=30

Slaxer pup:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41298

Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct 2009, 12:48    Post subject:  

I'm into spup myself, too.

I think we should arrange some group to develop a spup - just choose one leader, upload his buggy ISO and share it between all members to start bug-hunting. I offer my skills.

I think gposil's development model fits: we need a "476", a default spup built with all defaults, then we can start fixing every Puppy-Slackware incompatibility and make a "482", a stable 4.3.1-like Puppy built from Slackware 13 packages. After that, we can replace applications and mess with dependencies.
ICQ Number 
raffy

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2009, 14:53    Post subject: woof  

There is now updated woof for getting started:
http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01179

plaguedogs

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2009, 23:40    Post subject:  

i agree that we need some sort of strategy, i also really like the idea of building from current slack packages. i think over in the slaxer forum, big bass has the latest pkgtool running and i think its installing .txz's from slack 13. ill have to read through the thread again. i had pkgtool installed on my spup but it wasn't dealing with the txz's. i think the only difference between tgz and txz is lzma compression. my "normal" distro is zenwalk(slack based xfce), it has its own pkg format calld tlz, its just a tgz with lzma. so when slackware changed in ver 13, zenwalk had no problem with the new format, a guy just had to upgrade his pkgtools and all was well. we were all installing packages from slackware current the same day.

yeah we need a leader too. im no leader, im just a welder. i dont have the skills, or the time to administrate a project of this scale.

tonight i will get the latest woof and build a stock spup. i think that most of my fixes from my first iso will still be relevant so instaed of editing the root fs during the ./3builddistro, maybe ill upload the fixes as a seprate tar or something. what do you think?

my last build had a 2.6.29.6 kernel because i cant get any sound out of the 2.6.30.5 builds. im running a dell inspiron 1525 notebook and i have the same issue with the offical 4.3, dpup and the spups i built with the 30.5 kernel. unfortunately my collection of outdated desktops are in alberta, about 1500km from here (here being victoria bc canada).

im off to start my new build, wish me luck.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2009, 00:15    Post subject:  

Spup on the wiki now
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Spup

Iguleder

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2009, 02:01    Post subject:  

I'm currently messing with upup, but once I'm done with it I'll make a spup too, I just need some base for my puplet. I'll make 2 spups with both 2.6.25.16 and 2.6.30.5, because nVidia drivers worked beautifully only with .25.16 under Puppy 4.3, I want to test this again with different packages to track down the source of the problem.

And by the way, I tried to make Woof work with Zenwalk and failed, I'll try again. Zenwalk uses a repos format similar to Slackware's ... a quick start.

I think it might be a good idea to share bugs and fixes in this topic.
ICQ Number 
plaguedogs

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2009, 03:13    Post subject:  

Quote:
I tried to make Woof work with Zenwalk and failed, I'll try again.
lguleder

the first few woofs worked with other distros, providing you had the sfs4 dependency met. all the recent woofs need a puppy 4.3 or better. its mentioned in the readme. it is nice to know there is another zenwalker among us.

in my first iso, spdp-296. i edited the rootfs in sandbox3 during the ./3builddistro script. i replaced the following with their slackware 12.2 equivalents.

abiword 2.6.6 -upgrade from 2.6.3
geany 0.17
leafpad 0.8.16
xine-libs 1.1.15
parted 1.8.8

i did it all by hand and it took a long time. i also added some stuff to meet their dependencies.

cxxlibs 6.0.9
device mapper 1.02.28
gucharmap 1.10.0
svgalib 1.9.25

epdfview was also broke. i cheated and did a

ln -s libpoppler-glib.so.3.0.0 libpoppler-glib.so.4

it worked so i left it.

i tried a few different methods of implementing my fixes. i tried editing the package list, i tried pulling the packages out of the /packages-spup dir. in the end it seemed like less work to do it by hand in the rootfs-complete dir. the only downfall i could see was that the list in /root/.packages is incorrect. it still lists the old versions of the fixed packages.

i was pretty proud of it when i posted it on file share. i had lots of slack packages installed and working. then after having problems while compiling vbox kernel modules, winecfg crashing, and some strange behaviour from xfce, i edited my first post to reflect my failure.

check this out, i installed xfce from slackware, it worked awesome. then i tried to drop out to a console, and i was left blind. xfce closed, my screen went black. i typed startxfce4 and my window manager came back. i repeated this 3 or 4 times, i switched from xfce to jwm (all in a blacked out console, or "blind" if you will). if i remember correctly when i dropped out of jwm i had my console back, displaying text like it should. is that not bizarre?

the link is still there, at the very top of this thread.
right now im about half way through ./2createpackages. give me a couple hours and ill have the new one built. im going to build one with the newest 2.6.30.5 kernel, option 7. and ill build a "retro" 2.6.29.6 for my self, or anyone who wants it.

see you in a bit.
plaguedogs

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2009, 04:26    Post subject:  

during my ./2createpackages i ran into this,

jwmconfig2-20091009.pet not found
it suggests to find it, put it in packages-pet, & build it.
it can be found here http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-woof/

-edit
these are also missing
rox_filer-2.9.0-p4.pet - might have to use an older version
valide-20090321.pet -i cant find this anywhere
you2pup-1.3-2.pet - this ones on http://espejos.ucr.ac.cr/puppylinux/pet_packages-woof/

i have found a few pets with "uj" in the title, like valide-194-uj.pet & rox_filer-2.6.1-18-uj.pet. whats this stand for? ubuntu juanty?
that will never do, ill figure something out.

this is more or less a post to me, from me.

-edit
ok its very late now and i will get the iso up tomorrow...

but i ran a grep -i -r on my woof dir looking for something to hack, i found
valide-20090321 is in the packages-puppy-woof-official file, line 153
valide-194-uj is on line 154, the packages are the same size. what do i do here? i think im just going to leave that one alone.

as for rox filer, im afraid that has to go back to version 2.6 something.

until tomorrow
Iguleder

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2009, 09:19    Post subject:  

I'll try to examine the Slackware package tables again today and see if Zenwalk works as I expect. If it does, I'll try to make Woof Zenwalk modifications and a zpup Wink

Thanks for the info about spup, I'll try to make a Slack-13 spup today if I find the time, I'll post the results here.
ICQ Number 
tubby

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2009, 10:11    Post subject:  

Try this Smile .
valide-20090321.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  valide-20090321.pet 
Filesize  612.5 KB 
Downloaded  908 Time(s) 
Iguleder

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2009, 11:24    Post subject:  

Finally got home and reinstalled 4.3.1 to start messing with spup... I'm in the ./1download stage, I'll edit this reply with all important notes.

Btw, can Slack's/Zenwalk's package manager be ported to Puppy? I'll try to get netpkg working Wink

EDIT 1: got netpkg working, but it doesn't find packages, I'll try to fix netpkg for Puppy once I make the base spup Shocked

EDIT 2: I added Zenwalk's perl, wget and tar, netpkg still doesn't work. It loads the repos but doesn't seem to locate and download packages. netpkg supports both Zenwalk and Slack packages, and the Slack package management tools work on Puppy as far as I know.

EDIT 3: success! Got installpkg and removepkg from Zenwalk to work. It installs and removes packages correctly! I can code some frontend that downloads packages and runs installpkg and removepkg to install/uninstall. I'll try to do this when I find the time. Maybe. Oh, and it supports both Zenwalk and Slack packages, including tlz!

Quote:
# installpkg
Usage: installpkg [options] <package_filename>

Installpkg is used to install a .t{gz,bz,lz,xz} package like this:
installpkg slackware-package-1.0.0-i486-1.tgz (or .tbz, .tlz, .txz)

Last edited by Iguleder on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 12:36; edited 3 times in total
ICQ Number 
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2009, 12:02    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
I'm currently messing with upup, but once I'm done with it I'll make a spup too, I just need some base for my puplet. I'll make 2 spups with both 2.6.25.16 and 2.6.30.5, because nVidia drivers worked beautifully only with .25.16 under Puppy 4.3, I want to test this again with different packages to track down the source of the problem.

On pup 431, NIVIDIA-185-18.36-L2.6.30.5-1.pet works great with my Nividia Geforce 8400 GS 512MB card.
Jim
Iguleder

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2009, 12:44    Post subject:  

Here's the pkgtools, converted from Zenwalk, just installpkg and removepkg, it needs tar <= 1.13. Needs testing.

To use it, download a Zenwalk/Slackware package, to install /root/lol.tgz, run installpkg /root/lol.tgz and uninstall it with removepkg.
pkgtools-13.0-zenwalk.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  pkgtools-13.0-zenwalk.pet 
Filesize  10.46 KB 
Downloaded  964 Time(s) 
ICQ Number 
plaguedogs

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2009, 16:13    Post subject:  

Page 1 of 3 [44 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x