Problem with tar (solved) (D'oh!)

Please post any bugs you have found
Sit Heel Speak

Problem with tar (solved) (D'oh!)

#1 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Not sure if this is a bug, or my own ignorance. Clues are welcome.

This problem manifests on Puppies 4.12, 4.21, and 4.30 (prebuilt .iso). Underlying filesystem is ext3.

I am trying to tar a 60M source directory, using

tar -c gcc-4.4.1-source-patched-SHS

The source code in this directory is good enough that gcc compiles cleanly from it, and the gcc created from it works OK.

After about two minutes, there is a brief burst of beeps from the internal speaker.

Another burst, at four minutes.

At five minutes, beeping becomes continuous, but beeping stops at the eight-minute point.

At the 13-minute point, the rxvt screen starts filling up with a repeated pattern and so I kill the process.

The pattern is

;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1

Attempting to tar the smaller (2M) directory freetype-2.3.11 starts producing the same pattern and then tar hangs.

Rudy Puppy 2.14 finishes the 60M tar without emitting any beeps, the END OF (FILE? ARCHIVE? I forget) message appears, and it returns to the command prompt, but then dumps a half-a-screenful of the same pattern, and there is no .tar archive created.

***edited: hmm, let me try Rudy again...I don't recall whether the ;2c1 pattern is dumped before, or after, the prompt returns. Will try it again and check back here in 20 minutes.***

Giving it

tar -c --ignore-command-errors gcc-4.4.1-source-patched-SHS

makes no difference.

Help?
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Mon 26 Oct 2009, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

technosaurus

#2 Post by technosaurus »

Code: Select all

which tar
should it not be?:

tar -c{y,z}f mytarball.tar.{b,g}z the_directory_I_want_to_tarballize

I think you just have to specify the tarball name? Different than all of the compression programs that simply add their suffix

the y and z are only if you want bzip or gzip compression respectively - they can be removed if you just want a tarball to do a diff against or whatever... if you have tar-1.22 or later and xz you can do a tar.xz by using 'J' instead of 'y' or 'z' .... not that you would want to but you can use 'Z' to just use compress

to untar

tar -x{j,J,y,z,Z} mytarball.tar.{bz2,xz,bz,gz,Z}

I am on a win32 machine right now so instead of relying on my memory maybe check me with:

Code: Select all

tar --help
Last edited by technosaurus on Mon 26 Oct 2009, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Sit Heel Speak

#3 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(ahem)...of course (thunks head) ...

I was thinking, one can just name the directory, and tar will create a .tar archive of the same name.

Now to see if I can get gftp to oblige me...