Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 Jul 2014, 07:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
FlSynclient - Advanced Touchpad Configuration Gui
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
jemimah

PostPosted: Tue 20 Oct 2009, 13:19    Post_subject:  FlSynclient - Advanced Touchpad Configuration Gui  

You can use this to adjust Synaptics touchpad driver options. I've fixed a bug that caused a segfault and added a few options such as Two Finger Scrolling and Drag Locking. This package adds a script to /root/Startup that loads your saved touchpad configuration each time you login.

It can be a bit difficult to get all the settings right so be patient with it.

You need to install both synclient and flsynclient for it to work.
flsynclient-.6.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  flsynclient-.6.pet 
Filesize  113.92 KB 
Downloaded  2191 Time(s) 
synclient-0.14.6.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  synclient-0.14.6.pet 
Filesize  5.89 KB 
Downloaded  2063 Time(s) 
flsynclient.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   38.3 KB
 Viewed   7178 Time(s)

flsynclient.jpg

jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct 2009, 23:14    Post_subject:  

I've posted a new version. I added a few more options and cleaned up the gui a bit.
jombo

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov 2009, 07:56    Post_subject: puppies-431.1  

# flsynclient
incorrect size of shared memory error. incompatible driver version?
this is running it while still booting cd. not sure if this matters or not.

also this is using puppies-431.1 that has firefox installed if that matters.
older dell 1150 laptop.
jemimah

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov 2009, 08:35    Post_subject:  

If you get that error it means either the synaptics driver is not loading or you're running a puplet that needs a different version of the synclient. Are you sure your touchpad is Synaptics (I think it is on Dells)? If you check /var/log/Xorg.0.log you can see if the driver is loading or not (and maybe what version it is). I think Puppies did not mess with Xorg, but I'm not 100% sure.
NinerSevenTango

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec 2009, 02:57    Post_subject: flSynclient Error in 4.3.1  

"Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?"

Well, I don't remember disabling it!

Heh.

Thanks,

--97T--

I installed Synclient first.
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2009, 19:01    Post_subject:  

Can you take a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and see if the Xorgwizard configured the Synaptics driver on your machine?

Also be sure you are using Xorg; the synclient doesn't work in Xvesa.
NinerSevenTango

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:39    Post_subject:  

Thanks for your reply!

Anyone ever tell you you're an angel?

Anyhow, it looks like Puppy's Xorg wizard auto-generated the following:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Mouse"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "LeftEdge" "120"
Option "RightEdge" "930"
Option "TopEdge" "120"
Option "BottomEdge" "650"
Option "FingerLow" "14"
Option "FingerHigh" "15"
Option "MaxTapTime" "220"
Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.3"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.75"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.030"
Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
Option "UpDownScrolling" "1"
Option "CircularScrolling" "1"
Option "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
EndSection

The mouse movement works, tapping doesn't, and neither does scrolling.

--97T--
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:59    Post_subject:  

Well that's odd, it's supposed to also contain this option.
Code:

Option "SHMConfig" "on"

You might be able to add it manually and get Flsynclient to work, but it will be overwritten any time you run xorgwizard. Editing the xorgwizard script may be the only way to fix it permenently.
NinerSevenTango

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan 2010, 15:13    Post_subject:  

I can't understand why that would be.

I don't think the change would last for too long for me on this machine.

The xorgwizard runs at boot sometimes, unbidden. A problem with my video hardware not really being supported, I think.

Thanks for answering me, though.
kevin-dell1100

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2010, 00:55    Post_subject: xvesa touchpad scrolling
Sub_title: xvesa touchpad scrolling

Jemimah, can't you or someone else knowledgeable in creating packages like this make it run for us xvesa users? I can't use xorg because it created problems for my dell inspiron 1100 laptop.

I want touchpad scrolling. I like it because it's very convenient to use for quick scanning on a website or document. I don't know why so many people don't like it.

Anyway, if any of you know of an xvesa gui for advanced touchpad diagnostics, or can just tell me how to use xvesa to make my touchpad scroll, I'd appreciate the forward! Thanks!
kevin-dell1100

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2010, 00:57    Post_subject: xvesa touchpad scrolling
Sub_title: xvesa touchpad scrolling

Jemimah, can't you or someone else knowledgeable in creating packages like this make it run for us xvesa users? I can't use xorg because it created problems for my dell inspiron 1100 laptop.

I want touchpad scrolling. I like it because it's very convenient to use for quick scanning on a website or document. I don't know why so many people don't like it.

Anyway, if any of you know of an xvesa gui for advanced touchpad diagnostics, or can just tell me how to use xvesa to make my touchpad scroll, I'd appreciate the forward! Thanks!
jemimah

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2010, 11:25    Post_subject:  

The limitation is with Xvesa, not Flsynclient. As far as I know there is no advanced touchpad driver for Xvesa.

I think your best bet is to try to fix Xorg. What kind of problems did you have?
kevin-dell1100

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2010, 12:24    Post_subject:  

You know, I don't quite recall what the specific problems with Xorg were, but I know that when I first installed Puppy and chose Xorg, it wouldn't load, and I think I was brought to a terminal prompt, in which I tried to edit Xorg.conf, but I couldn't do anything.

But then, maybe there was a different problem, and what I recall about that first boot after the installation isn't all clear.

I would say I'd like to try switching back to Xorg so I can see if it works or not and maybe replicate the problem from before, but I hate reinstalling stuff and having to go through manual editing of the files. I'm not very Linux-savvy. I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 and my first delve into Linux was the new Ubuntu 9.10, but that had weird issues apparently related to Xorg. And then 9.04 also had some problems, mainly with streaming video, which apparently involved Xorg as the culprit again. All versions of Ubuntu kept giving me problems, or if the OS worked, then it wouldn't work for something else (ie. wireless connection--I use a USB stick--or weird random problems).

I'm so incredibly happy that Puppy is working for me that I don't dare mess with anything, especially after that whole rigamarole, you know what I mean? Well, I suppose to be perfectly honest, I have to admit that the choppy video issue is still sorta there with Puppy, but it's not as bad as it was with the Ubuntus I tried, and I also figure that has a lot to do with my 256 RAM, which I don't want to upgrade so I should just stop complaining and be quiet! Smile

However... if I test out Xorg and can provide you with all of the details you need to help me troubleshoot, then maybe I'm willing to give it another go.
jemimah

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2010, 14:47    Post_subject:  

Can your laptop boot from USB? I do all my testing with usb frugal installs.
Or you can just boot from the CD, mess with Xorg, and don't save if it doesn't work. The good news is, most anything you screw up in Xorg won't affect Xvesa.
kevin-dell1100

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan 2010, 21:01    Post_subject:  

Jemimah, I tried booting off the CD and chose Xorg. It never seemed to work. I don't know which resolution to choose, but I chose a lot of them, and none of them worked. With some researching about Dell Inspiron 1100 and video problems with Linux, most people seemed to be using 1024x768x24 with slightly different vertical refresh rate than what I saw in the Xorg.conf file.

Oh, and yes, I tried changing the Xorg.conf file, but changing just the refresh rate didn't seem to help.

What exactly happens? Each time I tried a different resolution, and would test it, the test results would be blank at the top of that wizard window, and then if I chose "finished" it would bring me to a terminal whereby I would type "xwin" which would either try to load X but not work and would take me back to the prompt, or it would load a blank screen.

Any tips or suggestions? I know that some tweaking of Xorg.conf has been made to work for Dell Inspiron 1100s, but can I copy/paste the Xorg.conf file that, say, an Ubuntu user is using for their Dell Inspiron 1100 and use it for my Puppy?

Sorry if this topic is being muddled by my video issue. Would it be better to move this to another topic?
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum