Puppy 4.4 CE - Phase 1: pet tests

This is where threads concerning the development of the next version of Puppy live.
panzerpuppy

#181 Post by panzerpuppy »

Even more tasty dog food:

AbiWord 2.8 is out and brings notable changes and improvements:

Among the highlights for AbiWord 2.8 include annotation / comment support, support for smart quotes, multi-page document viewing, true SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) support, improved support for OpenDocument Format and Office Open XML file formats, a new printing framework, and much more.

Max Headroom

Does SeaMonkey 2.0 FINAL have X - Marks ( Formerly Foxmarks

#182 Post by Max Headroom »

if Not Leave it Out! in Favor o' Opera!

:P

Jim1911

#183 Post by Jim1911 »

Please consider updating the remaster script to provide an option to select a directory or a CD for the files to copy. The present script results in a lot of extra coasters. I prefer to create an iso and check it out thoroughly before burning it to CD.

This feature is in Dougal's upgrade of Barry's original pupremaster. Dougal's pupremaster.sh still works fine from a directory, however there must be a zdrv_xxx.sfs in the directory and many derivatives don't need one. Also, the resulting iso has to have some minor edits for it to work with the latest derivatives because of some syntax changes.

Thanks,
Jim

shinobar

remasterpup2

#184 Post by shinobar »

Jim1911 wrote:Please consider updating the remaster script to provide an option to select a directory or a CD for the files to copy.
i do agree.

attatched /usr/sbin/remasterpup2 extracted from 4.3.1JP-RC2(Japanese Edition, but I18N'ed).
it has a small change from the original, reads .iso file if it is mounted before starting this program.

works on Puppy 4.3x.
Attachments
remasterpup2.gz
replace /usr/sbin/remasterpup2 on Puppy 4.3x.
(9.77 KiB) Downloaded 1140 times

ICPUG

#185 Post by ICPUG »

All you guys raving about Xorg 7.5.

Isn't this the one that does away with the xorg configuration file? If so, I want to be sure we all know how to do manual reconfiguration before we jump in with that - Probably break a few wizard scripts as well because of this.

Max Headroom

ReMasterPup2

#186 Post by Max Headroom »

Question How Does this Differ / Compare w/ Barrys Original ReMaster Vs Dougals ReMaster Vs pa_mcclamrocks ReMax eXpress? Just Curious! :)

Jim1911

Re: ReMasterPup2

#187 Post by Jim1911 »

Max Headroom wrote:Question How Does this Differ / Compare w/ Barrys Original ReMaster Vs Dougals ReMaster Vs pa_mcclamrocks ReMax eXpress? Just Curious! :)
Of these three, I prefer Dougals, however due to naming changes in later distributions, the resulting iso has to be edited before it can be used. Also you must have a zdrv_XXX.sfs even when it's not needed, otherwise your directory will not be recognized.

The other two don't allow using a directory from which to copy the files which can result in burning a lot of unnecessary CDs.

Jim

Max Headroom

Thanx Jim1911 4 Replying...

#188 Post by Max Headroom »

Can We Please have a Simple ( 4 1d10ts Table ) Comparing Barrys Vs Dougals Vs ReMax Vs ReMasterPup2... Please... Thanx!
:)

shinobar

remaster program comparison

#189 Post by shinobar »

I think ReMax in v4.2.1 can read directory without CD.
I don't know where is Dougals, but from Jims statement,
my thought:
version: without CD?/with zdrv?/without zdrv?

Barrys on 4.3.1: No/No/Yes
Dougals (where?): Yes/Yes/No
ReMax on 4.2.1: Yes/No/Yes
4.3.1JP: Yes/Yes/Yes

Jim1911

#190 Post by Jim1911 »

@shinobar I think ReMax in v4.2.1 can read directory without CD.

Not unless, pa_mcclamrock changed his mind, because I specifically addressed this with him during development and he would not include that feature, just suggested that I use R/W CDs. After my request was refused, I never looked at it again.

Jim

hondasid

#191 Post by hondasid »

Being able to remaster without a CD would be a HUGE plus. I rarely actually burn copies of the ISO's i download. I usually just rip them apart and make save files for them. Being able to remaster without CD's would be a great feature. Just my 2 cents.

technosaurus

#192 Post by technosaurus »

ROX from latest SVN (basically 2.10 + better localization for espanol and other minor fixes)

Please test and note any regressions

I am preparing to upload this to the Google Code Repo, but wanted to first apologize to pizzasgood that it still has Barry's pinstall.sh scripts from 2.9 because I am not sure how to fix it for multiuser without breaking it for the woof build system. Then again I am not set on using woof if Pizzasgood's build system will work better for Puppy only stuff (no debian, slack, arch....)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Pizzasgood

#193 Post by Pizzasgood »

Actually, that should work fine with how I did things. Instead of figuring out how to make packages that install to /root be friendly to multiuser, I just set up the createpuppy script so that after all the packages have been installed and the pinstall.sh scripts have been run, it copies /root to /etc/skel and then does some processing on it.

That doesn't help when the user installs a package that wants to modify /root. But on the other hand, packages likely to be installed by the users probably shouldn't be touching /root (or ~/) in the first place. (It's tolerable for some of the core stuff that Puppy comes with, since we want to ensure the user has a nice desktop already set up. Though maybe it would be better to separate that part from the actual package or something. Not sure. Haven't thought much about that. A lot of this stuff starts getting subjective.)

If at some point root wants to update /etc to match /root, he can use the populate_skel script I wrote.

I have not used Woof yet (beyond dabbling one weekend last spring) so I can't make any real comments on whether we should use it or not. But I figure it's probably a better option than Unleashed, if for no other reason than because it's more up to date and is being actively maintained by Barry himself. It also sounds like a more flexible system.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

technosaurus

#194 Post by technosaurus »

I made a pet of dia diagram editor and compiled with NLS support but stripped the locales and rebuilt all of the large localized files using sed. After stripping the mostly redundant CISCO shapes it is down to about 1MB. I can make those stripped parts available too if anyone is interested.

P.s. I named it diat (for dia tiny) Feel free to strip it down further by removing the /usr/share/dia/sheets and corresponding /usr/share/dia/shapes
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Proudog

#195 Post by Proudog »

technosaurus wrote:ROX from latest SVN (basically 2.10 + better localization for espanol and other minor fixes)

Please test and note any regressions
The legend "running as user 'root'" can be changed at source C file (main.c):

Code: Select all

tooltips = gtk_tooltips_new();

if (euid == 0 || show_user)
		show_user_message = g_strdup_printf(_("Running as user '%s'"), 
						    user_name(euid));

/*DIFF with the last*/

tooltips = gtk_tooltips_new();

if (euid == 0 || show_user)
		show_user_message = g_strdup_printf(_("Puppy Rocks!"), 
						    user_name(euid));
It' a joke, maybe "Puppy Linux 4.4CE"

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#196 Post by Lobster »

I named it diat (for dia tiny)
:)

Works fine - prefer it with the shapes and sheets :)

Any news/plans on a 4.4 Alpha?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

8-bit

#197 Post by 8-bit »

Lobster wrote:
Any news/plans on a 4.4 Alpha?
I have to agree there. When will we see a 4.4 Alpha?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#198 Post by Lobster »

technosaurus wrote:Rounding up the bugs and package updates to make an overdue alpha... I hope I didn't miss too much
Brad (technosaurus) has been poorly
but is now back on course - see above

I sent him some healing energy via my friends the astral dolphins :)
Hopefully that does not make him unwell . . . :wink:

Wish him well, send prayers, kind thoughts etc
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

technosaurus

#199 Post by technosaurus »

I am putting together the bugfixes
http://code.google.com/p/puppy-development/issues/list
there are quite a few outstanding that could use fixing

I got too aggressive with optimizations for abiword and will need to recompile it so that it will open an external browser (required for several plugins)

I think there was a request to compile gtk against xinput ... not sure if Barry's version of 2.18.3 is or not so I may compile 2.18.4

This build may be slightly larger to test some alternative programs ... pwireless2, ten extra calculators (j/k), some different games see below (I am growing weary of testers saying "it doesn't even have solitaire?" - not sure if ttuuxxx's flash solitaire pet is gpl so I built Ace of Penguins with some Debian patches)

I am working 12 hour days these days transitioning to a new job and catching up from being out sick for 2 weeks so it will be this weekend .
Attachments
Ace_of_Penguins-1.2-i486.pet
(131.58 KiB) Downloaded 992 times
xdiamonds.gz
(26.43 KiB) Downloaded 944 times

01micko

#200 Post by 01micko »

techno

I thought I would bring this to your attention

Code: Select all

if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "jwm" -a "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm" ];then
 [ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ] && fbpanel &
 [ -f /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && lxpanel &
fi
That is from "~/,xinitrc". Sometimes (usually) Icewm is started with "icewm-session". If fbpanel and lxpanel are present and the output of "cat /etc/windowmanager" was "icewm-session", wouldn't there be some sort of catastrophic consequence? I haven't tried it, so don't know, just suspect.

Cheers

EDIT: musher0 has what seems a nice fix in the Dpup thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 286#368286
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access