Wbar: a fancy launchbar (using Imlib2)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
swiatmar

#141 Post by swiatmar »

hihihi:)

Thank you CatDude again :) I don't know why but I have some really strange problem with my puppy. By the way this problem with gimp is still there. so I gave up and installed the package version of gimp 2.4.0rc3- and this one works fine:)

I've also got wbar to work :)
I think usually beginner problems :)

But thanks a lot for the support- Puppy has the best community- and Puppy really rocks :)
By the way have an other problem with xfce- somehow I'm missing some of my menu icons- is it possible to editing t somehow?

CatDude

#142 Post by CatDude »

Hello swiatmar
swiatmar wrote:Thank you CatDude again :)
You're very welcome mate.
swiatmar wrote:By the way have an other problem with xfce- somehow I'm missing some of my menu icons- is it possible to editing t somehow?
More than likely i would think.
What icons are missing ?
What Puppy version are we talking about now ? :lol:

It would probably be best to start a new thread concerning this issue,
rather than trying to do it in this thread, it is a different subject after all.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

chris

#143 Post by chris »

First things first - thanks to everyone who had contributed to this long running thread. I've got wbar running quite nicely and that's a testament to your community spirit.

Of course it is my nature to never quite be satisfied :oops: so I'd like to tweak wbar a little bit more. To do that I need some help.

1. I'd like to have a wbar icon that opens up the jwm menu or something similar. So instead of having to use the jwm pane; menu button of right click the desltop, I can press a wbar icon. Any ideas how this could be done?

2. I've got wbar at the top (offset = 0) so I can push the mouse to the top of the screen and still activate wbar icons. But it would be really cool is I could get the icon text to display above the icon rather than below. Anyone reckon this is possible?

3. Perhaps not a wbar issue but I'll ask anyway - Can I change a setting somewhere so that when I maximize a window it does not fill the screen from top to bottom. Specifically I want it not to cover part or all of the wbar icons.

health and happiness to you all

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#144 Post by Béèm »

I did read this nice long thread, but I didn't get wbar running in 4.3.1
I get:

Code: Select all

# wbar -above-desk
Using /root/.wbar config file.
Using a Super Bar.
/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/usbpendrive48.png -> Couldn't load icon image.
# 
Where can this png be found?
Will there be other missing items?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

trapster

#145 Post by trapster »

In 4.31 it's:
/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/usbdrv48.png
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#146 Post by Béèm »

Thank you Trapster.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pri

xfce wbar from xfce panel

#147 Post by pri »

i need wbar that can autohide, so my desktop willbe clean. iwas trying wbar from, but i think its too much memory used for it. i just need a simple wbar.

so i used xfce panel as wbar, its was not complicated and easy to use.
add a launcher is easy

i was download from debian package.
the problem is, i cannot change the backround. if the backround modified with transparent, mybe will be look good
Attachments
xfce4-panel as wbar.png
(125.13 KiB) Downloaded 1366 times
Learning by Doing

swiatmar

#148 Post by swiatmar »

you can make the background transparent in xfce if you go to the panel click on it and set properties as transparent :)
by the way wbar is really small and does not use much memory at all

swiatmar

#149 Post by swiatmar »

you can make the background transparent in xfce if you go to the panel click on it and set properties as transparent :)
by the way wbar is really small and does not use much memory at all

sorry double post ups :(

HiDeHo

#150 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi i am following this. http://puppylinux.org/wikka/WbarInstall

i am working with 520 and 525 atm

1. in the section edit 2 it gives an example of the file /etc/xdg/templates/_root_jwmrc

but it looks totally different to the default one i have.

where do i put the edit in it.

2 also with the wbar i have used in lighthouse pup it has a wbar icon pointing to wbar config application. is there a way to run this with this version of wbar.

loubapache

#151 Post by loubapache »

HI, I need some help with wbar in puppy.

I use wbar in other Linux distros (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, SalineOS) and it works fine. In these distros, you download wbar, configure it, and then add a little script to the startup scripts.

I just downloaded the wbar pet in Puppy 5.2.8. It automatically launch wbar at the top of the screen. Since I want it to be at the right side of the screen, I have changed the places that I can found to .vbar -pos=right, etc. However, it still launches at the top. Since the wbar configurator in puppy does not give the right position so I just did it manually.

So I made my own script and put it in /root. Now when puppy starts, I get two wbart: one on the top (the default one) and another on the right (the one I made and wanted).

How can I get rid of the default one?

Now I have to killall wbar and then re-start my own script (/root/wstart).

Thanks,

maik.murks

#152 Post by maik.murks »

Hi loubapache.

Just go to the directory /root/Startup and delete the script that starts your default wbar.
In case that there is no starting script for wbar, take a look into the file /root/.xinitrc - near the end of .xinitrc there should be something found which starts wbar. Just comment this line or these lines out.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Cheers :wink:

Maik.Murks

darkcity

#153 Post by darkcity »

loubapache

#154 Post by loubapache »

Thank you, maik.murks and darkcity. I'll have a look and deactivate the default one.

Edit:

Well, I found out why.

1) Wbar was not started by my /root/.xinitrc.
2) Before I edit the wstart script in /root/Startup, I backed it up to some different name (wstart.original) but the backup was still in /root/Startup. After I made the changes to wstart, wstart.original was also executed at startup so that is whay I got two wbars.

Now I have deleted both scripts and just added a line in /root/.xinitrc to start wbar.

Thanks again.

sarum

Wbar

#155 Post by sarum »

On a previous computer I installed Wbar and by going to menu/desktop/desktop settings I could scroll down to 'wbar config'(or settings); and alter everything - almost.
I've now another computer; Ram520/160HDD puppy528 Full install with 1GB of SWAP.
I've installed wbar and via 'open in text' I changed a couple of things; but as an old, long term newby I'd really like to get back to where I was.

I think I may be wrong in posting this as a reply. It's a long thread and I've searched it.
May be there is someone who can help.
Thanks...sarum

`f00

#156 Post by `f00 »

@sarum - see your dupe here in the Eye Candy section

@loubapache
I still prefer wbar's startup in (where else?) /root/Startup. Tip: to neutralize a script, untick the executable flags on its property page (it doesn't execute once you untick those flags).

Since I use many wms, I use a bit more complex script which has other elements (like a preferred bgsetter with bg and a matching conky) and a few customizations for wbar as needed for each wm (for example, e16 and a few others need the -above-desktop option). If windows persistently start 'under' wbar, try the -above-desktop option

Know your options - "wbar -h" in a console gives most of 'em, can't recall if it gives details on fine points like -filter (type by number) and hex-with-alpha as I use in the -fc option

Here's my usual for an example

nilsonmorales

#157 Post by nilsonmorales »

`f00

#158 Post by `f00 »

Sometimes wbar 'grabs' the mouse pointer focus and doesn't let go.

Usually this happens just after you get into the X desktop .. you load an app from wbar and even after moving the mouse pointer off wbar and into the apps window or elsewhere, the focus somehow remains tied to wbar .. left clicks just load more apps! This is easy to see on a filtered wbar or how the icons 'jump' even when the pointer is far away from wbar's location.

Solution (don't Panic ;) ) - rightclick on wbar and it refreshes, settling things to normal as far as pointer focus goes.

___addenda 120913___(short story)

I've been using wbar 133 for a few years anyhow. Was not terribly impressed with add-ons, control panels and such for various reasons - heck, once you get an options line that you're happy with there's only very minor tweaks needed for just about any circumstance. A gui control panel just gets in the way and can be..

Rambling on. For one particular wm (treewm), I needed the -offset option since wbar was a bit 'under' a bar at the top. No biggie, but still.. Anyhow, my old reliable didn't have that option. Should I try an upgrade for such a minor thing? Did try and all the 2xx series I tried failed for whatever reason (gtk probs/issues, dependencies for the silly wbar-config gui, who knows?). Bad deal when wbar gets finicky :( really :(

Wait a minute. Hold on. Backpedal to Catdude's patched 133 on pg 7 of this thread - it's all you really need and it's compatible with just about any pup. I pulled the binary out of the dotpet, made a quick transplant and WHAM good to go, thanks 'Dude! :D

(btw/fwiw, I'm still oki with Imlib2-140 - it's simpler) geez, a few dl's of those dotpets :lol: