cthisbear

#241 Post by cthisbear »

" well it should work like that by default, you shouldn't
have to manually kill it with pprocess, or reopen it a second time
to kill it, "

Totally agree..........Chris.

richard.a

#242 Post by richard.a »

ttuuxxx wrote: - Why xchat and not the complete yahoo and msn and irc etc that we have in 4.1.2? Xchat is good but there are Seamonkey add ons that will do irc and are smaller . . . I believe?
Hi Lobster we wnt with X-Chat because Ayttm was buggy, When you changed your nick name while in chat,' /nick Lobster' you would get as nick
Lobster www.sdfasradfsdrtwersdfasd.com Wrote: <---- this isn't what I change my nick name too.
Also the GUI was hard to work. Also I had it crash a few times in Chat.

Now Xchat
Well I managed to make it 684.23 KB pet in size (pidgin in the repo is 1.6MB pet) and an older xchat in the Repo was 677pet without the following listed below :wink:

Also I included the #puppylinux to automatically load when executing it, This is a first for Xchat packages, even the repo one didn't do that.
Next i change the font sizes because the default ones were too small.
So now you click chat and it works out of the box and straight to the help.
ttuuxxx
Just a point, folks.

You won't get die-hard IRCers happy in using a combo IM client for IRC purposes, although Gaim/pidgin is fine for newbie and occasional chatters. Really.

XChat - even a smaller earlier version - would be acceptable.

IRC is actually a good location in which to promote PuppyLinux, mainly because of the ability to slide in a CD and reboot. To then tell them they have to download and install a chat client to demo the platform is really unlikely to win hearts.

We might remember that Ubuntu - which probably has the highest base of IRC users apart from MS Windows - provides a poorman's version of XChat which depending on which Ubuntu version/repo is being used, may or may not be easily upgraded to a real XChat client.

Currently many serious Windows and Linux IRC-ers are trying and using KVIRC, and finding that operator scripts are more easily written for it than for XChat.

Just an observation, having been on IRC since about 1997.

Writing this on the first puppy install (or live CD) that would work on my Toshiba Satellite T1800 laptop, the JWM ver 4.12 - and I also have the MacPup 4.11F on another partition. I can thoroughly recommend both for this particular laptop.

Off topic, I cannot get the EzPup v4 to do anything on 4.12 (2 diff downloads, from two different locations) apart from saying it is installed. Ver 3 will almost work.

Keep up the good work guys,

Richard in cold Adelaide
(for 3 days between mid 40s Celsius)
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

Q5sys

#243 Post by Q5sys »

Currently many serious Windows and Linux IRC-ers are trying and using KVIRC, and finding that operator scripts are more easily written for it than for XChat.
Ive been using Kvirc for a while and have been hanging out in their IRC channel. Good group of guys. I'm running into the problem of getting it to run on puppy. Perhaps it requires someone with a bit more puppy skill than I. But ive been fighting trying to compile their latest SVN build for over a week now. I can never manage to get it to work with SSL.
I prefer kvirc over xchat for tons of reasons... but trouble with getting kvirc installed is keeping me on Fc11 for my normal OS. :(