Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 18 Aug 2019, 05:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Open challenge: Fix wi-fi WPA (with wpa_supplicant?)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Mon 02 Nov 2009, 13:37    Post subject:  

Looking through the 4.3.1 bugs threads; it appears you may be the
only one with the problem with 3945abg.

A little Google search shows that it's more common on the other
Linux distros that you list as being problem free.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

jemimah

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2009, 21:04    Post subject:  

Have you tried this?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47838 It has a newer and more complete version of wpa_supplicant.
maddmike

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 00:26    Post subject: I also have this problem  

I also have had lots of trouble with WPA and an Intel 3945 laptop. It worked for a while at home only with Puppy 4.0, but could never connect anywhere else. Since I upgraded to 4.1 and beyond (now running 4.2.1), it's been pretty flaky. The problems are much worse if I use a hidden SSID on my network.

Watching the output from wpa_supplicant with the -dd option for verbose debugging, it seems like network scanning usually doesn't find anything. Sometimes if I let wpa_supplicant run for a long time (10 minutes or more), it will eventually connect. Driving it through network wizard never works. These behaviors don't change using the newer wpa_supplicant in the wpa_gui post, or using the latest wpa_supplicant version 0.6.9 which I downloaded and compiled.

Googling around, it seems like there's a known problem with the iwl3945 driver and hardware scanning. Lots of people using other linux distributions recommend adding

Code:
options iwl3945 disable_hw_scan=1

to /etc/modprobe.conf. But my modprobe.conf doesn't have anything for iwl3945, only ipw3945. lsmod reports that iwl3945 is what's actually running, though. So I'm not clear on how to specify this option for iwl3945.

Bottom line for me is that wpa wireless is a pain with the iwl3945 driver. [it works perfectly with Windows, including hidden SSIDs.] I can usually get a connection (only with a broadcast SSID) by manually starting wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd a couple of times.

There are also a lot of WPA threads in these forums, but I haven't found any that clearly explains what's required to make it work.
Timmi

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 01:15    Post subject: Re: I also have this problem  

maddmike wrote:
I also have had lots of trouble with WPA and an Intel 3945 laptop.
Googling around, it seems like there's a known problem with the iwl3945 driver and hardware scanning. Lots of people using other linux distributions recommend adding

Code:
to /etc/modprobe.conf.
But my modprobe.conf doesn't have anything for iwl3945, only ipw3945. lsmod reports that iwl3945 is what's actually running, though. So I'm not clear on how to specify this option for iwl3945.

Regarding your "options" line, and "iwl" vs. "ipw", would it cause problems if you added a second line, specifying the option switch for each one? Perhaps the one that it doesn't find it for will probably just be ignored?
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 02:13    Post subject:  

This looks interesting:

http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2009-January/019021.html

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Timmi

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 03:26    Post subject:  

rjbrewer wrote:
This looks interesting: http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2009-January/019021.html

Instead of slowing down the connect, you can use the "-w" (wait) switch with wpa_supplicant. (see the links I posted earlier)
tempestuous

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 08:15    Post subject:  

It should be explained, at the outset, that Puppy's Network Wizard utilises wpa_supplicant for WPA wifi configuration. I'm the person who contributed the version of wpa_supplicant which is currently used in Puppy Linux (it was compiled with special patches for older Ralink support).

It's no surprise to me that the Puppy Network Wizard fails to accommodate each and every wifi hardware combination.
When the Network Wizard was originally rewritten to include wifi support 2 or 3 years ago by forum member rarsa, I mentioned to rarsa the potential folly of trying to create a "one-size-fits-all" wifi configuration tool, in spite of his commendable achievement.

This failing is not the fault of Linux in general, and not the fault of Puppy Linux. Windows XP in 2005, for example, totally failed to recognise, much less configure, my D-Link DWL122 USB wifi adaptor. Only with add-on drivers from D-Link, and only with an add-on configuration tool from D-Link would the device work.

It's especially no surprise that Intel wifi adaptors are problematic under Linux. Intel wifi Linux drivers are bloated, and heavy on CPU utilisation.
I'm sympathetic that the wifi gui configuration tools don't work for you, but on a positive note I suggest that you read the "How to configure wifi from the commandline" thread, "PART 2: WPA encryption."
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=159336#159336
Once you determine the exact series of commands which work for your device, you can run a customised script to connect for you, on-demand.

My post about Centrino wifi devices not being "integrated" related very specifically to the popular perception that wifi devices are physically incorporated within products branded "Centrino", which is 100% incorrect.

Intel wifi chipsets may, indeed, be optimised to operate with Intel mainboard chipsets, but they remain physically separate devices. And many owners of these Intel wifi devices have had happy results under Linux by throwing them out and replacing them with non-Intel units.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 08:34    Post subject:  

maddmike wrote:
Code:

to /etc/modprobe.conf. But my modprobe.conf doesn't have anything for iwl3945

That's no problem. Puppy is automatically loading the iwl3945 driver for you.
Go ahead and add the "options ..." line to modprobe.conf. Puppy will reference it when loading the iwl3945 driver.

maddmike wrote:
But my modprobe.conf doesn't have anything for iwl3945, only ipw3945

Assuming you're running 4.2.1, not 4.2.1-retro, delete the "ipw3945" line. It's erroneous.
Timmi

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 13:16    Post subject: Side Note on the topic of Centrino
Subject description: This is a side note on my earlier comment so we can get back on topic.

tempestuous wrote:
My post about Centrino wifi devices not being "integrated" related very specifically to the popular perception that wifi devices are physically incorporated within products branded "Centrino", which is 100% incorrect. Intel wifi chipsets may, indeed, be optimised to operate with Intel mainboard chipsets, but they remain physically separate devices.

When the first reply came to my post, I realized that "integrated" was a bad choice of words, and I was trying to move forward without recanting everyting. I was in the hardware industry when Centrino was introduced, and got presentations on it directly from intel representatives. What I should have said, was that Centrino designated a SET of 3 parts, one of which is the networking component that conforms to certain criteria and power management capabilities (maybe that's why the driver is too CPU intensive, but that's another debate - we're trying to get a Puppy that works out of the box, right?).
And yes, you could, of course, happily substitute the networking interface with another, but then it is no longer called "Centrino". Yes, you are talking about a working setup with a different wifi card, but you can't call it Centrino anymore. This is what I was trying to convey: that if it IS called Centrino, you know what is in there, that it's probably the most common of intel's wifi chips... and you see the Centrino label quite often... suggesting that such a chipset using that driver is very prevalent in the marketplace. I have a laptop, and cannot change the integrated wifi, as is the case of many other users. It is because of it's market share, that I felt that this thread would be beneficial.

Last edited by Timmi on Wed 04 Nov 2009, 13:23; edited 1 time in total
Timmi

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 13:17    Post subject:  

could you please delete this one post. when I went to "edit" (NOT "quote"), it created a duplicate post instead of replacing the existing one... and I don't see a "delete" button anywhere.
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: