Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 02:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
pup-431.sfs not found
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 7 [103 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Jim1911

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 00:27    Post subject:  

You're very wise to run from a live CD before committing to an installation to make sure it works on your hardware.

You may have another defective CD or possibly you need a different kernel for your computer. Are all the correct files as indicated earlier present?

Try a retro version of 4.2.1 or another retro version that you could try is dpup-477beta1 which, although in beta, is more up-to-date and is very fast and stable. See http://www.dpup.org/downloads.html to download.

Try burning your CD at a slower speed.

Don't get discouraged, there are numerous puppy derivatives available that should work on your hardware. Once, you find the right one, you'll be amazed at the speed and added capability your pup will provide your hardware.

Jim
T_Hobbit

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 08:14    Post subject:  

vek wrote:
T_Hobbit,

I tried your suggestion all the way to Step 4 but I am still getting the same message: pup-431.sfs not found...dropping out to initial-ramdisk console
/bin/sh: can't access tty;job control turned off.

To all others,

I burned a new ISO image of the Puppy Linux Live CD but I am getting exactly the same message.

Please help. Thanks everybody...I will wait for more suggestions.

Rename the files to the correct names and in lowercase, like told you in another post of this thread. It should work after.
DON'T FORGET TO WRITE IT RIGHT: pup-431.sfs AND NOT pup_431.sfs

MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 08:19    Post subject:  

Hello Smile!

1) Just a thought, I'm no expert at hardware, though, could it be that the CD-drive in question needs special drivers to be included in initrd.gz?

2) Another (long-shot): In 214X, we had problems with running out of inodes in initrd.gz, when having many partitions, causing the same symptoms, dropping out to command line in initial ramdisk.
Once you're dropped out there, could you run mount, df, and df -i and relay the output therefrom?

fwiw Smile/
MHHP

Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
Nämen, vaf.... ln -s /dev/null MHHP
T_Hobbit

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 08:25    Post subject:  

This problem with the file name's happens when the ISO is burned at Windows, it doesn't handle right the file names. It happened to me also.

Go to your HD puppy directory and rename the files to the correct names and in lowercase, like told in another post of this thread. It should work after.
NOTE: DON'T FORGET TO WRITE IT RIGHT: pup-431.sfs AND NOT pup_431.sfs! (not screaming - just to call your attention to this point)

frefel

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 16:11    Post subject:  

Vek;

Did you see my 2 posts in this thread? Why don't you think you are having the same problem as I?

My TP T22 is also a Pent. 3 model and I am getting the same message on boot-up from the 4.3 live CD. You will see, based on my efforts, that the problem is apparently the newer kernel in the 4.3 version being incompatible with our older processor. Bummer, but I'm going to try the Retro version as suggested by T Hobbit.

Interestingly the Puppy update description mentions that the new kernel is designed to work with newer chips but that it will still function with the older ones - we say not true.
vek

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 19:38    Post subject:  

T_Hobbit,

Yes, I did rename and lower-cased the file names before I followed your suggested procedure (all 4 steps) but I got the same exact error message.

frefel,

I will try your suggestion and will let you know if it works on my old IBM Thinkpad. BTW, I tried it on an old Dell desktop (Pentium III, 128 MB RAM) running Windows ME today and it worked! It must be an IBM thing then.

Thanks everybody...I will keep trying.
T_Hobbit

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 20:22    Post subject:  

Old kernel... according to my signature... I'm using it!
Yes, I did had the some problem... solved with the old kernel I supposed...

frefel

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 21:41    Post subject:  

Woops, I see that there is no Retro version of 4.3.1 on the download site and since thr regular 4.2.1 works on my Thinkpad I guess I'll stay with it or try the DPup as suggested by Jim1911
vek

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 22:47    Post subject:  

frefel,

I tried the puppy 4.2.1 retro and it works in my IBM Thinkpad!

I will be trying out Puppy Linux before finally installing it and I am loving it already.

Thank you, everybody.
warrenweiss

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 00:11    Post subject: Re: pup-431.sfs  

I first noticed the error

pup-431.sfs not found

a week or so ago when I spun up Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and again tonight when I tried to boot Browserlinux 3.5.4. The *.sfs file in the iso is misnamed with an underscore instead of a dash.

The fix is to extract the iso to a directory, correct the mistake and remake the iso. ...or, you could just wait for Puppy 4.3.2. Very Happy
warrenweiss

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 01:37    Post subject: Re: pup-431.sfs  

You know, forget my last post. I guess I don't know what I thought I know about ISO formats...especially when burning CDs and DVDs on Windows boxes.

I had been using DeepBurner without any trouble until now. On a whim, I used MagicISO this time and successfully burned the ISO.
frefel

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 02:10    Post subject:  

That is fascintating Warrenweiss but is not my problem in that I ran the 4.3.1 cd on my desktop and it loaded without a hitch. There is something about Vek's and my Thinkpads. Could it just be the fact that they are Pent 3 machines? If that were the case you'd think that there would have been a lot of posts like this thread.

So far I've tried 4.3, 4.31, BrowserPup and dPup retro - none will load. What else could it be besides the newer kernel since I 4.2.1 loads fine?
warrenweiss

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 03:31    Post subject: Re: pup-431.sfs  

frefel wrote:

Quote:
That is fascintating Warrenweiss but is not my problem in that I ran the 4.3.1 cd on my desktop and it loaded without a hitch. There is something about Vek's and my Thinkpads. Could it just be the fact that they are Pent 3 machines?

No, I don't think it's because they're PIIIs. I've done some more testing and I think it could be because of how the drivers - or perhaps which drivers - are loaded by Puppy upon boot.

I am booting on a machine with a removable hard drive. Both the HDD and the DVD drive are connected to the single IDE interface on the board, master and "cable select," respectively. With the HDD removed, it boots fine. With it inserted, I get the "pup-431.sfs not found" error.

I'll bet your desktop boots because the HDD and CD/DVD are on separate interfaces, but not so with the Thinkpads. Try removing the HDD from the laptop and boot off the Puppy CD.
T_Hobbit

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 04:28    Post subject:  

Try boot with "puppy acpi=off" or "puppy pci=noacpi" your current 4.3.1 version

or try the Retro 4.3.1 version's
Retro
or
Retro with no Intel modem drivers

mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 06:16    Post subject:  

Newer kernels don't like older ide devices.....be they hard drives or cd/dvd drives.
One machine yesterday saw the dvd drive but could not mount a disc and did not create a device node (creating one did not help).
So basically in linux land if your older hardware is still running but you want the latest kernel then the answer is erm 'tough'.....(slaxer kernel is kinder )
By the way the puppy 2.6.21.7 kernel saw everything just fine

mike
Page 2 of 7 [103 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: