installing Vector Linux 5 STD RC1 under VirtualPC

Using applications, configuring, problems
papaschtroumpf

installing Vector Linux 5 STD RC1 under VirtualPC

#1 Post by papaschtroumpf »

Rather than install VectorLinux on a new partition, I decided to install it on my windows machine (more hardrive space) under VirtualPC.

I had to make a few tweaks to get it working, so I figured I'd share them to save some trial and error to anyone wanting to do the same:

- create a new virtual machine with a 3G virtual HD, which should be plenty for VL5, an entire 1G partition for puppy play, and 512M of swap.

- first off the VL5STD install script didn't like seeing an unformatted and unpartionned HD (invalid ID 0x00000 or something like that). I couldn't figure out how to solve it in VL so I mounted the puppy image, booted into puppy and ran fdisk there to create my partitions

- then I attached the VL5STD CD, booted from it and the install ran fine (but keep reading)

- VirtualPC emulates sb16 sound, it's not autodetected so you need to probe for it (ignore the warning about it being unsafe)

- after my first try at installing, the system would hang at the "starting hotplug" stage of the boot, so I disabled hotplug (didn't install the package, and passed nohotplug as one of the optional LILO arguments)

- DO NOT set up X during the original install, it just caused the install to hang. Instead skip over it and setup to boot in the text interface (we'll fix that below)

- after you have finished the install, run "vasm", the Vector Linux configuration utility. Choose advanced vasm (enter root password) and set up X. During the X setup the virtual PC screen turned a greenish color making it hard to read, but still allowed me to finish the install.

- while in vasm you might as well choose your windows manager

- exit vasm and do not start X yet, it gave me a garbage looking screen at that point. To fix it edit /etc/X11/xorg.cong and replace the line that says:
Driver "s3"
with
Driver "vesa"

- now you should be able to type "startx" and be in business

I wasn't familiar with Vector Linux, but it's a nice clean simple distribution. Too bad in doesn't come on a liveCD :D
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

That information is now stored and can be updated and improved here:

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/Compiling

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D