pup-431.sfs not found

Booting, installing, newbie
vek

#21 Post by vek »

T_Hobbit,

Yes, I did rename and lower-cased the file names before I followed your suggested procedure (all 4 steps) but I got the same exact error message.

frefel,

I will try your suggestion and will let you know if it works on my old IBM Thinkpad. BTW, I tried it on an old Dell desktop (Pentium III, 128 MB RAM) running Windows ME today and it worked! It must be an IBM thing then.

Thanks everybody...I will keep trying.

T_Hobbit

#22 Post by T_Hobbit »

Old kernel... according to my signature... I'm using it!
Yes, I did had the some problem... solved with the old kernel I supposed...
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

frefel

#23 Post by frefel »

Woops, I see that there is no Retro version of 4.3.1 on the download site and since thr regular 4.2.1 works on my Thinkpad I guess I'll stay with it or try the DPup as suggested by Jim1911

vek

#24 Post by vek »

frefel,

I tried the puppy 4.2.1 retro and it works in my IBM Thinkpad!

I will be trying out Puppy Linux before finally installing it and I am loving it already.

Thank you, everybody.

warrenweiss

Re: pup-431.sfs

#25 Post by warrenweiss »

I first noticed the error

pup-431.sfs not found

a week or so ago when I spun up Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and again tonight when I tried to boot Browserlinux 3.5.4. The *.sfs file in the iso is misnamed with an underscore instead of a dash.

The fix is to extract the iso to a directory, correct the mistake and remake the iso. ...or, you could just wait for Puppy 4.3.2. :D

warrenweiss

#26 Post by warrenweiss »

You know, forget my last post. I guess I don't know what I thought I know about ISO formats...especially when burning CDs and DVDs on Windows boxes.

I had been using DeepBurner without any trouble until now. On a whim, I used MagicISO this time and successfully burned the ISO.

frefel

#27 Post by frefel »

That is fascintating Warrenweiss but is not my problem in that I ran the 4.3.1 cd on my desktop and it loaded without a hitch. There is something about Vek's and my Thinkpads. Could it just be the fact that they are Pent 3 machines? If that were the case you'd think that there would have been a lot of posts like this thread.

So far I've tried 4.3, 4.31, BrowserPup and dPup retro - none will load. What else could it be besides the newer kernel since I 4.2.1 loads fine?

warrenweiss

#28 Post by warrenweiss »

frefel wrote:
That is fascintating Warrenweiss but is not my problem in that I ran the 4.3.1 cd on my desktop and it loaded without a hitch. There is something about Vek's and my Thinkpads. Could it just be the fact that they are Pent 3 machines?
No, I don't think it's because they're PIIIs. I've done some more testing and I think it could be because of how the drivers - or perhaps which drivers - are loaded by Puppy upon boot.

I am booting on a machine with a removable hard drive. Both the HDD and the DVD drive are connected to the single IDE interface on the board, master and "cable select," respectively. With the HDD removed, it boots fine. With it inserted, I get the "pup-431.sfs not found" error.

I'll bet your desktop boots because the HDD and CD/DVD are on separate interfaces, but not so with the Thinkpads. Try removing the HDD from the laptop and boot off the Puppy CD.

T_Hobbit

#29 Post by T_Hobbit »

Try boot with "puppy acpi=off" or "puppy pci=noacpi" your current 4.3.1 version

or try the Retro 4.3.1 version's
Retro
or
Retro with no Intel modem drivers
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

mikeb

#30 Post by mikeb »

Newer kernels don't like older ide devices.....be they hard drives or cd/dvd drives.
One machine yesterday saw the dvd drive but could not mount a disc and did not create a device node (creating one did not help).
So basically in linux land if your older hardware is still running but you want the latest kernel then the answer is erm 'tough'.....(slaxer kernel is kinder )
By the way the puppy 2.6.21.7 kernel saw everything just fine

mike

rjbrewer

Re: pup-431.sfs not found

#31 Post by rjbrewer »

vek wrote:My IBM Thinkpad :
Pentium III 933 MHZ
129,968 KB RAM
MS Windows 2000 SP3

I recently bought a Puppy Linux live CD from LinuxCd.org but when I try to run the live CD, I get this error message: "pup-431.sfs not found...dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...#.

Please help...I am a complete newbie to Linux.

Thank you.
Tried 4.1.2 and 4.3.1 on a T21, 256mb ram: both work, no problem.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

frefel

#32 Post by frefel »

rjbrewer - then what is happening to me I wonder? And I have 512 of RAM and a slightly newer model than yours.

mikeeb - then what about rjbrewer's comment (above)?

T_Hobbit - I can't get to the boot options. The first and last thing on the screen says "GRUB loading, error, file not found, grub rescue", (flashing cursor).

warrenweiss - The Thinkpad won't even get to a BIOS screen without the HD in place and says so in big red letters.

SOLVED! for my case at least; I have a neighbor with an identical machine and 4.3.1 loads fine on his. Something wrong with my laptop. Thanks to everbody for the advice.

T_Hobbit

#33 Post by T_Hobbit »

I'm not near my Puppy machine. All I can say is that you need to edit your grub.conf file and add the correct parameters.

Search the forum on how to edit grub.
T_Hobbit

NorwichDouble

Thinkpad 600e pup-431.sfs not found

#34 Post by NorwichDouble »

I am a complete newbie. I have at last got Puppy 431 to work on a pair of Thinkpad 600e's (2645 8A0), with original BIOS INET24/25 from 1999. Memory about 97MB. They both have Belkin 7010 wireless lan PC cards fitted (Broadcom 4306 [14e4:4320](rev03), so fairly old and needing b43 driver, i think.

In the bios, I have, as recommended, turned off Fast Boot.

Put the Puppy 4.3.1 live cd in the drive, and switch on. When the screen offering boot options appears, press F2. At the prompt, type puppy acpi=force then press Return.

When the main Puppy screen appears - do not start doing anything. Particularly do not touch ALSA.

Go to menu -shutdown. (This is the essential part.) OK your way out, alowing Puppy to save various files to the hard disk. You may have to switch off manually at the end.

Now slide the start button and hopefully Puppy will load ok.
To get sound, left click on the loudspeaker Ikon an the bottom, and slide the slider up to max. Then rt click the ikon again to pull up a volume control screen. Slide the two sliders on the left (MASTER, PCM) up to the top. Oh, and on your keyboard, hold down Fn and press PgUp until loud bleeps are heard. That completes the sound, except to say that trying to use ALSA sound wizard makes my machine crash.

Wireless: Click on the Telephone ikon, labelled CONNECT. The Internet connection wizard appears. If you are lucky, it will say:
Available network interfaces: wlan0.
If so, follow the instructions and you will soon be surfing.
I have tried to put in all the details that a newbie like me would need.
(This system will not work if you have already got Puppy files on the hard drive. I went into MSDOS and deleted all three puppy files before starting to give myself a clean beginning.)
By the way, I had tried DSL and Ubuntu before Puppy, and I couldn't get the sound to work at all with them.

rokytnji

pup-431.sfs not found

#35 Post by rokytnji »

Ibm A22, PIII 1000 mhz, 256 mb of ram, 712 mb primary swap partition, 20 gig hardrive.

Has full install of Puppy 4 Dingo on 20 gig hardrive with Belkin F5D7010 ver.6 Wireless G PCMCIA Cardbus with Raylink chipset running RT61 driver. Wlano and Etho both work fine. Kernel version 2.6.21.7.

I should probably leave Dingo alone but i thought I would experiment and try a upgrade to 4.31 with the 2.6.30.5 Kernel. I know I could try a older Kernel Version of a Newer Puppy version. But if it aint broke. I aint gonna fix it. Experiment over.

Md5sum correct. CD burnt at 4X speed. Boots fine till "cant find sfs" and drops to root #. To double check CD I am posting now from it running Live on my IBM M57 Desktop. Booted up fine on it.

Desktop is newer gear than the A22 Thinkpad so I figure it is a kernel issue. Problem is not with name of sfs file on Cd because I checked name in Ubuntu 8.04 (Desktop install) . Besides, boots up OK on other gear.

So Dingo will be left alone and I will archive the CD for other uses. Especially after reading the problems associated with upgrading to 4.31 in the 4.31 bug reports thread. Just thought I'd toss this out here for info purposes.

I don't run Windows, Only Linux.

vtpup

#36 Post by vtpup »

I've had this experience too and I think I can clarify a few things that can be confusing.

For older Thinkpads you need the 2.6.21.7 kernel retro.

There are other (later) kernels that people are calling "retro" now so there's lots of confusion.

There are three 4.3.1 kernel versions. Two are called "retro". The oldest is the 2.6.21.7 that you need.

There is no dpup 2.6.21.7 kernel retro (to my knowledge) the "retro"
version there is actually a later kernel. Gposil, however says that once the latest dpup is finalized, an older 2.6.21.7 version will be made available.

The probable reason, in my opinion, that the earlier kernel works is that somewhere along the line in booting, drive designations become sda types (even for non serial drives) rather than hda types. The boot process seems to get confused by this switch on older machines. Therefore it can't find the puppy main file, even though it is present.

In a frugal install this can be seen if you inadvertently use the "hda" nomenclature in a newer kernel puppy's menu.lst. You will get the same "can't find" message on attempting to boot. However if you change this to sda, it will boot,

On the other hand kernel versions 2.6.21.7 and earlier need the "hda" designation in menu.lst.

To the OP and others having difficulty booting 4.3.1 liveCD and its "retro" versions on older Thinkpads, please try this version:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... modems.iso

You will also find that the 4.1.2 retro version of Puppy works, because it, too was based on 2.6.21.7.

phew.....

ps. To add a little more spice to the confusion, sometimes you can get a hand-made frugal installed later kernel version to work, even though you couldn't get its LiveCD to boot. The same thing applies here. If you use the sda drive designation in the Grub menu.list, it may boot fine, even though the liveCD didn't work.
Last edited by vtpup on Thu 12 Nov 2009, 03:04, edited 2 times in total.

themagni

#37 Post by themagni »

I've got a ThinkPad 600 running Puppy 4.3.1. The newer kernel does not run on the ancient hardware, so you have to go into the "special puppies" directory and choose the 2.6.21.7 kernel.

You cannot choose a more recent version (e.g. 25.16) because it simply will not load. You can try, but you're going to be wasting bandwidth, time, and a CD. This isn't a Puppy issue -- it's the linux kernel. At some point, they have to stop supporting hardware that by all rights should have failed long ago. If a single-core P4 is out-of-date, think about what that says about a P2 366 with 64M of RAM. (The most recent 4.3.1 puppy boots perfectly on any of my (relatively) newer machines with no hitch.)

It's not a Windows / Joliet extension issue; all ISOs I worked with were burned on a Linux machine. (I have XP, but it's sitting on a shelf.)

Nevertheless, the retro version with that 2.6.21.7 kernel works great on the ThinkPad, and it breathes a lot of new life into the old clunker. I've tried a lot of lighter distros in the last few weeks, and puppy has them all beat, hands-down. (Debian's install gives you time to go out and wax your car, by hand, in a different city, after pushing your car all the way there.)

PCMCIA wireless, on the other hand, isn't working out...yet.

vtpup

#38 Post by vtpup »

themagni wrote:This isn't a Puppy issue -- it's the linux kernel. At some point, they have to stop supporting hardware that by all rights should have failed long ago. If a single-core P4 is out-of-date, think about what that says about a P2 366 with 64M of RAM. (The most recent 4.3.1 puppy boots perfectly on any of my (relatively) newer machines with no hitch.)........

Nevertheless, the retro version with that 2.6.21.7 kernel works great on the ThinkPad, and it breathes a lot of new life into the old clunker....... PCMCIA wireless, on the other hand, isn't working out...yet.
re. kernels There's some disagreement about whether it is a Puppy or Linux issue (see other threads.) The fact that sometimes people have reported they can make an install work, but not the LiveCD would tend to support a transition problem in the LiveCD -- I think it may be a drive nomenclature problem somewhere along the boot process line (see my post above).

re. cardbus network cards and the 600e -- all the cards I've tried worked right off the bat in 4.3.1-- 2.6.21.7. Much better than in all previous Puppies. There is now a pause to let the network card warm up that has made my Ralink card 100 percent reliable, when before it would work 50% of the time. Basically never when I was in a hurry.

themagni

#39 Post by themagni »

vtpup wrote:
themagni wrote:
Nevertheless, the retro version with that 2.6.21.7 kernel works great on the ThinkPad, and it breathes a lot of new life into the old clunker....... PCMCIA wireless, on the other hand, isn't working out...yet.

re. cardbus network cards and the 600e -- all the cards I've tried worked right off the bat in 4.3.1-- 2.6.21.7. Much better than in all previous Puppies. There is now a pause to let the network card warm up that has made my Ralink card 100 percent reliable, when before it would work 50% of the time. Basically never when I was in a hurry.

That's the version I'm using, but I still don't have wireless working.

vtpup

#40 Post by vtpup »

themagni wrote: That's the version I'm using, but I still don't have wireless working.
You do now. Back to the original thread topic, I hope that the OP and others who have been having the "not found" problem will not give up. Please try the 2.6.21.7 version of puppy 4.3.1 and let us know if this worked for you. Others may find this thread and will want to know if there is a solution. If it doesn't work, then it ought to be raised further as an issue to resolve.