Stardict 3.0.1

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
auriza

Stardict 3.0.1

#1 Post by auriza »

Stardict is a cross-platform and international dictionary written in GTK2.
It has powerful features such as glob-style pattern matching, scan selection word, fuzzy query, etc.
http://stardict.sourceforge.net

How to add dictionary on Stardict
1. Install Stardict .pet first.
2. Download some dictionary from http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php
3. Extract to /usr/share/stardict/dic.
- There should be three files: .dict.dz, .idx, and .ifo.
4. Run Stardict, Menu - Document - Stardict

Compiled on: Puppy 4.3.1, kernel 2.6.30.5

Update:
- added an example dictionary file
- remove locales
- remove unused plugins
- disable netdict by default

Download Mirror:
stardict-3.0.1-i486.pet [350kB]
stardict_longman-2.4.2.pet [6.2MB]

MD5sum:
6d3b4be3056b4113e131af9cf8296aac - stardict-3.0.1-i486.pet
4ae37bfcbcd0d92f3552d9b79dfcb724 - stardict_longman-2.4.2.pet
Attachments
stardict-window.png
(45.26 KiB) Downloaded 2982 times
Last edited by auriza on Sun 31 Jan 2010, 07:51, edited 4 times in total.

otropogo

Re: Stardict 3.0.1 for Puppy4

#2 Post by otropogo »

auriza wrote:Stardict is a cross-platform and international dictionary written in GTK2.
It has powerful features such as glob-style pattern matching, scan selection word, fuzzy query, etc.

I've used Stardict in the past, but not for over a year, and I don't remember the specifics.. How does it differ from pbdict or pb2dict?

I gather Stardict can be used to translate words from one language to another, how about phrases?

Most importantly, is it possible to add vocabulary to a Stardict dictionary, correct or enhance existing definitions, or add specialized glossaries at once?

PS: just tried to download the pet and got a pop-up from the host site saying Mediafire doesn't support my browser (Seamonkey 1.1.18 ), and to either use another browser or lower my security settings, after which some sort of animated ad played...

I then tried with Opera 9.64 and Firedog 1.2, and got exactly the same result. Do you know what browser it wants me to use and/or what security settings it requires?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

auriza

#3 Post by auriza »

It has scan selection word ability, for me it is helpful when I read an e-book. I just select the word and the translation is popped up. I don't have an internet connection at home, so any online dictionary is useless for me.
Image: scan selection word

About phrases, maybe through an online service like Google since it have option for online dictionary service.
http://opencomputer.net/2008/02/19/open ... -stardict/

I don't know much about adding vocabulary to Stardict, but I remember there's instruction inside the source code about how to make your own dictionary.

I'm sorry for the link, I've uploaded it to my website.
Last edited by auriza on Tue 19 Jan 2010, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

otropogo

#4 Post by otropogo »

auriza wrote:It has scan selection word ability, for me it is helpful when I read an e-book. I just select the word and the translation is popped up. I don't have an internet connection at home, so any online dictionary is useless for me.
Thanks for the explanation and links.

I do use Google Translate to translate web pages online. There's also an alternative from reverso.net, but it's not clear whether it will translate whole pages for the user. I know some websites use it to do this.

But with either one, I often need a dictionary as well.
I'm sorry for the link, I've uploaded it to my website.
http://auriza.site40.net/pet/stardict-3.0.1-i486.pet
Thanks. Have downloaded it now. Is there a checksum (md5sum) for it?

Have looked at and downloaded a dozen or so dictionaries from Stardict/sourceforge. But I must say they look extremely feeble. A lot of them claim only 15,000 words or so.

The largest French-English dictionaries I could find claim less than 45,000 words each way. Compare this to a small Sharp PW-605 French-English pocket electronic dictionary I bought recently for $70, which claims "355,000 words, phrases, and translations" (admittedly a rather slippery measure).

And the imbalances are striking. For example, freedict.de has an English to Portuguese dictioanary file that's 3.4MB, while the Portuguese to English one is 167K!

auriza

MD5 added

#5 Post by auriza »

MD5 sum is added to the main post.
I agree with you, most of foreign language dictionaries don't have sufficient vocabulary. But, the English dictionary is great.

otropogo

Re: MD5 added

#6 Post by otropogo »

auriza wrote:MD5 sum is added to the main post.
I agree with you, most of foreign language dictionaries don't have sufficient vocabulary. But, the English dictionary is great.
Thanks. Will give it a try. One of the puzzling things is the number of Chinese dictionaries.

And I'm especially baffled by the biggest English-French, French-English dictionary, that carries the text "I love French French-English Dictionary" in (simplified) Chinese characters in the online description and in pinyin in the file names.

I'd better make sure I have a current backup of my 2fs file...

otropogo

#7 Post by otropogo »

Have now installed Stardict, and downloaded and installed the Russian "DAL" dictionary, which lacking any other specifications, appeared most promising in the repository at a file size of 8MB.

The results have been dismal however, both for Stardict and for the DAL dictionary.

After installing both, I went online to find some Russian text to enter, since I don't have cyrillic input capability. I went to wordhord.com, with Stardict active on the taskbar, and highlighted one word of text to copy and paste into the Stardict query window.

But before I could even open the Stardict window, The desktop was swamped by an endless succession of identical Google search failure messages indicating that numerous searches for:

"man A*A^[etc]site.linux.die.net"

had been requested.

Google promptly locked out my IP address for making "automated enquries", but the search failure messages kept arriving on my desktop for some minutes even after I killed Seamonkey (it was impossible to close it).

So I'm frankly quite nervous about using Stardict again while online. I use my gmail account quite a lot, and don't want to risk being banned permanently from Google.

After closing Stardict. I went back to Wordhord.com, saved the home page, copied the word I wanted to try, disconnected from the net, and started Stardict again.

I pasted the word into the translate window, and got the letter "a" in the left sidebar, and a lot of Russian text in the main window, none of which had any bearing on my test word. I searched for some way to get to the Russian letter for "s", but without luck. I did notice that there were indications all over the gui that Stardict was designed for online use. For instance, a drop down menu invites the user to go to either Google, Yahoo, Alta Vista or Excite Japan for translation.

Another option is to "enable Net dict', a third is to access a web dictionary.

Unable to get a translation for my test word, I went to "manage dictionaries" and looked at the entry for the only one installed "slovarj dal". And noted that it's shown as having a word count of 43642, a rather tiny number for a dictionary whose zipped size is 8.4MB!

I then tried to explore this DAL dictionary further while offline, and found that I could display a list of words starting with "a" , but only 30 words at a time in full screen mode. To see the next 30, I had to put the cursor on the bottom word and then click on the down arrow in the sidebar.

While I was carrying out this futile exercise, mainly to see if the "b"s were actually in there somewhere, the default browser started showing up in the Puppy taskbar with a sequence of "problem loading page messages". Evidently, Stardict was trying to go online. I had to close some fifty instances of Firedog.

So - no glowing reports on Stardict from this puppy. But maybe someone else has figured out how to avoid all these problems, and maybe even how to actually use this Russian Dal dictionary?

ljfr

Net Dcit

#8 Post by ljfr »

Hi,
You can try to go in preferences (bottom right icon), Network, Net Dict and uncheck the box "Enable network dictionaries",
regards

otropogo

Re: Net Dcit

#9 Post by otropogo »

ljfr wrote:Hi,
You can try to go in preferences (bottom right icon), Network, Net Dict and uncheck the box "Enable network dictionaries",
regards
Ok. That prevents it from going online, I think. But I still can't figure out how to use Startdict off line..

I've installed the Chinese-English dictionary, and it showed the same alphabetical list of words, starting with "a" in the left sidebar. Then I discovered by accident (since there's no offline help, despite the "help" button), that you have to enter text in the search field in roman letters, then the sidebar displays a list beginning with that letter.

At least, that's what happens in the "Chinese-English" dictionary, making it in fact, only an English-Chinese dictionary, since you can't look up Chinese words with it.

Unfortunately, the same trick doesn't work in the Russian "DAL" dictionary. It's still stuck in the "a"s, unless, presumably, you persist in scrolling through the entire word list 30 words at a time to get to the desired section of the alphabet...

It doesn't accept input in English, nor in Russian. So I have no idea how it could work.

vovchik

#10 Post by vovchik »

Dear puppians,

I have had stardict (2.4.8) running on my main computer for a long time and have various dictionaries and encyclopedias installed (including Cyrillic ones). I have no problem with net or local access. Nor do I have problems with Cyrillic input. Something must be misconfigured in your installations.

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. I recently put the latest version on my NC10 but have not yet set it up. I will report back once I have done so.

otropogo

#11 Post by otropogo »

vovchik wrote:...Something must be misconfigured in your installations.

vovchik
I feel better already...

So, do you use the Dal dictionary? And if so, how does it function? When I copy and paste a word in cyrillic in the translate field, I get a word list starting with the word "a". Does the dictionary work differently when you use it?

Please tell me what dictionaries you've used successfully with Stardict, and I'll try them myself. Maybe I just picked the one bad apple.

vovchik

#12 Post by vovchik »

Dear otropogo,

I set up stardict (new version) on the Samsung NC10 and it works fine, like my older version on my desktop. The Dal dictionary works - with Cyrillic input - as evidenced in the attached screenshot. I went in to manage dictionaries and disabled the Chinese ones and left all of mine intact (Ukr, Rus, Pol, Eng, etc.), and they all work.

Try doing that. You also have to unpack the Dal dictionary in /usr/share/stardict/dic for the stardict application to see it.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
stardict.jpg
(72.19 KiB) Downloaded 2098 times

otropogo

#13 Post by otropogo »

vovchik wrote:Dear otropogo,

I set up stardict (new version) on the Samsung NC10 and it works fine, like my older version on my desktop. The Dal dictionary works - with Cyrillic input - as evidenced in the attached screenshot. I went in to manage dictionaries and disabled the Chinese ones and left all of mine intact (Ukr, Rus, Pol, Eng, etc.), and they all work.

Try doing that. You also have to unpack the Dal dictionary in /usr/share/stardict/dic for the stardict application to see it.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Hello vovchik,

Thanks for your interest.

While I appreciate your effort to help. It doesn't get me any further. I HAVE the DAL dictionary unpacked in the path you list above, just as described in the skimpy installation blurb. If I didn't it obviously wouldn't appear when I open Stardict.

I'm happy to hear that the dictionary works for you, but this doesn't make it work for me. I'm searching for an explanation, and the only one I can come up with is that Stardict/DAL will not respond to cyrillic text copied by Seamonkey from an online web page and pasted into the translation window. Unfortunately, as I tried to communicate in my previous post, this is the ONLY means I have at present for entering cyrillic text into that field, as I don't have any tool for generating such text in my installation of Puppy 4.3.

If you're interested enough to help me further to resolve this issue, there are two things I would suggest:

1. go to wordhord.com (as I did) highlight and copy a word of cyrillic text from the page, paste it into the translation window of Stardict/DAL, and tell me whether an appropriate enter pops up or you get the same "a" page I was stuck on.

2. tell me how I can (easily, since I'm not a coder or an experienced command line user) install a means of inputting cyrillic test from my US keyboard. This would allow me to test your method of word entry

PS. I cannot test further right now, as I am currently running Seamonkey 2.0 under TinyCore (from the new Ultilex 5.0.0 Live CD), and don't even have cyrillic character display available to me. But I can assure you that I have tried and tested the suggestions you offered above previously)

vovchik

#14 Post by vovchik »

Dear otropogo,

Sorry to hear that it doesn't work for you. I followed your method - opened Seamonkey, took the first Cyrillic word ("

otropogo

#15 Post by otropogo »

[quote="vovchik"]...
I followed your method - opened Seamonkey, took the first Cyrillic word ("

auriza

#16 Post by auriza »

Uploaded new revised package and an example dictionary. See first post.

boxR

#17 Post by boxR »

What about Stardict now? It seems to be given up and the project has been removed from SourceForge.
stardict.sourceforge.net

What are you using then?