pup-431.sfs not found

Booting, installing, newbie
vtpup

#61 Post by vtpup »

Can he do a full install if he can't run from CD? I guess it depends on the drives and partitioning he already has... or maybe boot something else to do the preliminary partitioning. Maybe SystemRescueCD....if that one will boot?

rjbrewer

#62 Post by rjbrewer »

He said that 4.21 booted and he is "using it now";

Am I missing something?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

vtpup

#63 Post by vtpup »

no rj, I just didn't know if you could do a full install from a frugal. I've never done a Puppy full install. By booting, I took it to mean booting from manually installed HD frugal, not CD, which I assume still can't be booted from. I thought there might be problems in partitioning etc from the working drive.

rjbrewer

#64 Post by rjbrewer »

vtpup wrote:Can he do a full install if he can't run from CD? I guess it depends on the drives and partitioning he already has... or maybe boot something else to do the preliminary partitioning. Maybe SystemRescueCD....if that one will boot?
Yes; full installs can be done from a frugal: but he needs the ability
to create partitions (as you said). I assumed he got a cd to boot, but his explanation of "installing the sfs files to the root of the hard drive"
leaves me perplexed.

Full installs

vtpup

#65 Post by vtpup »

rjbrewer wrote: Yes; full installs can be done from a frugal: but he needs the ability
to create partitions (as you said). I assumed he got a cd to boot, but his explanation of "installing the sfs files to the root of the hard drive"
leaves me perplexed.
Probably just did a manual frugal install. Copy the puppyxxx,sfs, vmlinuz and initrd.gz from CD to a top level directory ("root" he said -- probably did the copy from another linux), then make a grub menu.lst entry to point to it.

That's what he was able to boot 4.2 from, as a guess, rather than the CD. Or, that's what I thought he was saying anyway.

That's also why I was inquiring about how the CD was working after he was running 4.2 -- are there still issues with it --possible timing problems-- particularly burning if it's a burner.

rjbrewer

#66 Post by rjbrewer »

Well; if he had a previous other linux it must have been very old
or small.
I once got redhat 9 (2.4 kernel) to install on my pc with 96 mb ram;
but it took 256 to get fedora 7 or a later ubuntu to load.

How I was doing full installs before I bought a rewriteable cd:

Downloaded 4.2rc2 to my existing 4.1.1 install.
Created a directory (Puppy420rc2) on partition
Sda4. Clicked the 4.2rc2 iso file and extracted pup-
420_sfs, initrd.gz, vmlinuz, to Puppy420rc2 on Sda4.

Went to Boot-Grub-Menu-Lst and made an entry for
Puppy 420rc2 frugal. Rebooted to Sda4. Rebooted
again and made a small pup-save file. (necessary!)

Booted back to Sda4. Clicked on Universal Installer
in Menu. Began process for full-install on Sda3.
When it reaches the point of asking where the files
are located, (cd or directory) choose directory.
In the 2 column box, hard-drive will be in the left
list; click it. Then click 420sfs in the right list.
Begin the install. When it reaches the part about
installing grub, just close the rest of the windows.
Go to Boot-Grub-Menu-Lst again and make an entry for
a full install. All done. Reboot.

Full installs

mcewanw

I've been drinking too much coffee

#67 Post by mcewanw »

rjbrewer wrote:mcewanw,

The hda you refer to is on the title line of grub and doesn't have
an effect on booting.

I have tried many versions of puppy using titles similar to this
and they all boot fine: :)

title Boot you lazy fleabitten hound on hdplanet pluto
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal pfix=fsck
Thank goodness you spotted that! :-)

Yes, I must have been hallucinating when I wrote my post. I was actually thinking about hd0,0 (grub nomenclature) when I wrote hda, but now that you mention it, that's what grub uses for sda or hda. I was particularly in dreamland because I didn't consider full-installs as per your stanza above (my installation is a frugal one)... sigh.
github mcewanw

vtpup

#68 Post by vtpup »

rjbrewer wrote:Well; if he had a previous other linux it must have been very old
or small.
I once got redhat 9 (2.4 kernel) to install on my pc with 96 mb ram;
but it took 256 to get fedora 7 or a later ubuntu to load.
Very useful guide to full install with minimal resources, rj.

I think DSL claims it runs on a 486 w 16 megs. If I remember correctly 1Micko got puppy running on a 486 awhile back.

rjbrewer

#69 Post by rjbrewer »

Oops!

He did mention Kubuntu, Xubuntu 7.10. The alternate 'cli' versions
will load with very little ram.

Full installs

linuxgeoff

booting on tosh 3110ct

#70 Post by linuxgeoff »

Sorry to leave you all guessing - been on a plane all day.

So, answers: current install was fluxbuntu running on ubuntu 7.1. With that running, I just copied the pup_421.sfs to / on hda1. This allowed me to boot puppy from the CD

I do recognize that I'll need a full install with my 128MB. However, After boot, HDA1 is not unmountable, so the full install falls over trying to write the grub files. I'm assuming that I'm going to need to manually partition the drives and install - except that I think I may now have lost the .sfs file on /, so maybe will struggle to boot.

I'm away all week, so won't get to work on this again till next weekend. Meanwhile, I appreciate all the suggestions and if anyone has better ideas than what I'm doing, fee free to share. Also, if this is a timeout issue on the CD drive and a fix is possible, that would be loverly to see!

Thnaks, Geoff

rjbrewer

#71 Post by rjbrewer »

Using a g-parted cd should let you work on the drive partitions.

Full installs

vtpup

#72 Post by vtpup »

As I mentioned earlier. I've used SystemRescueCD in the past for doing partitioning -- it has gparted and is a minimal linux LiveCD.

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

rjbrewer

#73 Post by rjbrewer »

vtpup wrote:As I mentioned earlier. I've used SystemRescueCD in the past for doing partitioning -- it has gparted and is a minimal linux LiveCD.

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
My old g-parted cd was having problems any way; so I burned
a system rescue disk. Very nice!

thanks

Edit;

There are potential problems with the system rescue disk.
The Gparted on the disk is apparently the same one used by
the latest Ubuntus and the latest Puppy with 2.6.30.5 kernel.

It creates partitions with 256 inodes.

Full installs

vtpup

#74 Post by vtpup »

Hi RJBrewer, I actually haven't downloaded that one in quite awhile, so I have an older version -- would it be any use to you if I could find a way to get it to you?

Also, how would I tell if it is the proper gparted version for you?

rjbrewer

#75 Post by rjbrewer »

vtpup wrote:Hi RJBrewer, I actually haven't downloaded that one in quite awhile, so I have an older version -- would it be any use to you if I could find a way to get it to you?

Also, how would I tell if it is the proper gparted version for you?
I was not actually in need of it.....just preparing for eventualities.

Both Grub and Gparted on 4.3.1 (new kernel) are different now and
adjustments have to be made if using them on a drive with older
puppies.
The new Grub2 will add to the confusion.

Full installs

HOMEFLASH

PUP-431.SFS NOT FOUND RESOLUTION - LOWER VERSION!

#76 Post by HOMEFLASH »

Indeed, I had the same problem, and there is nothing wrong with the CD because I have tried the other pc, it is the kernel problem and yes, the other version works perfectly.

puppy-4.1.2retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso

you can download it from here..

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

vtpup

#77 Post by vtpup »

I just installed 4.3.1 on a friend's A22 thinkpad. I'm writing on it now.

You probably need not the "retro" version, since nowadays there are several "retro" versions. You need specifically the 2.6.21.7 scsi modems version from here:

Ibiblio Special 4.3.1 Puppies

I believe that Puppy 431 loses the Thinkpad's SCSI-ish CDROM when installing because later kernels are missing support for it.

Also remember that internal parallel ide drives are called hda instead of sda when using the 2.6.21.7 kernel -- if you are writing a Grub menu.lst entry by hand.

EDIT:

As the above poster mentioned, same kernel works on earlier Puppy 4 series, but you don't have to use 4.1.2, you can use 4.3.1 in my link.

Dpup doesn't have a 2.6.21.7 kernel even in the Dpup477 version mentioned in an earlier post.

recycler

portege

#78 Post by recycler »

Puppy 431 runs well in the portege with 128mb ram. I even use wine and faststone imageviewer. Only one window at a time though....

The optical drive which came with my machine didn't work though so the way I install is to remove the hard drive from the toshiba. Use a laptop hard drive adaptor to connect it to my desktop machine. Install puppy (frugal install btw) and pop the drive back in the machine. Older versions of puppy (pre dingo) need the toshiba laptop fix.

Tonight trying to get pupp working on a toshiba portege 3010ct with 32 meg of ram. Not going well! have tried 412 - hangs loading kernel modules. Tried meanpup 2.02 - problems with display. Tuuxxes firehydrant lite looks like it will work - but not with xvesa and need the toshiba laptop fix.... have tried for hours and going to pop the original win 98 drive back in soon!

Good luck with the 3110ct though - it WILL work really well.
[i][quote] [/quote]
[/i]Puppy 412 and 430

geofflev

pup-431.sfs not found

#79 Post by geofflev »

Just thought I'd confirm;

On my TP 600E, with the 4.3.1 live CD, I could only get past the "pup-431.sfs not found" error by using F2 followed by "puppy acpi=force". But had to do the "puppy acpi=force" every time I booted, even when using the save pup files at shutdown.

So I burnt another CD with pup-431-k2.6.21.7-scsi-intel_modems.iso. Works fine so far!

Going on to wifi card, net card, printer, etc.

Thanks to everybody in this post. I was ready to give up on Puppy and go back to DSL or even Linux 6.2. Ubuntu is just toooo slow on this ancient, but venerable, machine.

vtpup

#80 Post by vtpup »

Yup, the 2.6.21.7 kernel 4.3.1 works fine on a Thinkpad 600e.I'm writing this on one now.

I'm interested to read however that you were able to boot a late kernel 4.3.1 on the 600e by using acpi=force. I'll have to try that.

While it sounds like you were loading off of a CD, do you know that you can make a frugal with acpi=force cheatcode in the Grub menu.lst?

I'm going to see if I can get a late kernel version working on this machine that way.

I've also noticed that the 4.3.1 installer adds 4 files to a frugal, not just the old three of the pup, initrd.gz, and vmlinuz. The 4th file in my case was named IDEHD, and looks to be the same extra file that gets installed with the wakepup option I believe. So I'm wondering if there is a new script portion running to identify boot drives from an identifier file even on standard frugal installs.

That might explain some of the problems a few of us have been having when we do the manual frugal install of copying the 3 (but should be 4) essential files to a puppy directory. If now 4 files are needed that might explain why some older machines get lost in the boot process. Dunno, just a guess.

Anyway, going to try the acpi=force on the 600e with a new kernel 4.3.1.....