FATGamesPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gillmaus

FATGamesPup

#1 Post by gillmaus »

Hello All!

I built a puplet to reuse my old computers as gaming-place and educational suite for my kids. Though there are already some OS of that purpose, I never felt confident with 'em. So now I'm thankful to give something back to the great Puppy community:

FATGamesPup download (Based on GamesPup 2.16 - thanx to headfound)

PLEASE MIRROR IT CAUSE THE SERVER WILL BE SHOT DOWN SOON!

It's around 470MB and suitable for adults and the youth..

This is not any kind of "offical" release. Its just some privat fun and really helpful for the kids. I tried to update it to Puppy 2.17.1 but afterwards the cd-remaster failed, maybe I'll try again later. Lots of games I wanted to add never managed to compile. Might be the libc6-thing and other weaknesses of 2.16. Some games are older versions. All games have been tested on different machines and ran out-of-the-box with vesa (On 266Mhz-128MB some games are slow, 400Mhz-256MB ok, 500Mhz-192MB ok, 466Mhz-128MB ok, 1,6Ghz-3GB wow). Sometimes some configuration (screen, joystick, language, ...) has to be done for some games to work "smoother". Some games take a long time to load, I suggest a install on HD. There are no 3D-hardware dependent games included. There are still some bugs of course. Please forgive my non-conform way of installing the games. I added some information to the gamelauncher where applicable.

My children really enjoy the easy-access icons for their suitable games on the desktop. All non-kid games are launched by the gamelauncher-icon. Just delete this icon to protect your children from accidently watching head-chopping actions....

So, which games are included?
First, I added these Tools: MC, Joystick-Sidewinder.

EDUCATIONAL Games on the desktop:
gCompris
childsplay
tuxPaint
xBubble
LMarbles
Konnekt4
LTris
Concentration
tuxType2
tuxMath

ACTION:
Airstrike
Barbarian (retro!)
Barrage
Bomberclone
Bumprace (fun!)
Cars
Deadly Cobra
Digger
DukeNukeEm3D
FreeDoom
Freedroid (classic!)
FunnyBoat
GTKFish
Heroes (great!)
Kraptor
LBreakout2
Linball (slow!)
Maelstrom
Missle Command
Moon Lander
Njam (pacmen style!)
Oxygene (different!)
Racer
SDLBomber
SDLScavenger
Sheep Pool
Starfighter
Toppler (Nebulous!)
xInvaders
xTux
ZaxxonRR
xGalaga
xtank

BOARD:
------
EX Chess
KCheckers
Konnekt4
SDLCC
Shanghai
TKYahtzee
Voom (scorched!)
xfRisk
xMahjongg
xArchon (great!)

CARD:
-----
Euchre
Oils
Solitaire
Spider
TKHearts
TKSpider
Tripeaks
xFreeCell
xSkat (best!)

Educational:
------------
Concentration
Tux Type 2
Childsplay
gCompris
lletters
Tux Math

Platform:
---------
Abuse
Alex the alligator 4
Brutalo deluxe 2 (bad!)
DaveGNUkEm
Doukutsu (adventure!)
Epic freefall (fast!)
Help Hannah's Horse
KillEm
Pachi El Marciano
Rocks and Diamonds (wow!)
Snowball
Supertux
Wartimes (small and fun!)
Which way is up?
xRick
xEvil

PUZZLE:
-------
Bubbles
Collapse
Epiphany
Escape
GemGame
Gsoko
Headache
LTris
Matchball
Rezerwar
Rubix Cube
TKMines
TKTris
xBlockout
XBubble
Berusky
LMarbles

VARIOUS:
--------
Ascisector
Ace of penguins
Bygfoot (football manager)
Epiar
FreeCiv
Frogs of War
GTKBoard
LinCity
Pizza Business
Simon Tathams Games
Widelands
xPat2
Lpairs
tuxPuck
tuxpaint

Sorry for not including YOUR favourite game :-)
Have Fun!

MU

#2 Post by MU »

mirror:

http://www.puppyisos.org/isos/2009-07-to-12/

user: puppy
password: linux

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Interesting! Couldn't fit in FlightGear, I suppose!
We seem to have the German version of TuxType II. Struggled to find Ende with my limited vocabulary. Schools in the UK are using TT so it'd be great to have an englisch version, too.

Go on - edit your profile and confirm your location...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

gillmaus :)

Very nice
very polished and includes the full suite of Puppy programs
Good work :)

On the initial boot up it takes a while (by Puppy standards)
to create and load into a tmpf area - so be aware
the loading may be slower than Puppys are used to . . .
Also I could not connect to the internet
- which might be a good thing :)

I am using a 64bit Athlon
and had no problems with any of the games - tried most of them
That is testament to your testing.

I particularly like the launcher which can also be activated
bottom left next to the menu

Some of the games seem very addictive and playable

Woof Woof
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

elraven

fatGamesPup

#5 Post by elraven »

hi gillmaus :D
FatGamesPup booted fine on my old compaq presario 450mhz. Runs pretty smooth with only 384megs rams to play with but hey thats what swapfiles are for, right. Liked it so much i did a full hard drive imstall and it's still smooth running , even more so in fact. keep up th good work .
elraven 8)

gillmaus

#6 Post by gillmaus »

Thanx for your resonses! Yes all the problems and bugs of 2.16.1 and GamesPup are still fully featured :-). As said, I'll try again to update to 2.17.1 later (Maybe begin of 2010).

MORE GAMES: In that process I could fill the iso up to 700MB. So if you like to suggest some games: Also provide a pet/pup/rpm/deb/zip/tgz that works with 2.16/2.17 without 3D-accel. As I told you I can't compile a lot of games and it took me a week to compile/install all that stuff thats already included. (and all that non-working stuff, too.)

LANGUAGE-ISSUES: Attached you'll find a program that changes language for gCompris and Tuxpaint to english, spanish and german. Childsplay and tuxpaint won't change right now. Just download and call

Code: Select all

perl langswitch.pl
in a terminal in FATGamesPup. That will print out the usage.

Please continue reporting bugs and nice-to-have as I will build a new version 01/2010.

@MU: Can you provide an upload-possibility for future versions? (Maybe only temporary on my demand?)
Attachments
langswitch.zip
Switches language of tuxtype and gcompris in german, spanish and english. Unzip and run perl langswitch.pl. Only for FATGamesPup
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 660 times

MU

#7 Post by MU »

gillmaus,

you may upload using these instructions:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 9398#99398

The account has 750 GB of space, so I don't have to delete old versions.
We can upload as many puplets as we like.
The only limit may be sometimes, that the acoount is deactivated for a day, if extreme high traffic occurs.
But this happens very seldom, basically just, when a new vietnamese Hacao-ISO is uploaded.

The account is paid via donations from Puppy users.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

Has the old version of GPartEd. Worth changing this for the newer version as there is a long pause whilst it tries to scan an empty or non-existent FDD with this one. Otherwise, the quick solution is to pop any old FD into the slot.

ragaman

#9 Post by ragaman »

Thank you, thank you gillmaus for the awesome puplet. It's fast becoming the favorite of my five-year old niece.

pemasu

psubdir and frugal install

#10 Post by pemasu »

Thanks for the addictive games derivative. My son seems to like playing the games. Sounds worked after alsa configuration and network worked also.

- Which firefox version should I install so that I can install Xmarks plugin and get my bookmarks via Xmarks ?

- I havent managed to use subdir in the grub (from the Puppy 4.3.1).
I have Puppy 4.3.1 angd Growler in two folders. If I move the files to the fatgamespuppy folder, the boot doesnt work. (Using the samekind config rows as with the other puppies). I get errors not finding files. If there is working solution, I can paste the error messages and my grub config here (or somewhere else). But if its something missing for example in initrd.gz, so let it be.

- I dont have experience of 2x or 3x puppies or derivates so I dont know what works and what doesnt.

With best regards

gillmaus

#11 Post by gillmaus »

@pemasu:
Puppy 2.x series is very different from 4.x (for example C-libs). The Puppy-Gurus in the forum might answer your questions in another thread. I dont believe that you can run lots of newer software on the 2.x series and I would not suggest to use FATGamesPup for daily browsing and stuff.

ttuuxxx

#12 Post by ttuuxxx »

gillmaus wrote:@pemasu:
Puppy 2.x series is very different from 4.x (for example C-libs). The Puppy-Gurus in the forum might answer your questions in another thread. I dont believe that you can run lots of newer software on the 2.x series and I would not suggest to use FATGamesPup for daily browsing and stuff.
The highest Firefox that 2 series can use is Firefox2 series, 3 series won't work, unless you use 2.14X, That is the only 2 series that FF3.5 works on, I changes the backend including glibc to series 3, No an easy task. 2.14X would make a better retro base for something like this. in the next couple of weeks I'll have a RC version.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Funny how everyone is bothered about the web browser for a puppy made to play games on :D

Gtk 2.10+ needed for later firefox due to it wanting the later gtk printing arrangement...gtk2 rules linux...and what a leader :D

glibc 2.4+ needed for flash 10

Gtk2 needs fixing for flash 9/10 anyway....7 is fast , stable and many flash games still run on it (and you tube)

No subdirectories with puppy 2 (I just rename the key files to keep them separate)

mike

pemasu

Psubdir and webbrowsing

#14 Post by pemasu »

Thank you for the answers. I found from the multiple old threads (2.14-2.16 Puppy and derivates) the same answers.
I have a lot of Puppy links in separe folders in my FF3.5 bookmarks. If I have to configure some way the new derivate, I mostly will find answer from the bookmark link.
But I will need at least FF 3.0 that Xmarks will work and I can synchorinize the bookmarks.
So I installed Firepup from Ttuuuxx, thank you. I am gointo test if I can import bookmarks from the FF 3.54 to it.
I have read (because of the Fatgames) a lot of the 2.14XX thread (about 2000 replies) and I have tested 2.14V16 in my own laptop. Look very nice, but my wireless intel 4965 didnt work so I coudnt test it properly. I even tried to install 4965.ucode to the /lib/firmware but it didnt work. Extra modules didnt work. Problem from CD reading. So I think I will let it be right now. I have on older PC, 1 Hz processor and I bought extra RAM 256 Mb > 1 Gb to it. I am going to but it to new usage. I will test 2.14V16 and Fatgames with it. It has olden NIC, so there should not be problems.

From the old threads psubdir probaly is not working at 2.16 series. There is an older method, but I didnt understood it properly. From the 2.14XX thread menu.lst rows:
title Puppy214X
rootnoverify (hd0,1)/puppy214X
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=satahd PDEV1=sda2 PUPMODE=12 SFSFILE=ntfs,sda2,/puppy214X/pup_214R.sfs ZDRV=ntfs,sda2,/puppy214X/zdrv_214R.sfs PUPSAVE=ntfs,sda2,/puppy214X/pup_save.2fs
# pfix=fsck DEV1FS=ntfs
initrd /initrd.gz

So right now Fatgames works perfectly for gaming from the toplevel directory.

Thank again of the game derivative and answers.

With best regards

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

So I installed Firepup from Ttuuuxx, thank you. I am gointo test if I can import bookmarks from the FF 3.54 to it.
there will be the option to export bookmarks from the bookmark manager as html which can then be imported via the same tool to firepup(or placed in the profile folder.)

mike

pemasu

Fatgames and Firepup and bookmarks and little bit off topic

#16 Post by pemasu »

Export bookmarks.html worked. Thank you mikeb. Posting now from my laptop with Ttuuuxx 2.14V16 booting from CD. Wlan intel 4965 agn works like the charm with ndiswrapper and NETw4x32.INF and .sys. Driverpackage from acer ftp site. Connect pinboard icon >> Ndiswrapper after ndiswrapper -i .inf from the CLI worked asap. Well it went off topic, but you never knows if this helps someone.

Happy now. My son playing fatgames puppy and I can test (old) 2.14 series.

With best regards

puppyiso

#17 Post by puppyiso »

The downloaded size seen by a Chinese Windows XP in a PC internetbar here in somewhere city in China is;

472,602,624 bite which means 450MB. But isn't it supposed to be 470MB?

Is the downloaded size correct?

The internet connection is too slow to download something like 470MB so I went out this incredibly cold day to download in a Chinese PC bar.

I have downloaded again but the file size is the same.

I jut wanna know what others got for the file size.

Plaese someone verify the file size.

John

gillmaus

#18 Post by gillmaus »

Yes, size seems ok. It was just estimated. There is a MD5 at the mirror: http://www.puppyisos.org/isos/2009-07-to-12/

puppyiso

#19 Post by puppyiso »

Thank you. Now I can go ahead to burn it.

russoodle

Another mirror, gillmaus..

#20 Post by russoodle »

gillmaus:
PLEASE MIRROR IT CAUSE THE SERVER WILL BE SHOT DOWN SOON!
Uploading to my server now gillmaus, so if users can give it about 4 hours or so....(it's travelling via http at a lousy 25 KB/s coz for some reason i can't get ftp to play nice on the mac, which is why i don't have many more pups'n'stuff up there yet - it takes so long, sorry :roll: )

Url is: http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... up-216.iso

Please login at the prompt with user: puppy and password: FATgamespup216 :)

EDIT, several hours later: my apologies to users trying to access this file earlier but the uploaded iso simply vanished from the server in front of my very eyes, so i had to upload it again....it's there now though, so all should be well....i'm sorry for any inconvenience :?
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]