Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Jul 2014, 13:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
FATGamesPup
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
gillmaus

PostPosted: Fri 13 Nov 2009, 19:57    Post_subject:  FATGamesPup
Sub_title: 4 kids and adults

Hello All!

I built a puplet to reuse my old computers as gaming-place and educational suite for my kids. Though there are already some OS of that purpose, I never felt confident with 'em. So now I'm thankful to give something back to the great Puppy community:

FATGamesPup download (Based on GamesPup 2.16 - thanx to headfound)

PLEASE MIRROR IT CAUSE THE SERVER WILL BE SHOT DOWN SOON!

It's around 470MB and suitable for adults and the youth..

This is not any kind of "offical" release. Its just some privat fun and really helpful for the kids. I tried to update it to Puppy 2.17.1 but afterwards the cd-remaster failed, maybe I'll try again later. Lots of games I wanted to add never managed to compile. Might be the libc6-thing and other weaknesses of 2.16. Some games are older versions. All games have been tested on different machines and ran out-of-the-box with vesa (On 266Mhz-128MB some games are slow, 400Mhz-256MB ok, 500Mhz-192MB ok, 466Mhz-128MB ok, 1,6Ghz-3GB wow). Sometimes some configuration (screen, joystick, language, ...) has to be done for some games to work "smoother". Some games take a long time to load, I suggest a install on HD. There are no 3D-hardware dependent games included. There are still some bugs of course. Please forgive my non-conform way of installing the games. I added some information to the gamelauncher where applicable.

My children really enjoy the easy-access icons for their suitable games on the desktop. All non-kid games are launched by the gamelauncher-icon. Just delete this icon to protect your children from accidently watching head-chopping actions....

So, which games are included?
First, I added these Tools: MC, Joystick-Sidewinder.

EDUCATIONAL Games on the desktop:
gCompris
childsplay
tuxPaint
xBubble
LMarbles
Konnekt4
LTris
Concentration
tuxType2
tuxMath

ACTION:
Airstrike
Barbarian (retro!)
Barrage
Bomberclone
Bumprace (fun!)
Cars
Deadly Cobra
Digger
DukeNukeEm3D
FreeDoom
Freedroid (classic!)
FunnyBoat
GTKFish
Heroes (great!)
Kraptor
LBreakout2
Linball (slow!)
Maelstrom
Missle Command
Moon Lander
Njam (pacmen style!)
Oxygene (different!)
Racer
SDLBomber
SDLScavenger
Sheep Pool
Starfighter
Toppler (Nebulous!)
xInvaders
xTux
ZaxxonRR
xGalaga
xtank

BOARD:
------
EX Chess
KCheckers
Konnekt4
SDLCC
Shanghai
TKYahtzee
Voom (scorched!)
xfRisk
xMahjongg
xArchon (great!)

CARD:
-----
Euchre
Oils
Solitaire
Spider
TKHearts
TKSpider
Tripeaks
xFreeCell
xSkat (best!)

Educational:
------------
Concentration
Tux Type 2
Childsplay
gCompris
lletters
Tux Math

Platform:
---------
Abuse
Alex the alligator 4
Brutalo deluxe 2 (bad!)
DaveGNUkEm
Doukutsu (adventure!)
Epic freefall (fast!)
Help Hannah's Horse
KillEm
Pachi El Marciano
Rocks and Diamonds (wow!)
Snowball
Supertux
Wartimes (small and fun!)
Which way is up?
xRick
xEvil

PUZZLE:
-------
Bubbles
Collapse
Epiphany
Escape
GemGame
Gsoko
Headache
LTris
Matchball
Rezerwar
Rubix Cube
TKMines
TKTris
xBlockout
XBubble
Berusky
LMarbles

VARIOUS:
--------
Ascisector
Ace of penguins
Bygfoot (football manager)
Epiar
FreeCiv
Frogs of War
GTKBoard
LinCity
Pizza Business
Simon Tathams Games
Widelands
xPat2
Lpairs
tuxPuck
tuxpaint

Sorry for not including YOUR favourite game Smile
Have Fun!
MU

PostPosted: Fri 13 Nov 2009, 21:28    Post_subject:  

mirror:

http://www.puppyisos.org/isos/2009-07-to-12/

user: puppy
password: linux

Mark

Sage

PostPosted: Sat 14 Nov 2009, 07:04    Post_subject:  

Interesting! Couldn't fit in FlightGear, I suppose!
We seem to have the German version of TuxType II. Struggled to find Ende with my limited vocabulary. Schools in the UK are using TT so it'd be great to have an englisch version, too.

Go on - edit your profile and confirm your location...
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 14 Nov 2009, 07:22    Post_subject:  

gillmaus Smile

Very nice
very polished and includes the full suite of Puppy programs
Good work Smile

On the initial boot up it takes a while (by Puppy standards)
to create and load into a tmpf area - so be aware
the loading may be slower than Puppys are used to . . .
Also I could not connect to the internet
- which might be a good thing Smile

I am using a 64bit Athlon
and had no problems with any of the games - tried most of them
That is testament to your testing.

I particularly like the launcher which can also be activated
bottom left next to the menu

Some of the games seem very addictive and playable

Woof Woof

elraven

PostPosted: Sat 14 Nov 2009, 10:53    Post_subject: fatGamesPup
Sub_title: woo hoo !

hi gillmaus Very Happy
FatGamesPup booted fine on my old compaq presario 450mhz. Runs pretty smooth with only 384megs rams to play with but hey thats what swapfiles are for, right. Liked it so much i did a full hard drive imstall and it's still smooth running , even more so in fact. keep up th good work .
elraven Cool
gillmaus

PostPosted: Sat 14 Nov 2009, 11:39    Post_subject:  

Thanx for your resonses! Yes all the problems and bugs of 2.16.1 and GamesPup are still fully featured Smile. As said, I'll try again to update to 2.17.1 later (Maybe begin of 2010).

MORE GAMES: In that process I could fill the iso up to 700MB. So if you like to suggest some games: Also provide a pet/pup/rpm/deb/zip/tgz that works with 2.16/2.17 without 3D-accel. As I told you I can't compile a lot of games and it took me a week to compile/install all that stuff thats already included. (and all that non-working stuff, too.)

LANGUAGE-ISSUES: Attached you'll find a program that changes language for gCompris and Tuxpaint to english, spanish and german. Childsplay and tuxpaint won't change right now. Just download and call
Code:
perl langswitch.pl
in a terminal in FATGamesPup. That will print out the usage.

Please continue reporting bugs and nice-to-have as I will build a new version 01/2010.

@MU: Can you provide an upload-possibility for future versions? (Maybe only temporary on my demand?)
langswitch.zip
Description  Switches language of tuxtype and gcompris in german, spanish and english. Unzip and run perl langswitch.pl. Only for FATGamesPup
zip

Download 
Filename  langswitch.zip 
Filesize  1.25 KB 
Downloaded  358 Time(s) 
MU

PostPosted: Sat 14 Nov 2009, 14:01    Post_subject:  

gillmaus,

you may upload using these instructions:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=99398#99398

The account has 750 GB of space, so I don't have to delete old versions.
We can upload as many puplets as we like.
The only limit may be sometimes, that the acoount is deactivated for a day, if extreme high traffic occurs.
But this happens very seldom, basically just, when a new vietnamese Hacao-ISO is uploaded.

The account is paid via donations from Puppy users.

Mark

Sage

PostPosted: Sun 15 Nov 2009, 08:11    Post_subject:  

Has the old version of GPartEd. Worth changing this for the newer version as there is a long pause whilst it tries to scan an empty or non-existent FDD with this one. Otherwise, the quick solution is to pop any old FD into the slot.
ragaman

PostPosted: Sun 15 Nov 2009, 09:19    Post_subject:  

Thank you, thank you gillmaus for the awesome puplet. It's fast becoming the favorite of my five-year old niece.
pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 15 Nov 2009, 12:23    Post_subject: psubdir and frugal install  

Thanks for the addictive games derivative. My son seems to like playing the games. Sounds worked after alsa configuration and network worked also.

- Which firefox version should I install so that I can install Xmarks plugin and get my bookmarks via Xmarks ?

- I havent managed to use subdir in the grub (from the Puppy 4.3.1).
I have Puppy 4.3.1 angd Growler in two folders. If I move the files to the fatgamespuppy folder, the boot doesnt work. (Using the samekind config rows as with the other puppies). I get errors not finding files. If there is working solution, I can paste the error messages and my grub config here (or somewhere else). But if its something missing for example in initrd.gz, so let it be.

- I dont have experience of 2x or 3x puppies or derivates so I dont know what works and what doesnt.

With best regards
gillmaus

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov 2009, 08:08    Post_subject:  

@pemasu:
Puppy 2.x series is very different from 4.x (for example C-libs). The Puppy-Gurus in the forum might answer your questions in another thread. I dont believe that you can run lots of newer software on the 2.x series and I would not suggest to use FATGamesPup for daily browsing and stuff.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov 2009, 08:48    Post_subject:  

gillmaus wrote:
@pemasu:
Puppy 2.x series is very different from 4.x (for example C-libs). The Puppy-Gurus in the forum might answer your questions in another thread. I dont believe that you can run lots of newer software on the 2.x series and I would not suggest to use FATGamesPup for daily browsing and stuff.

The highest Firefox that 2 series can use is Firefox2 series, 3 series won't work, unless you use 2.14X, That is the only 2 series that FF3.5 works on, I changes the backend including glibc to series 3, No an easy task. 2.14X would make a better retro base for something like this. in the next couple of weeks I'll have a RC version.
ttuuxxx

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov 2009, 09:13    Post_subject:  

Funny how everyone is bothered about the web browser for a puppy made to play games on Very Happy

Gtk 2.10+ needed for later firefox due to it wanting the later gtk printing arrangement...gtk2 rules linux...and what a leader Very Happy

glibc 2.4+ needed for flash 10

Gtk2 needs fixing for flash 9/10 anyway....7 is fast , stable and many flash games still run on it (and you tube)

No subdirectories with puppy 2 (I just rename the key files to keep them separate)

mike
pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov 2009, 11:30    Post_subject: Psubdir and webbrowsing  

Thank you for the answers. I found from the multiple old threads (2.14-2.16 Puppy and derivates) the same answers.
I have a lot of Puppy links in separe folders in my FF3.5 bookmarks. If I have to configure some way the new derivate, I mostly will find answer from the bookmark link.
But I will need at least FF 3.0 that Xmarks will work and I can synchorinize the bookmarks.
So I installed Firepup from Ttuuuxx, thank you. I am gointo test if I can import bookmarks from the FF 3.54 to it.
I have read (because of the Fatgames) a lot of the 2.14XX thread (about 2000 replies) and I have tested 2.14V16 in my own laptop. Look very nice, but my wireless intel 4965 didnt work so I coudnt test it properly. I even tried to install 4965.ucode to the /lib/firmware but it didnt work. Extra modules didnt work. Problem from CD reading. So I think I will let it be right now. I have on older PC, 1 Hz processor and I bought extra RAM 256 Mb > 1 Gb to it. I am going to but it to new usage. I will test 2.14V16 and Fatgames with it. It has olden NIC, so there should not be problems.

From the old threads psubdir probaly is not working at 2.16 series. There is an older method, but I didnt understood it properly. From the 2.14XX thread menu.lst rows:
title Puppy214X
rootnoverify (hd0,1)/puppy214X
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=satahd PDEV1=sda2 PUPMODE=12 SFSFILE=ntfs,sda2,/puppy214X/pup_214R.sfs ZDRV=ntfs,sda2,/puppy214X/zdrv_214R.sfs PUPSAVE=ntfs,sda2,/puppy214X/pup_save.2fs
# pfix=fsck DEV1FS=ntfs
initrd /initrd.gz

So right now Fatgames works perfectly for gaming from the toplevel directory.

Thank again of the game derivative and answers.

With best regards
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov 2009, 11:43    Post_subject:  

Quote:
So I installed Firepup from Ttuuuxx, thank you. I am gointo test if I can import bookmarks from the FF 3.54 to it.

there will be the option to export bookmarks from the bookmark manager as html which can then be imported via the same tool to firepup(or placed in the profile folder.)

mike
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum