pixmaps, /usr/lib/win32 symlinks

Please post any bugs you have found
GuestToo
Puppy Master

pixmaps, /usr/lib/win32 symlinks

#1 Post by GuestToo »

i installed "guifications" for Gaim (pops up notifications when friends go online/offline/type etc etc)

it puts a dir in /usr/share/pixmaps/gaim
/usr/share/pixmaps is a symlink to /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps, so the dir really gets put there

this symlink sometime causes problems

after using guifications for a while, i looked in /root using gdmap, and noticed that /root/.usr was using about 60 megs of space ... strange things happened to the /usr/share/pixmaps/gaim ... it seemed to have turned into a mount point with no name

i fsck'ed pup001 from another distro, which seemed to fix the name problem ... i decided to replace the symlink with a real dir ... so, using Rox, i deleted the symlink and created a dir called pixmaps ... i made symlinks to the individual icon files in/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps, and i put the gaim dir in /usr/share/pixmaps

now, it seems to work ok ... and it doesn't use much more space than the single symlink

this might prevent problems that some other packages have had with the symlink

not a bug, but while i was at it, i replaced /usr/lib/win32 with a symlink to where i have my codecs, on another partition, shared by my other distros (though i usually run Puppy anyway)

this is a little trickier ... unionfs doesn't seem to like you doing this, so i made a symlink directly in /root/.usr/lib and immediately rebooted (to remount .usr using unionfs) ... this seems to work ok too, movies and audio seem to play ok in gxine and mplayer