Puppy 4.3 cups 403 Forbidden

This is for bugs in a version of Puppy 4.x that is still under development. If you have bugs for a released version of Puppy, please post them in the forum's main Bugs section, not here. Bugs are when a program does not function as intended. Usability issues are not bugs.
differential

Puppy 4.3 cups 403 Forbidden

#1 Post by differential »

I am running Puppy 4.3 on a Compaq Armada M700 laptop and several types of printer seem to have installed themselves spontaneously and when I try to remove them or change anything in CUPS, I get the 403 Forbidden message.

I have used several versions of Puppy on this machine and have had printing working ok with 4.3 and an HP 4plus laser printer.. It seemed to start when I tried to install another printer.

Have had a look around but am not clear whether I need to upgrade CUPS or Puppy or what.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks
Russell

Subito Piano

#2 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi! Don't know if you are still struggling with this - i had to DOWNGRADE to the CUPS listed in the Puppy Package Manger to solve a problem i had..

differential

Network

#3 Post by differential »

I still have this problem from time to time and now realise it is because I live in a residential community and we are all on the same network and many people seem to have Macs. i don't know how it happens but other people's Mac printers seem to install on my computer.

At present, I can't install a printer - my old HP 4 Plus because the list of locations in CUPS does not include a parallel port.

Subito Piano

#4 Post by Subito Piano »

That was my problem! It's an old Sony Vaio (P-II 400 mz) i was putting together for a friend, installing a DeskJet 607C - Cups saw only my home network printers, no parallel port - then i opened Puppy package manager and installed the "outdated" cups (i forget the version, maybe like 1.1.2; just use teh cups listed in the package manager) - and voila! There was the old familiar ugly green /brownish Cups interface, and my parallel port!

Lemme know if it works for you, or if you need the Cups version number.