(svg files soon)
Attachments
logo_quirk1.png
(47.32 KiB) Downloaded 6531 times
logo_woof1.png
(24.42 KiB) Downloaded 7920 times
logo_puppy1.png
(24 KiB) Downloaded 9338 times
Last edited by afgs on Fri 24 Sep 2010, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

sikpuppy

#2 Post by sikpuppy »

I like the Quirk icon, it actually says "QUIRK!" to me. But the woof icon looks very aggressive to me.

I dunno if I would want to see that on my desktop, it would give me bad daydreams :P
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

afgs

#3 Post by afgs »

revision....
Attachments
logo_woof2.png
(29.19 KiB) Downloaded 6298 times

craftybear

#4 Post by craftybear »

afgs for president ... of the Puppy Linux graphics team!

I may be an uncaring bear but I do appreciate talent! Well done, afgs!
I CARE ... I just don't care about you!

craftybear

#5 Post by craftybear »

sikpuppy wrote:I like the Quirk icon, it actually says "QUIRK!" to me. But the woof icon looks very aggressive to me.
Point taken ... by afgs, too, it seems. I understand what he's trying to do though and it's quite clever. The Quirky logo is Barry's personal thumb print on a Puppy/Linux distro while the Woof logo is meant to demonstrate that Woof makes a whole puppy from lots of little pieces. My apologies if you already "got" that, sikpuppy. Just thought I'd hit other readers over the head with it! :D

sikpuppy

#6 Post by sikpuppy »

craftybear wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:I like the Quirk icon, it actually says "QUIRK!" to me. But the woof icon looks very aggressive to me.
Point taken ... by afgs, too, it seems. I understand what he's trying to do though and it's quite clever. The Quirky logo is Barry's personal thumb print on a Puppy/Linux distro while the Woof logo is meant to demonstrate that Woof makes a whole puppy from lots of little pieces. My apologies if you already "got" that, sikpuppy. Just thought I'd hit other readers over the head with it! :D
I apologize also if my comment seemed like less than constructive criticism, all three logos were/are very polished. I just had misgivings about the initial WOOF logo, and tried to soften the blow with a tongue in cheek remark.

My respect for afgs' obvious artistic talent is immediate and much kudos to them for this work :-)
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

craftybear

#7 Post by craftybear »

sikpuppy wrote:I apologize also if my comment seemed like less than constructive criticism, all three logos were/are very polished. I just had misgivings about the initial WOOF logo, and tried to soften the blow with a tongue in cheek remark.

My respect for afgs' obvious artistic talent is immediate and much kudos to them for this work :-)
No apology necessary on my account, sikpuppy, and it looks like afgs took it as constructive criticism, or he wouldn't have updated his take on the logo. I know I did.

You were right. The first effort does look "aggressive". The second softens that look a lot, but still conveys a small hint of aggression - mostly due to the sharpness of the "shards" or "splinters" that make up part of the puppy face. I guess that's not such a bad thing, given that Woof is about aggressively improving other distributions with a Puppy "version" that is lighter, faster and more fun! :lol:

dejan555

#8 Post by dejan555 »

I like the revisioned one. It's really cool.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

drongo

rastapax tribute

#9 Post by drongo »

I always liked rastapax's logo. I think it has an elegant simplicity which lends itself to all kinds of modification. With that in mind, here is my suggestion for a Woof logo based on rastapax's original.

Probably the F could do with reducing to make it more nose-like. The W could probably be a bit larger. I was trying to maintain the original ratios of sizes, but I think it could be tweaked by someone if they wanted.

Sorry about the awful quality. Anyone think this idea is worth following up?
Attachments
Woofrotate.jpg
Tilted_Woof
(55.83 KiB) Downloaded 3116 times
Woofrasta.jpg
Woof_rasta_tribute
(55.44 KiB) Downloaded 3105 times

`f00

#10 Post by `f00 »

.. polish and good ideas. It may be just me, but happy wagtail puppy seems more suitable marketwise? Funny, marketing a labor-of-love OS - maybe more loop to the W and a licky tongue rather than pointy sharp chompers.

Right, aggressively friendly as the pup remains :D

afgs

#11 Post by afgs »

- reducing sharp points
- change color to orange instead of red
- still use the "shards" to visualize the "barking (woof)" and "little pieces that build the next Puppy"
- still use bulldog because its hanging cheek makes the impression of the letter W
Attachments
logo_woof3.png
(24.54 KiB) Downloaded 7330 times

sikpuppy

#12 Post by sikpuppy »

I like the orange.

They all seem to compliment one another now and (looking back) the icon I commented on would have been the elephant in the kennel.

Can't fault them now, although I am not qualified to do so anyway :P (I don't know art, but I know what I like etc.)

dejan555

#13 Post by dejan555 »

Now, that one's really smooth!
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

battleshooter

#14 Post by battleshooter »

That Woof icon is really coming around. I seem to like it more with each revision. You've got some nice talent there Afgs. Keep up the excellent work!

Battleshooter
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

smokey01

#15 Post by smokey01 »

afgs,

I really like your work.

I'm not sure the four eyes do it for me though.

What about something like this. You can see my artistic skills are not as good as yours. :oops:
Attachments
logo_woof3.png
(22.88 KiB) Downloaded 7426 times

afgs

#16 Post by afgs »

@ smokey01: please see it as eyebrows (thick ones like Leonid Brezhnev's).
Erasing them, will lose the "woof/barking" aura. However I tweak the image a bit.
Attachments
logo_woof4.png
(24.82 KiB) Downloaded 3390 times

smokey01

#17 Post by smokey01 »

It's a little abstract for my liking but it's very nice. Maybe if the eye brows were a bit more horizontal.

I'm not sure if it's my eye sight but is the image rotated a little to the left?

Good job

afgs

#18 Post by afgs »

Mosaic of a barking dog with a big golden W in its face.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux
a project called Woof which is designed to assemble a Puppy Linux distribution from the packages of other Linux distributions.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic
Mosaic is the art of creating images with an assemblage of small pieces of colored glass, stone, or other materials.
Attachments
logo_woof5.png
(32.15 KiB) Downloaded 3278 times

sikpuppy

#19 Post by sikpuppy »

Whoa, stare at that long enough and it moves!

afgs

#20 Post by afgs »

Different breeds
Same kennel
Attachments
same_kennel.png
(51.47 KiB) Downloaded 3704 times