No sound from Intel 8X0

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
ZAPZAP

intel8x0

#21 Post by ZAPZAP »

rm -f /var/lock/subsys/alsasound 2> /dev/null

taken from the alsa startup script, can anyone decipher it for me, it may hold the key please.

ZAPZAP

intel8x0

#22 Post by ZAPZAP »

is it possible alsa is trying to load the module as "snd-intel8x0.o" instead of "snd-intel8x0.ko" thoughts?

muggins

#23 Post by muggins »

ZAPZAP,

how are you running puppy...from CD/DVD, usb or hdisk? Just curious if you try booting a CD, with prefix pfix=ram, whether sound works.

ZAPZAP

Intel8x0

#24 Post by ZAPZAP »

Hi muggins,

I have it installed on the hd, i did try from cd.
I will try booting from cd with your suggestion.

ZAPZAP

Intel8x0

#25 Post by ZAPZAP »

no joy im afraid. same problem exists, alsa is not loading intel8x0.

rm -f /var/lock/subsys/alsasound 2> /dev/null

alsasound, at this address, in this code doesnt exist?

what does '2> /dev/null' mean?

ZAPZAP

intel8x0

#26 Post by ZAPZAP »

ALSA lib conf.c:976:(parse_value) card is not a string
ALSA lib conf.c:1589:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:2:20:Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:2850:(snd_config_hook_load) /etc/asound.conf may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:2714:(snd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3079:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration

Hello again,

can somebody help me with this please? This is the error codes after alsaconf fails. Any suggestions?

ZAPZAP

Intel8x0

#27 Post by ZAPZAP »

is there anybody there?
or am I talking to myself here?

muggins

#28 Post by muggins »

Sorry to hear it didn't work with a live CD. Actually I'm also experiencing sound problems and, from memory, it's also involving Intel8x0 module. (I'm currently away from laptop for another week).

Just curious, you mention you have a cy25 laptop. Which manufacturer? Also, does sound work with BIOS? e.g In my case machine used to make sound when power cord plugged/unplugged, regardless of whether puppy booted, but the sound is now defunct.

rjbrewer

#29 Post by rjbrewer »

ZAPZAP

If you go to (setup>configure startup>load kernel modules) you
will find a few intel 8x0 modules and a place to blacklist
unwanted modules.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

ZAPZAP

Intel8x0

#30 Post by ZAPZAP »

hi muggins,

its and 'rm cy25' though i think the specs are the same as the samsung model. no option to test sound with bios, and while were on the subject the bios, 'pheonix', is crap, poor options. the speaker 'pops' when the laptop turns on and off, thats it.

from what i can gather, alsa is able to identify the soundcard, load the relevent modules, but then cannot configure them, and as a result unloads them. Why this happens is beyond me. I tried asking the guys on irc chat, but they just got shirty and started abusing me, nice chaps that they are.

rjbrewer, thanks for suggestion, i have tried these settings with no luck , though i am continuing to try combinations of blacklisted modules, to see if there is a bad one.

ZAPZAP

Intel8x0

#31 Post by ZAPZAP »

hi muggins,

its and 'rm cy25' though i think the specs are the same as the samsung model. no option to test sound with bios, and while were on the subject the bios, 'pheonix', is crap, poor options. the speaker 'pops' when the laptop turns on and off, thats it.

from what i can gather, alsa is able to identify the soundcard, load the relevent modules, but then cannot configure them, and as a result unloads them. Why this happens is beyond me. I tried asking the guys on irc chat, but they just got shirty and started abusing me, nice chaps that they are.

rjbrewer, thanks for suggestion, i have tried these settings with no luck , though i am continuing to try combinations of blacklisted modules, to see if there is a bad one.

ZAPZAP

Intel8x0

#32 Post by ZAPZAP »

hello again, booted with ubcd, and yes sound works fine in bios